• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Reverse Light Switch On Shifter 69 Charger

Data Plate

Local time
12:49 AM
Reaction score
My reverse lights never worked when I took the lenses out it had no bulbs so I put bulbs in and the lights stay on when driving. I figured its the reverse light switch on the shifter so I pulled the console. The switch is not there but my problem is the wiring is gone also from under the dash. Where can I pick up the 2 leads I need to connect it to the switch, What color should I be looking for. Thanks

Hmmm.. Don't know the specific wire colors but..
The switch is on the transmission, there are (3) terminals the outside (2) terminals trigger the reverse lites and the single center terminal is the ground for the neutral starter circuit. .

Just my $0.02....

Green and pink? Or maybe it’s my American auto wire harness that way

I heard wiring reverse lights all the time was a 70s thing, don’t know why though :lol:

Just unplug the switch on the transmission. The lights should go out. If they do its either the switch or a problem in the rooster comb inside the transmission on the valve body.

Had to be wires coming out of the harness just don't know what to look for, Maybe soon has a console out of there car and they can tell me what color wires are feeding the switch and for where on the harness
69 is not in the car. Period.

There's no switch on the side of the shifter I just don't know what to hook it up to
For cripes sake will you read what you have been told above. 1969 has no neutral safety or backup wires inside the car. None. Your wires for both functions are on the transmission.

no reason to get nasty im here for help not to get yelled at

8FA9A814-EA5C-46AF-8167-A36101D0B354.jpeg

65F85AF3-6789-40B5-8F89-73B5171D118F.jpeg

I will take your advice over a big company and not buy it

Last edited:
Shocking, OER getting an application wrong? The pictured switch is a ’66-67 application. A mentioned, for ’69 the automatic reverse light switch is combined with the NSS and is mounted to the transmission, wire harness runs up to a three-way disconnect near the bulkhead connector in the engine compartment.
69 NSS.jpg

NSS-2.jpg

Last edited:
When I got Fred a dozen years ago, the previous owner had removed any/all wiring for the reverse lights,
harness and all (including the part that goes into the main block in the firewall).

I fetched one of these from the parts store (they're cheap and fit a gazillion Mopars for decades):
LS-201_Angle__ra_p.jpgLS-201_Front__ra_p.jpg
Wired the thing myself, using the appropriate gauge wiring and a couple spade connectors.
(I really ought to get a proper plug for it one day, I suppose).
They work fine:
finished 5.png

When I got Fred a dozen years ago, the previous owner had removed any/all wiring for the reverse lights,
harness and all (including the part that goes into the main block in the firewall).

I fetched one of these from the parts store (they're cheap and fit a gazillion Mopars for decades):
View attachment 1408660View attachment 1408661
To be clear, that one is for a manual transmission.

Auto Transport Service
Back