• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Replacing steering wheel

Chuck's 1967

Local time
1:43 PM
Reaction score
I just purchased a wooden rally style wheel from PG Classics for my '67 Charger. It's made in China but a big improvement from my cracked plastic wheel that's hiding under a leather wrap. But, my old semi-circular horn bar isn't going to work with the rally wheel. Do I need different retainers, or will what's there now work with the center mounted horn button? I'm striving to retain a chromed center button as a padded button would look out of place and not match my copper colored interior. I was hoping to just pull the old wheel and replace with new, but with the need to convert the horn system it looks like it will be a little more involved. Any information on parts needed and where to get them, would be much appreciated.

Jim, Yes I have the link and just looked at the item on their site. It says the wheel is for 66-69 A-B-C Bodies. I found some factory rallye steering wheels for 67 Charger on ebay. But conditions are generally pretty worn and I'd still have the horn button issue.

I just purchased a wooden rally style wheel from PG Classics for my '67 Charger. It's made in China but a big improvement from my cracked plastic wheel that's hiding under a leather wrap. But, my old semi-circular horn bar isn't going to work with the rally wheel. Do I need different retainers, or will what's there now work with the center mounted horn button? I'm striving to retain a chromed center button as a padded button would look out of place and not match my copper colored interior. I was hoping to just pull the old wheel and replace with new, but with the need to convert the horn system it looks like it will be a little more involved. Any information on parts needed and where to get them, would be much appreciated.
It might be worthwhile to try and locate a different adapter that a chrome center will work with, by that I mean the piece that the center tightens to. Sorry I might not be saying it correctly.

I'm wondering if the retention ring that holds my current chrome center cant still be used. I'm going to need to do some testing. I hate to take things apart until I know I have all the right parts to put it back together. But, sometimes the only way to find out is to dig into something.

Auto Transport Service
Back