• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Road trips: They highlight the strengths and weaknesses of the car.

Coming from the motorcycle end of the spectrum is the same thing. The more something gets modified from stock, the less versatile it becomes. I think it stems from a position of cost. Engineering teams at an OEM have millions of dollars to spend on R&D, and they take in so many design parameters for which the parts, sub assemblies and the entire vehicle itself have to be taken into account. A manufacturer of exhausts, suspensions, etc have limited resources and design objectives compared to the OEM's, so where you may find for example, a lengthened swing arm or an exhaust system that deletes the cat and focuses the power band high in the register makes the bike handle funny and is a relative bitch to drive around town. Do the OEM's always get it right? No, but they come closer to high levels of all around vehicle performance than a formerly stock vehicle with a sprinkling of aftermarket parts does. And that's why you don't normally see a stretched, nitrous-addled Hayabusa or a lowered, tubbed 6-71 supercharged pro mod B-Body driving to Miami from Phoenix - although there are exceptions to every rule.

Fuel economy was very important to me when I built my Charger. It was one of the reasons I stayed with the 3.23 gears. The other reason was the first two gears of my transmission are lower than 1st gear of a 727. The 5R45RFE (truck trans) that I have is not as desirable as the NAG1 which has a better gear ratio and is a better transmission all around was not swap friendly back when I built my car. If I had it to do now I would definitely use the NAG1.
As it is now, 5th gear gives me a .67:1 ratio and with the rest of the drive train my engine runs about 1730 RPM @ 70 mph.
The car averages around 17 mpg but will do 22 mpg on a road trip.

Coming from the motorcycle end of the spectrum is the same thing. The more something gets modified from stock, the less versatile it becomes. I think it stems from a position of cost. Engineering teams at an OEM have millions of dollars to spend on R&D, and they take in so many design parameters for which the parts, sub assemblies and the entire vehicle itself have to be taken into account. A manufacturer of exhausts, suspensions, etc have limited resources and design objectives compared to the OEM's, so where you may find for example, a lengthened swing arm or an exhaust system that deletes the cat and focuses the power band high in the register makes the bike handle funny and is a relative bitch to drive around town. Do the OEM's always get it right? No, but they come closer to high levels of all around vehicle performance than a formerly stock vehicle with a sprinkling of aftermarket parts does. And that's why you don't normally see a stretched, nitrous-addled Hayabusa or a lowered, tubbed 6-71 supercharged pro mod B-Body driving to Miami from Phoenix - although there are exceptions to every rule.
Interesting screen name.
I don't think that you "Wasted R Time", sir.....

01 face 1.jpg

Last edited:
We got this car in 2004. 3:54 gears. First long trip was in 2006 to the 40th Anniversary TDC Meet in Jefferson Missouri. A little over 1700 miles each way. Set up and adjusted the passenger seat for my wife, took some adjustments. Cheated a bit and used 66 seats.
6:00AM we start out. On the outskirts of the city I fueled up, drove about 100 yards and smoke came out of the dash. No gauges. My wife said what are you going to do? I replied that if I saw steam, it was a coolant issue, smoke or oil smell was motor issue.
When I got the chance I called Jim Rodebaugh, who a lot of Charger people know. I left a message asking him to bring a set of gauges to the show. Which he did. I changed them a the show. Met a lot of people asking what I was doing.
NOTE At this Meet, Carl Cameron told me that there were NEVER any Gold grille medallions made for 1st Generation Chargers. He also said Chrysler had different suppliers, and some started to fade later. I did not have any reason to disbelieve him.
Our trips usually started about 6:00AM and quit about 2:00-3:00 PM. Then we relaxed had a restful evening. Sometimes we made a point of staying over in a place to see or do something.
We enjoy driving our car.
I have to get it together this summer.

Fuel economy is actually important, a 2mpg increase can make the difference between making it to the gas station and walking.

Have you seen Chris birdsong talk about making 18-20 with his chargers? I want to believe him, but idk. If it is true, that’s close to a 400 mile range, talk about score!
My 70 Road Runner has a 500 CID engine making 675 lb ft of torque. It is a monster! But I also have fuel injection, a .7:1 overdrive, and a 3.55 rear. Coming home from the Hot Rod Power Tour I got 16.9 MPG on the highway. Average highway speed was 75 MPH, give or take. Not bad at all for such a large engine. So, if I had a smaller engine, or one built a bit less radically, I think 18-20 seems very doable.

My 70 Road Runner has a 500 CID engine making 675 lb ft of torque. It is a monster! But I also have fuel injection, a .7:1 overdrive, and a 3.55 rear. Coming home from the Hot Rod Power Tour I got 16.9 MPG on the highway. Average highway speed was 75 MPH, give or take. Not bad at all for such a large engine. So, if I had a smaller engine, or one built a bit less radically, I think 18-20 seems very doable.
To obtain that number I'm guessing the "Spirited" driving was very much limited?

My Green Challenger on one road trip I pulled 15.5 but it was 55mph on cruise control from LA to Modesto... Bored to tears.. I'll buy more fuel....

To obtain that number I'm guessing the "Spirited" driving was very much limited?

My Green Challenger on one road trip I pulled 15.5 but it was 55mph on cruise control from LA to Modesto... Bored to tears.. I'll buy more fuel....
Yes, there was no "spirited" driving, but we weren't sitting in the slow lane putting home like a Model T either. We really were just rolling on the highway heading home, so no nasty burnouts, no floored accelerator, etc . In Pennsylvania on the turnpike, we were going low 80s, although earlier we were doing mid to low 70s. So I am guessing about a 75 MPH average.

My 70 Road Runner has a 500 CID engine making 675 lb ft of torque.
I'd sure love to know how you're making that much torque. That is astounding.

I'd sure love to know how you're making that much torque. That is astounding.
That came from my Hot Road Power Tour trip when I put it on a traveling dyno "as driven". No air cleaner removal, no uncorking exhaust, no nothing - just backed it on the dyno and ran it.

20230616_124330.jpg

20230616_125157.jpg

I made 675 lb ft of torque and 549 horsepower (engine corrected). There was a problem with my horsepower in that my power dropped off at around 4800 RPM. The car should be in the 600s for horsepower, but something was falling on its face as it revved up. Maybe not enough fuel? We are not sure so there is more power there to be had. At some point I will head to @Nxcoupe so we can dyno it and try to correct what is going on.

Anyway, it is a 400 based stroker engine displacing 500 CID. It was originally built by @qkcuda and I bought the engine from him. I tore it down and refreshed/checked everything. It runs light 10:1 pistons, Edelbrock aluminum heads, and a roller cam. EVERY aspect of the engine was carefully checked and blueprinted when it was assembled. Deck heights, bores, all component weights, etc. have all been made exactly right.

I built it to look as factory stock as possible - it's a fun car!

20230529_115312.jpg

That came from my Hot Road Power Tour trip when I put it on a traveling dyno "as driven". No air cleaner removal, no uncorking exhaust, no nothing - just backed it on the dyno and ran it.

View attachment 1654893

View attachment 1654894

I made 675 lb ft of torque and 549 horsepower (engine corrected). There was a problem with my horsepower in that my power dropped off at around 4800 RPM. The car should be in the 600s for horsepower, but something was falling on its face as it revved up. Maybe not enough fuel? We are not sure so there is more power there to be had. At some point I will head to @Nxcoupe so we can dyno it and try to correct what is going on.

Anyway, it is a 400 based stroker engine displacing 500 CID. It was originally built by @qkcuda and I bought the engine from him. I tore it down and refreshed/checked everything. It runs light 10:1 pistons, Edelbrock aluminum heads, and a roller cam. EVERY aspect of the engine was carefully checked and blueprinted when it was assembled. Deck heights, bores, all component weights, etc. have all been made exactly right.

View attachment 1654898
You need to take that baby to the track!

I'd love to know the cam specs. I'm considering a change. The Lunati solid I'm running is too much for what I want to do.

88 R.JPG

I'd love to know the cam specs. I'm considering a change. The Lunati solid I'm running is too much for what I want to do.

View attachment 1654923
My cam is a Comp Cams hydraulic roller camshaft, P/N 23-712-9
Lift: .544 intake and .541 exhaust
Duration @ .050": 236 intake and 242 exhaust
Lobe separation 110*

Hmmm....Very tempting!
Thank you.

View attachment 1654893

View attachment 1654894

View attachment 1654898
Anytime!

Coming soon

“Rerererebuilding a 493 part 3 a new hope”

:rofl:
I know, I am a tinkerer...
I have no kids, I'm retired and I love to try new things. In my defense, when I rebuilt this engine in 2022, I re-used this cam for a few reasons.
1) I already had it and the lifters were stored in order.
2) It was broken in, eliminating the anxiety of dealing with another cam and lifter failure.
3) Roller camshafts and lifters are still new to me and I wasn't ready to make the leap yet.
Maybe over the fall and winter I'll revisit this.

I have no kids, I'm retired and I love to try new things. In my defense, when I rebuilt this engine in 2022, I re-used this cam for a few reasons.
2) It was broken in, eliminating the anxiety of dealing with another cam and lifter failure.
3) Roller camshafts and lifters are still new to me and I wasn't ready to make the leap yet.
I don't think you'll regret it.. I kinda like the sound of that cam..

Absolutely nothing wrong with any of that :thumbsup:

Auto Transport Service
Back