• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Rolled Fenders

Goon . . . did that to the lip on the 66 Shoe Box - but I did not use that tool, just a hammer and dolly.

And I picked up a tool from Cranky that would also allow you to do that to the lip as well . . . more like a C-clamp that would be used by hand to do the job, does not attack to the wheel hub ( that's a nice setup ).

On the 67, since I had to rebuild the lips, I just "fabricated" them without the lip . . . job done !

If you are going to roll the fenders on a painted car, use a heat gun (low) so you don't crack the paint. Go slow, good luck.

Would love to find photos of anyone with a classic mopar that has done it. Seriously considering it on the bird and yet I'm aware you need to keep a heat gun on it to protect the paint although I may be in to a complete paint job anyways :(

Goon . . . did that to the lip on the 66 Shoe Box - but I did not use that tool, just a hammer and dolly.

And I picked up a tool from Cranky that would also allow you to do that to the lip as well . . . more like a C-clamp that would be used by hand to do the job, does not attack to the wheel hub ( that's a nice setup ).

On the 67, since I had to rebuild the lips, I just "fabricated" them without the lip . . . job done !
I remember selling you something but dang if I remember what it was....dang old timers lol

Are ya talkin bout that thingy miniatureish english wheel lookin doo-hickey??

I used a Louisville slugger {bat method} back in the day
with great success

a aluminum bat works too

jack up the car put the bat in fat side up
roll it back & forth, do it slow don't get overly aggressive
it worked quite a few times
never noticed waves or dents

I usually started the roll over/bend slightly with a hammer
or wide flat panel sheet-metal workers vice gripes
so it wasn't so sharp of an edge & it wouldn't dig in the bat
& wasn't such a big pressure on the quarter panel/lip too

if the car is really low that method "won't usually work too well"
unless you can figure out a way for the bat & tire to meet
or closer at the wheel well lip, so it rolls over nice & evenly

I'd sometimes use a bottle jack {or a porta power} on the inside from the frame
with something on the lip, like steel or wood, to start the bend,
the to push the lip too, across a larger area so it doesn't distort everything
sometimes that alone was enough, just do it slow pay attention
so you don't make a mess of the quarter panel or fenders

I know it sounds Okie as all hell,
but sometimes it works really well too

sorry no video, I haven't done it for decades now too
but it did work

I tried it before paint, but from memory I found the hub was too sunken to get a good enough angle to have enough leverage to roll the lip. Plus the hump was still there so I just gave up! Wasn't going to make a lot of difference for me. It might work with hub spacers and a hammer to start the process, but the baseball bat option on the tyre is probably going to be more successful.

These are made for low offset cars with thin sheet metal - IE modern cars unfortunately.

Auto Transport Service
Back