• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Richard Rawlings buys a Superbird.

440 PHIXX

The Island of Misfit Mopars
FBBO Gold Member
Local time
7:07 AM
Reaction score

Nice looking car. Buckets and a 4 speed… I’d want the console as well but, cool. I don’t think they made many in white. Not a color I’d choose first. And not a #’s OEM so it can be driven and beat on a bit. $200k. That’s almost double what it would have been just 2 years ago.

If I listened correctly it was an original Hemi bird. That makes the number more tolerable. Sort of.

If I listened correctly it was an original Hemi bird. That makes the number more tolerable. Sort of.
Yeah, and he said he did something with the Hemi. It must have also been not original. Nobody would split an original Hemi from its Superbird in today's environment.

It’s a 440 VIN

17% of them were white, the second most common color behind lemon twist yellow at 23%

hopefully he sells it soon and doesn’t make it to any of the aero car meets.

13B726EA-FD79-4242-B74C-CAEEA0B96759.jpeg

It’s a 440 VIN

17% of them were white, the second most common color behind lemon twist yellow at 23%

hopefully he sells it soon and doesn’t make it to any of the aero car meets.
Maybe they were repainted a different color. I never saw one at any of the shows I went to. At least I don’t remember. They offered white, it’s sad they didn’t offer black. The vinyl top would almost blend in.

This was a Bird purchased a couple years back with a Hemi in it, by the red_dirt_mopars guys from Instagram, and he pulled the Hemi out and put a date correct 440 in it. Says it still has the numbers transmission.

Poor Superbird!
Idk… $200k for a non numbers block. Mind you, to me that’s a GM thing. Because until 1972, no GM muscle car or Corvette had the engine designation in the VIN. But it does matter when you are buying or selling a Mopar. I’d think the Superbird owners would think that is a more than fair price for it. And Richard doesn’t get to me. I enjoyed quite a few of the GMG episodes. :D

This was a Bird purchased a couple years back with a Hemi in it, by the red_dirt_mopars guys from Instagram, and he pulled the Hemi out and put a date correct 440 in it. Says it still has the numbers transmission.
I had a guy tell me that because I don’t have a broadcast sheet for my Charger, that the fender tag that reads E87 D21 couldn’t be used to authenticate the car. He said they reproduce fender tags. He forgot the transmission stamp. :p And I’ve owned the car since ‘85. The fender tag is original.

It’s all relative. 200k to him might be 2 or 20k to one of us. Whatever makes you happy.

Not sure how someone can disagree with something that I'M glad about... but what ever floats your boat!

Seems like a lot of explaining necessary to the prospective buyer.
Considering he is looking at a car of that "value".
1. Did the buyer really need the gutter lip number explained to him?
2. If the engine is gone, I fail to see the emphasis of the gutter lip number.

He's already painted it Hugger Orange; then put in air bags and an LS. He gets paid by the views, good or bad.

Mine's an EW1 White car... so glad the guy that owned it before me painted it Yellow in '88 !
Your car has been "pre-disastered". I have a Triumph like that. I didn't take it so far from original that it can never go back, but that gives me the freedom to do whatever strikes my whims without regret.

the world according to garp house crash

“Stock sucks” is the consensus on the wheels and tires, then look at his orange car with dog dish and whitewalls. LOL

why does the car have bucket seats with bench seat door panels?

why is the steering wheel off center going down the highway?

Last edited:
Oh geez, who in their right mind would sell one to him!!???

Auto Transport Service
Back