• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Road idiots!

I always get stuck behind the idiot driving 10-20 under the speed limit.
Or someone giving up their right-of-way and letting someone in while holding up everyone behin

I was hoping it was just Chicagoland, and I'd share the roads with courteous competent drivers someday when I manage to flee this state.
The authorities have seemingly given up even trying to enforce the traffic laws around here. I wish I could be appointed some sort of road overlord with the authority to pull licenses on the spot when I observe reckless and dangerous drivers. I'd revoke a number of licenses each day!
It's gotten so bad on the roads here that the barbarians are not only not afraid of getting in trouble, they feel emboldened to attack cops whenever they feel like it. And apparently face no consequences as I don't see any reports of any of these animals getting arrested.
ISP investigating after mob attacks squad vehicle on I-90 near Division Street
Chicago street racers attack cops who tried to stop them doing donuts
I am shocked at how out of control and uncivilized society has become.

I was hoping it was just Chicagoland, and I'd share the roads with courteous competent drivers someday when I manage to flee this state.
The authorities have seemingly given up even trying to enforce the traffic laws around here. I wish I could be appointed some sort of road overlord with the authority to pull licenses on the spot when I observe reckless and dangerous drivers. I'd revoke a number of licenses each day!
It's gotten so bad on the roads here that the barbarians are not only not afraid of getting in trouble, they feel emboldened to attack cops whenever they feel like it. And apparently face no consequences as I don't see any reports of any of these animals getting arrested.
Great post...... TOO MANY people...

pretty much all of SF/Oakland to Vacaville from the bay, up the I80 corridor
is full of them, transients & transplants (non-natives) from points east of Calif.

lots of "ladies" doing phone, texting & makeup while driving right next to you at 70+
on a damn bridge no less, is the worst

people cutting in & out going nowhere fast, in stop & go traffic
they know you care more about your classic
than the throw away foriegn crapbox or that toaster on wheels they drive

where I live NOW we don't have 'a freeway' full of commuters/********
for about 70 or so miles west or south, none at all to the north or east really

I can't believe I drove in that **** for 38+ years...
even in Alaska 2 lane highway in & out of Anchorage, gridlocked

far from it now

Last edited:
ISP investigating after mob attacks squad vehicle on I-90 near Division Street
Chicago street racers attack cops who tried to stop them doing donuts
They've brought it on themselves allowing all this to perpetuate and to escalate. They did nothing about the rioting and that tells people, if I can get away with that, what else can I do?

Last evening, I was driving the Coronet to go pick up parts at the local parts emporium. I'm driving on the Interstate, at about 80 or so, just enjoying the mild temperatures, the rumble of the exhaust, and the nice day. Minding my business...

Some meth-head asswagon in a clapped out, no-exhaust, 15-year-old Ram POS comes alongside the Coronet, raps the throttle a few times in a vain attempt at attention-seeking, then barrels off down the number one lane. Probably online right after, claiming he "smoked" a yellow Dodge. "Smoked", alright. Running really rich, he ought to check the "check engine" light. Dumbass.

Not thirty seconds later, some hillbilly Bozo in a lifted F150 POS comes up, looks towards me and the car, and wants to race...sure. I let him do the asshole thing and drive away in his bucket-of-crap Ford. But, I saw the OHP cop behind us. Ford-boy did not, and got his dumbass pulled over. Big smiles for me!

Oh, but the fun isn't done yet. One block from the store, I've got the green and start across the intersection, when a jerkoff in a beater WRX starts to make the left turn across my path. I lay on the horn, and the little bastard flips me off.

All I wanna do is enjoy my car without drama. Why TF can't people just drive. Aim the car. Pay attention to traffic. Quit being an asshole, and just...drive...the...damned...car!
Driving our cars definitely brings out the jack-asses.

Have to admit having driven around Chicago for biz or visiting relatives for 40+ years, tollway, include that stretch of armpit I80 to I65, my inclination is to do it as quickly as I can. I’ll find a fast-moving (understatement) convoy and join them. Don’t know what it is about that area – don’t like spending any more time there than I have to, lol.

Have to admit having driven around Chicago for biz or visiting relatives for 40+ years, tollway, include that stretch of armpit I80 to I65, my inclination is to do it as quickly as I can. I’ll find a fast-moving (understatement) convoy and join them. Don’t know what it is about that area – don’t like spending any more time there than I have to, lol.
That area is bad, though I am not sure if it's the worst here or not. Personally I dread the area of I-55 just west of 355. I cringe on the stretch of I-55 from 355 to just past Plainfield as far as crazy drivers go. And now they are doing a lot of construction there so it's even worse.
I rarely have to travel there, usually only if I am headed to Morris which is where the area's biggest and all around best monthly cruise is and also one of the biggest car shows in Northern Illinois is, in October. But even only traveling that stretch rarely, it still sticks out in my mind as a white knuckle drive due to the volume of terrible drivers that are always present there.
I must note I haven't traveled through the city recently via 90 or the Ike and they may be worst, the traffic was bad enough but in recent years add highway shootings happening regularly=avoid at all cost!

That area is bad, though I am not sure if it's the worst here or not. Personally I dread the area of I-55 just west of 355. I cringe on the stretch of I-55 from 355 to just past Plainfield as far as crazy drivers go. And now they are doing a lot of construction there so it's even worse.
I rarely have to travel there, usually only if I am headed to Morris which is where the area's biggest and all around best monthly cruise is and also one of the biggest car shows in Northern Illinois is, in October. But even only traveling that stretch rarely, it still sticks out in my mind as a white knuckle drive due to the volume of terrible drivers that are always present there.
I must note I haven't traveled through the city recently via 90 or the Ike and they may be worst, the traffic was bad enough but in recent years add highway shootings happening regularly=avoid at all cost!
Have some nasty memories driving I80 east or west btw I65 and the tollway. Years ago, was stopped due to an accident; all 72 lanes bumper to bumper – traveled three miles in about the same stretch of time. Funny with all the times I’ve driven the tollway, seems as though you cannot drive fast enough to find a string of vehicles going faster. Leave the 85mph convey and join a 90mph one. Have a question though: When is the system NOT under construction? Lol

55 near 355 in the Bolingbrook area is especially bad right now as they are totally redoing the on off ramps and configuration, and I think might be adding an interchange too.
That area is one of the only places in the Chicago region that is growing as of late, most of the rest of the area is in a slow decline.
80 is really bad near Joliet now as a bridge that was badly deteriorated is being rebuilt. And 294 in the southwest suburbs area is in the middle of a big project.
At least as far as the area highways and tollways are concerned there, those are the only major construction sites I am aware of this construction season around here.
Enforce the construction area reduced speed zones and they'd get enough money from fines to pay off the states 100B+ pension deficit. Not sure why they haven't thought of that, instead they just raise taxes constantly and plate fees and such on a yearly basis.
Not looking forward to getting the plates for my new trailer, I think the yearly trailer plate fee is around $150.
And I was not amused to see that tolls when towing a trailer aren't twice what they are when not towing, which was what I'd assumed being 4 axles instead of 2, instead they are about 4X more.

55 near 355 in the Bolingbrook area is especially bad right now as they are totally redoing the on off ramps and configuration, and I think might be adding an interchange too.
That area is one of the only places in the Chicago region that is growing as of late, most of the rest of the area is in a slow decline.
80 is really bad near Joliet now as a bridge that was badly deteriorated is being rebuilt. And 294 in the southwest suburbs area is in the middle of a big project.
At least as far as the area highways and tollways are concerned there, those are the only major construction sites I am aware of this construction season around here.
Enforce the construction area reduced speed zones and they'd get enough money from fines to pay off the states 100B+ pension deficit. Not sure why they haven't thought of that, instead they just raise taxes constantly and plate fees and such on a yearly basis.
Not looking forward to getting the plates for my new trailer, I think the yearly trailer plate fee is around $150.
And I was not amused to see that tolls when towing a trailer aren't twice what they are when not towing, which was what I'd assumed being 4 axles instead of 2, instead they are about 4X more.
Was the only member of da family born in WI. Well, my elder brother was darn near born on the old North Shore train just making it to Chicago. My mother was from Chi-town and my dad was from central ILL before moving to Chicago for a job. He was transferred in 1950 to aid opening up a new plant in Milwaukee a few months after getting married. My mom witnessed John Dillinger’s demise having been at the theater. My mother was always homesick traveling to stay with her folks taking the train. Lot’s of fun (and not) teasing with the beloved relatives about da Bears & Packers, Brewers & Cubs (and those who were White Sox fans). All are gone now, leaving fond memories...now retired, don't miss all the trips. Now it's the occasional trips south for vacations.

A roundy-bout was put in near me, watching traffic from my backyard and going through it enough, I think these should be renamed ‘sling-shots’.

Most "roundabouts" as you others call it, CIRCLES here. To do them PROPERLY, 1 foot on gas & other on brake pedal, you "dive bomb" into the CIRCLE and keep moving!! Funny listening to "non South Jersey" people freak out about doing this. There are only 5 left of 10 left, 1 being "new" (less then 10 yrs old) by the college, THAT is funny watching youngins go around them.

Last evening, I was driving the Coronet to go pick up parts at the local parts emporium. I'm driving on the Interstate, at about 80 or so, just enjoying the mild temperatures, the rumble of the exhaust, and the nice day. Minding my business...

Some meth-head asswagon in a clapped out, no-exhaust, 15-year-old Ram POS comes alongside the Coronet, raps the throttle a few times in a vain attempt at attention-seeking, then barrels off down the number one lane. Probably online right after, claiming he "smoked" a yellow Dodge. "Smoked", alright. Running really rich, he ought to check the "check engine" light. Dumbass.

Not thirty seconds later, some hillbilly Bozo in a lifted F150 POS comes up, looks towards me and the car, and wants to race...sure. I let him do the asshole thing and drive away in his bucket-of-crap Ford. But, I saw the OHP cop behind us. Ford-boy did not, and got his dumbass pulled over. Big smiles for me!

Oh, but the fun isn't done yet. One block from the store, I've got the green and start across the intersection, when a jerkoff in a beater WRX starts to make the left turn across my path. I lay on the horn, and the little bastard flips me off.

All I wanna do is enjoy my car without drama. Why TF can't people just drive. Aim the car. Pay attention to traffic. Quit being an asshole, and just...drive...the...damned...car!
"Last evening, I was driving the Coronet to go pick up parts at the local parts emporium. I'm driving on the Interstate, at about 80 or so, just enjoying the mild temperatures, the rumble of the exhaust, and the nice day. Minding my business..."

What rear end and trans do you have in that thing? I hate going above 65 in mine. 355 rear end.

I dunno...seems all these reports of "roving idiots" don't really happen much around here?
Folks from all walks tend to be a little more polite about approaching - and typically when there's
no driving going on (parking lots, gas stations, etc.).

I've written a couple stories on here about such encounters - but to the opposite of reports here,
typically if anything I was the one who, at least at first, was rather abrupt in such events, not wanting
to be "held up" by yet another "pointless" conversation.
I'm well past all that now - I fully accept my responsibilities as a steward of the car and actually usually
enjoy such chance encounters.

Folks usually aren't looking to be insulting or rude - to the contrary, they all have stories they want to
share and compliments they want to pay and dammit, it's the least I can do to let them do so.

a8b488133444e0457bd3db238f67c0418a486e2f.jpg

Auto Transport Service
Back