• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Restoring An Old Mopar With An Extremely Bad Back?

TorRed

Local time
1:36 AM
Reaction score
So I've been putting off restoring my 70 Roadrunner for many years and now in my mid-60's my back has gone from an occasional issue to now being a total mess. I've got several things going on in my back at the same time that are contributing to it becoming a full disability. The Neurologist I just saw basically said what I've done in the past is not what I can do going forward. No heavy lifting at all, not much bending, try to keep my back perfectly straight while sitting and standing, lose weight & strengthen my core. Best case I'll be able to avoid surgery but even with surgery still can't do anything heavy, lots of bending over or twisting, etc.

Are any of you still working on cars with similar issues? How are you handling the heavier parts of restoring a vehicle. I've got a price for a rotisserie restoration but that price has risen to over $100k and just isn't in the cards. Not sure how much less it will cost to farm out each section (motor, trans, rear end, body work & vinyl top & paint, interior work, etc.) separately. Trying to decide if it's time to hang up the wrenches and concentrate on complete running vehicles.

Thanks, Jim

Last edited:
Bought myself a 2 post lift as a 50th Birthday present to myself. Without it, even back then and now at 62, I'd never turn a wrench. Had a three story building collapse on my when I was 18 years old, and my backs been purdy much done since then. I just get up and go, then quit when I know I'm pushing too far. I'm just glad I'm top side and get to do what I want, as many including our Daughter that we lost at 30 don't get to have "fun" anymore. That's probably my biggest motivator. That and a hot tub at the end of the day!!
1969dartswingercleanup 334.JPG

Bought myself a 2 post lift as a 50th Birthday present to myself. Without it, even back then and now at 62, I'd never turn a wrench. Had a three story building collapse on my when I was 18 years old, and my backs been purdy much done since then. I just get up and go, then quit when I know I'm pushing too far. I'm just glad I'm top side and get to do what I want, as many including our Daughter that we lost at 30 don't get to have "fun" anymore. That's probably my biggest motivator. That and a hot tub at the end of the day!!
View attachment 1584513
I'm very sorry to hear about your daughter, I can't imagine losing mine. Sounds like we're dealing with similar back issues, mine was from six years of football including a little college and the hits especially in college felt like a house falling on me. I wanted a lift but we're in a 'retirement' community where I live now lifts have to be accommodated by building a custom house which wasn't in the cards financially either. I agree with you working on the car could be my motivation to be the best I can be, but even so it would be against my doctor's advice. Ugh.

My back is not too good either, one of the reasons I retired a few years ago. For you, I would think you need to decide if you are more interested in working on a project, or driving a car. If it's working on a car mostly, then as suggested above, a lift, and I like those hydraulic lift carts to lessen the strain on the back. Otherwise sell your project, and buy the best done car that you can afford.

Had a similar setback in 2013. Installed a lift about 3 years ago and it's been a game changer on my body. It renewed hope in me being able to keep my hands in the game of keeping these old rigs running for years to come.

IMG_5395.jpeg

Hearing the truth can be very hard but....
It would be smarter to buy a completed car. The bad back will make it nearly impossible to lean over to do pretty much everything to restore a car.
Bodywork, engine building and installation, the entire interior is enough to twist a man into human pretzel when you're doing headliners or dash work, installing carpet and seats, etc.
Maintenance and repairs are one thing, a full restoration is quite another. They take a lot of time for a healthy person. A person that aches all day long will be miserable.
A finished car can be bought cheaper anyway. It won't be exactly what you want but may be close to it.

8 herniated disc's here, and have had them long before I retired. Morning workouts, stretching, thinking smart about every move when doing "heavy" work, AND a 2-post lift, make it happen for me, along with a Great Chiropractor I've seen for 20+ years. Pain is relevant to your state of mind, and sometimes you just need to push through it when you know it will never be "right" again...

my back is pretty good; but everything else hurts, a lot...... it's not easy work, and I'm by myself 99% of the time........ I don't hate it yet

Hearing the truth can be very hard but....
It would be smarter to buy a completed car. The bad back will make it nearly impossible to lean over to do pretty much everything to restore a car.
Bodywork, engine building and installation, the entire interior is enough to twist a man into human pretzel when you're doing headliners or dash work, installing carpet and seats, etc.
Maintenance and repairs are one thing, a full restoration is quite another. They take a lot of time for a healthy person. A person that aches all day long will be miserable.
A finished car can be bought cheaper anyway. It won't be exactly what you want but may be close to it.
You've caught on to what I've been doing now eh... LOL

Well, kudos to having the perseverance to get it done.
I'm always shocked at how guys in cold climates get out there and do things.

Thank you every one. I've gotten a variety of responses which I expected. Unfortunately, my garage has barely 8 ft tall ceilings and checking into creating a raised area for the car to 10 ft would void all sorts of home structure warranties on our new house. So a lift just isn't an option, not in this house and the last thing I'd want to do to my back is move again! Thanks again for your thoughtful responses, much appreciated.

Jim

Saw the title of this thread and was tempted to try to come up with a joke about a Mopar with a broken back or something, but I certainly don't want to rub sand in the wounds of someone with health challenges!
My back got fused years ago after breaking my back in an accident and I have felt I ended up with a stronger back after that (bionic man), but the rest of the fractures I got that fateful evening left me much worse for wear, and nowadays I need to remember to set a milk crate on the ground by where I'm working on a car to use to help me get back up when I'm done, or need to go get a tool, or else I'd risk being stuck sitting there on my butt on the concrete forever trying to figure out how I'll ever get up again.
After my last brake job on my compact car I felt pretty beat up and achy for the rest of the day, which got me bummed out wondering how much later my wrenching days will continue?
My next house has to have a garage with room for a lift or I'm doomed!!!
My buddy with a small 2 car garage picked up one of these and although not as useful as a full size lift, it really helps. You can sit on a rolling stool to shuffle around under the car or along side it to work on it.
https://www.northerntool.com/products/quickjack-extended-length-portable-car-lift-package-5000-lb-capacity-110-volts-model-bl-5000tlx-110-pu-107854?cm_mmc=Google-LIA&utm_source=Google_LIA&utm_medium=Automotive > Automotive Lifts > Scissor Lifts&utm_campaign=QuickJack&utm_content=107854&ogmap=SHP|LIA|GOOG|STND|c|SITEWIDE|||||2076951023|78255573002&gad_source=1&gclid=EAIaIQobChMIo6ynv5vCgwMVMOsWBR3KigMyEAQYCiABEgIUJ_D_BwE&gclsrc=aw.ds

So I've been putting off restoring my 70 Roadrunner for many years and now in my mid-60's my back has gone from an occasional issue to now being a total mess. I've got several things going on in my back at the same time that are contributing to it becoming a full disability. The Neurologist I just saw basically said what I've done in the past is not what I can do going forward. No heavy lifting at all, not much bending, try to keep my back perfectly straight while sitting and standing, lose weight & strengthen my core. Best case I'll be able to avoid surgery but even with surgery still can't do anything heavy, lots of bending over or twisting, etc.

Are any of you still working on cars with similar issues? How are you handling the heavier parts of restoring a vehicle. I've got a price for a rotisserie restoration but that price has risen to over $100k and just isn't in the cards. Not sure how much less it will cost to farm out each section (motor, trans, rear end, body work & vinyl top & paint, interior work, etc.) separately. Trying to decide if it's time to hang up the wrenches and concentrate on complete running vehicles.

Thanks, Jim
Had back problems back in the early 1990's I was a automotive mechanic, did a lot of heavy work, transmissions, engines, etc. Doctor told me you need to find a different line of work, or I will operate on you and then you will have to find a different line of work. I took a job as an automotive instructor at a local technical college. I started watching my weight and doing stretching and strength exercises every morning and still do to this day. It took about a year of light work, and exercises and my back has been pretty good for the last 20 years. I was diagnosed with lumbar stenosis and arthritis in my back. Doctor told me one of my discs was so gone that one of the vertebrae fused themselves together without any operation. Your issues may be different, but that is what worked for me. I am 67 now and piddle in the garage everyday working on project cars. I just don't lift anything stupid heavy, and don't try and lean over a fender for long periods of time. As soon as I feel a pain starting take a break and sometimes lay in the floor and stretch, and I will feel a minor popping and I am good to go. And the thing on the exercises is you have to do them religiously, not just every now and then. My girlfriend had a curved spine, and they operated and put in a rod to straighten her back, she had a lot of pain, finally talked her into starting easy and doing some of the exercises I have been doing and now she walks 2 miles a day and has very little pain.

1 suggestion, works for me
Get the car up at a better working height,
less bending over
jack it up & use cribbing if need be, to be safe

maybe buy or rent, borrow etc. a rotisserie,
if you're getting really deep into it

simple stuff, like
roll around on a creeper, instead of on the hard/cold floor
put down cardboard to have some cushion
if you can't jack it up enough
make for easy access, try to work smarter, not harder...

Good luck

Think you should post pictures of your car. Maybe it doesn't need a resto to make it a fun driver.

I restored my Charger Daytona ten + years ago while recovering from 2nd and 3rd degree burns, including a skin graft. Bad back, pfffft!

Of course, I’m being sarcastic because I too know how painful back issues can be.

After surgeries on my back, neck, and hands, I’m amazed by how much I can still do. Crazy heavy lifting is no longer a do with a few tricks to manage some of it, making a couple of mover carts out of 2x4’s and HD wheels. Using the proper lifting techniques isn’t a myth, wish I’d have known it sooner remembering ALL the times I didn’t. I have little doubt it might have preserved my back. Kind of the same wearing hearing protection when I didn’t. Moved a transmission easier than I thought using the cart. Or the old-adage – get HELP for some stuff. I do more often than I once did.

Another thing I wish I’d have done sooner is using knee-pads. Last few years have worn a couple pair out. Also, my wife bought a gardening aid that opens up providing handle-bars for getting back up and a padded surface for kneeling or squatting down on a knee.

A couple herniated discs and damaged sciatic nerve, surgery years ago helped but the car accident in 2019 that wasn`t my fault didn`t. I am now on disability and limited to how much I can do and how long I can do it. I`m still working on my cars as much as I can. I recently started the resto of my `70 road runner (thread is on here) at 64 years old and it will most likely be my last but I will continue to work on them as long as I can. I don`t have a lift but I have a homemade rottiserie that will help. Two things I`ve been thru that I don`t wish on anybody I like - a bad divorce and a bad back!!
:lol:

I must concur with most of the above suggestions. I am in a similar condition but, with daily stretching and 3 times a week, 30 minute exercise routines I manage quite well. I too lost about 50 pounds after being large all my life and that made the largest impact on my back pain. Next Tuesday I will be 74 and hope to keep moving to at least 80! I ride my quad over 100 miles each week (I do ride all year round with heated clothing) and was really hoping to put some miles on my snowmobile this year but, Ma Nature has other ideas. I wish all my Mopar addicted friends a good new year!
Mike

Auto Transport Service
Back