• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Richard Rawlings buys a Superbird.

Idk… $200k for a non numbers block. Mind you, to me that’s a GM thing. Because until 1972, no GM muscle car or Corvette had the engine designation in the VIN. But it does matter when you are buying or selling a Mopar. I’d think the Superbird owners would think that is a more than fair price for it. And Richard doesn’t get to me. I enjoyed quite a few of the GMG episodes. :D
I enjoyed watching some of his shows.....until his right hand man left. Can't remember his name though.

Am I out of touch with reality, a 440 Superbird for 200K? It's not a numbers car as such. Anyone can build or have built a hopped up 440. My thoughts were $155-$170, am I wrong?

Am I out of touch with reality, a 440 Superbird for 200K? It's not a numbers car as such. Anyone can build or have built a hopped up 440. My thoughts were $155-$170, am I wrong?
I don't know Jerry, but when mine comes back from paint I have some serious thinking to do.. "is it time"... lol

I don't know Jerry, but when mine comes back from paint I have some serious thinking to do.. "is it time"... lol
I know the feeling for $200K, the attachment gets mighty light. I stuck my foot in my mouth one time already on my Viper when I told a guy I wouldn't take less than what I had in it. Now it's gone.

I know the feeling for $200K, the attachment gets mighty light. I stuck my foot in my mouth one time already on my Viper when I told a guy I wouldn't take less than what I had in it. Now it's gone.
Yep... $200 US is $267k Canuck buck these days. Damn near a $240K profit for me...

Seems like a lot of explaining necessary to the prospective buyer.
Considering he is looking at a car of that "value".
1. Did the buyer really need the gutter lip number explained to him?
2. If the engine is gone, I fail to see the emphasis of the gutter lip number.
2. The engine gone just means the original motor is, well, gone....... The emphasis on the rear gutter lip stamp adds creditability that the car is NOT a rebodied car, i.e in this case, that it is a real Superbird. Now, Superbirds are unique in terms of the radiator core support number stamp.. Not all Superbirds had their radiator core supports stamped with the ID number that matches the gutter stamped ID....

Seems like a lot of explaining necessary to the prospective buyer.
Considering he is looking at a car of that "value".
1. Did the buyer really need the gutter lip number explained to him?
2. If the engine is gone, I fail to see the emphasis of the gutter lip number.
That might be the silliest thing I’ve seen on here. No. I take that back. It is. :D

As I stated earlier. It’s a Mopar, and the VIN clearly states what it is, original block or not. The gutter # shows it isn’t just a VIN affixed to a non original body. Idk… A rebody with a VIN on the block, or an original body with a different 440 block, that was the same as every other 440 block for the year. I think when hoovie got an “original” Hemi Superbird for $130g earlier this year, buyers felt the same way.

Way to go Richard. A step up from that Mustang. Thanks for keeping the value, and interest, up on our old Mopars. Congrats to him.

That might be the silliest thing I’ve seen on here. No. I take that back. It is. :D

As I stated earlier. It’s a Mopar, and the VIN clearly states what it is, original block or not. The gutter # shows it isn’t just a VIN affixed to a non original body. Idk… A rebody with a VIN on the block, or an original body with a different 440 block, that was the same as every other 440 block for the year. I think when hoovie got an “original” Hemi Superbird for $130g earlier this year, buyers felt the same way.
I'm not a newbie and during the years I've seen silliness gone to seed over how many angels can dance on the head of MOPAR wrist pin.
Endless debates.
And when the only original metal on the finished car is the roof.
Or the only original parts left contain the "numbers" but it's approved by the correct people.
As far as I know the only unique part on any car is the vin tag. (In the cars under consideration)
The only item that could not be reproduce. (Legally)

2. The engine gone just means the original motor is, well, gone....... The emphasis on the rear gutter lip stamp adds creditability that the car is NOT a rebodied car, i.e in this case, that it is a real Superbird. Now, Superbirds are unique in terms of the radiator core support number stamp.. Not all Superbirds had their radiator core supports stamped with the ID number that matches the gutter stamped ID....

Note that I said emphasis and not "importance" or "significance".
Curious.
Please pick one of these on the post 1968 Chrysler car you are hypothetically going to buy.
1. Original matching motor with a replaced left trunk gutter.
2. Non-original motor but with the original left trunk gutter.
No option "3" allowed.
(Do we transfer the number the new gutter? )

I've seen 1969 cars that didn't have the core support number and yet appeared original.
So, I've got my doubts that Superbirds have the that distinction without exception.
Others have found that IIRC.
Documented wrong year wheels on a car in Oregon rings a bell.
Or a legitimate yet mis-stamped engine block.
Rebody just seems a meaningless buzz word many times in 50 year old cars.
With money or the law involved. (Or ego?)
Understanding that there is the sentimental/emotional component to them.

I think some of the prices on tv shows are inflated just for the show. Who knows what Richard really gave for it. The white car is an original 440 car that came with a 426 Hemi engine that had some issues. The red Daytona used to belong to Rudy Ramon.

I'm not a newbie and during the years I've seen silliness gone to seed over how many angels can dance on the head of MOPAR wrist pin.
Endless debates.
And when the only original metal on the finished car is the roof.
Or the only original parts left contain the "numbers" but it's approved by the correct people.
As far as I know the only unique part on any car is the vin tag. (In the cars under consideration)
The only item that could not be reproduce. (Legally)

Note that I said emphasis and not "importance" or "significance".
Curious.
Please pick one of these on the post 1968 Chrysler car you are hypothetically going to buy.
1. Original matching motor with a replaced left trunk gutter.
2. Non-original motor but with the original left trunk gutter.
No option "3" allowed.
(Do we transfer the number the new gutter? )

I've seen 1969 cars that didn't have the core support number and yet appeared original.
So, I've got my doubts that Superbirds have the that distinction without exception.
Others have found that IIRC.
Documented wrong year wheels on a car in Oregon rings a bell.
Or a legitimate yet mis-stamped engine block.
Rebody just seems a meaningless buzz word many times in 50 year old cars.
With money or the law involved. (Or ego?)
Understanding that there is the sentimental/emotional component to them.
I’ve seen Mopars with a matching number engine block, and 70% Asian sheet metal produced in 2018 sell for a higher price than an original Chrysler production sheet metal car with a different “number” engine block that Chrysler produced. That doesn’t make sense to me. The GM guys use the matching number engine block to verify that the car came with that engine option. As I said before, an L78 396 Chevelle, or an L72 427 Corvette did not have the engine option in the VIN. They need the matching sequence number to prove originality.

I think some of the prices on tv shows are inflated just for the show. Who knows what Richard really gave for it. The white car is an original 440 car that came with a 426 Hemi engine that had some issues. The red Daytona used to belong to Rudy Ramon.
Nowhere in the video does he pay in full or say anything about when full payment will be made.

I’ve seen Mopars with a matching number engine block, and 70% Asian sheet metal produced in 2018 sell for a higher price than an original Chrysler production sheet metal car with a different “number” engine block that Chrysler produced. That doesn’t make sense to me. The GM guys use the matching number engine block to verify that the car came with that engine option. As I said before, an L78 396 Chevelle, or an L72 427 Corvette did not have the engine option in the VIN. They need the matching sequence number to prove originality.

To me a Chevy is like a cat at a dog show.
Or a dog at a cat show.
Whichever.

To me a Chevy is like a cat at a dog show.
Or a dog at a cat show.
Whichever.
Not just Chevy, all GM cars up until the ‘72 MY with no engine designation in the VIN. I’m guessing you haven’t seen the recent sales of mid year 427 Corvettes. They make most of our 440 Mopars seem affordable.

Pray to God he doesn't try to made a "rust patina" , air suspension, 25 " rims, to give the car the " gas monkey style" whatever the hell that is, and screw the car completely, still an idiot to me.
Remember that Lincoln monstrosity?

Last edited:
Auto Transport Service
Back