Replacing steering wheel

Interior

1. Chuck's 1967

Chuck's 1967 Member

Local Time:
    5:26 AM
    I just purchased a wooden rally style wheel from PG Classics for my '67 Charger. It's made in China but a big improvement from my cracked plastic wheel that's hiding under a leather wrap. But, my old semi-circular horn bar isn't going to work with the rally wheel. Do I need different retainers, or will what's there now work with the center mounted horn button? I'm striving to retain a chromed center button as a padded button would look out of place and not match my copper colored interior. I was hoping to just pull the old wheel and replace with new, but with the need to convert the horn system it looks like it will be a little more involved. Any information on parts needed and where to get them, would be much appreciated.

2. JimCoronette

JimCoronette Well-Known Member

Local Time:
    6:26 AM
    Sounds like you have a 68-70 wheel. Do you have a link to it on PGCs site?

3. Chuck's 1967

Chuck's 1967 Member

Local Time:
    Jim, Yes I have the link and just looked at the item on their site. It says the wheel is for 66-69 A-B-C Bodies. I found some factory rallye steering wheels for 67 Charger on ebay. But conditions are generally pretty worn and I'd still have the horn button issue.

4. 440 4 speed

440 4 speed Well-Known Member

Local Time:
    It might be worthwhile to try and locate a different adapter that a chrome center will work with, by that I mean the piece that the center tightens to. Sorry I might not be saying it correctly.

5. Chuck's 1967

Chuck's 1967 Member

Local Time:
    I'm wondering if the retention ring that holds my current chrome center cant still be used. I'm going to need to do some testing. I hate to take things apart until I know I have all the right parts to put it back together. But, sometimes the only way to find out is to dig into something.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.