• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Road Runner vin tag missing the "R" character? - Rare?

You can't say "the title wouldn't have an R", unless you have seen the title in question...and there in lies the problem.

You can't say "the title wouldn't have an R", unless you have seen the title in question...and there in lies the problem.
Not what I'm saying. It's a logical deduction. If a vehicle comes in for inspection at any point in time, the title and dash vin will be checked to verify they match and are correct. Also, when the dealer gets the certificate if manufacture from chrysler, they have to match or they legally can't title the vehicle as the vin on the dash does not match the title.
I get what you are saying tho, just didn't want you to think I was assuming something.

One thing to do for sure - make certain you get some form of certification - if from the DMV or Law Enforcement, wherever - before you start dropping a lot of coin into it. I sure as hell wouldn't want to restore a car only to find something was illegal or unsellable.

saw same thing on ebay few years ago,not sure if it was roadrunner or superbee, would not bother me unique

OP: What's the door sticker say? If there is a discrepency there, that would be interesting.
Exactly... what does the door decal say?? Please tell us it wasn't peeled off ! No doubt in my mind that the dash VIN tag is the real deal... the door decal will save your *** at the DMV...

I don't know about where you guys live but here, the DMV doesn't know their *** from a hole in the ground. They wouldn't know the difference between a Road Runner and the space shuttle and could care less.
I bet you won't have any issues.

A buddy of mine has a 70 GTX that is missing the "U" in the dash vin for 440. Both his fender tag and door sticker have the "U" though

I thought up until the 1981 MY… at least from the muscle car era, all American cars had 13 digits in the VIN. And for sure, no GM car had the engine designation in the VIN until 1972. And why “matching numbers” became a thing. It started with Corvettes being documented in the late 70’s.

It all comes down to just another factory sloppy mistake, of which we've seen many different variations through the years. These cars were never meant to become barret-jackson trophy car$$$$$ many years later.

It all comes down to just another factory sloppy mistake, of which we've seen many different variations through the years. These cars were never meant to become barret-jackson trophy car$$$$$ many years later.
Exactly, the whole numbers matching schtick simply helps drive up prices.
We all know how sloppily these cars were put together from the factory. The fun is making them better.

Auto Transport Service
Back