• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

U.S.Body 1968-69 Coronet fenders

jeepthrills01

Local time
7:45 AM
Reaction score
Let me preface this with.."Yes, I know their reputation has been less than stellar, but I can't find anything recent on them."

So it appears the "kinder, more gentile" U.S. Body is advertising again... 68-69 Coronet fenders caught my eye.
Has anyone taken a shot at em? Or will I be the first to take a bullet for the team? TIA

I have seen them on a car. They are replacement sheetmetal which is my nice way of saying they are an affordable alternative to going to Carlisle or the Mopar Nationals and paying out the nose for a set.

They are on a friend's 1969 Coronet 2 Door. The right fender needed more spacers on the top of the inner fender. Both fenders required significant work fitting to the front valance.

However, the price and delivery time were more satisfactory to him than trying to deal with AMD, and honestly with AMD ? I feel like they would have been better off to be the source for Mopar restoration parts, thus enabling them to assure quality of the dies and their tooling. They diversified into a market that was already saturated and I feel apprehensive telling anyone "Buy AMD" because what they could have gotten in the early days is quite a bit different from now.

For the price ? I do not feel bad recommending the U.S. Body pieces. Now I have a habit of assuming that people are DYI'ers and will be doing the install themselves. So factor that in.

Let us know if you get some. A fiberglass set would save me a headache on my ‘69.

WNC...these are Glass....not steel.

WISH...yeah..I am at a point where I'll probably spend 2x the cost to get mine straight. They have 2 deep creases running from the highest out side point diagonally toward the hood...and ofcourse dead center of each fender. I'm sure I do not have the skiils to risk ruining original steel. Sanding, cutting and shaping glass. Yeah I can do that. Lol

I am aware they are fiberglass. That is wthy I made the note about the spacers along the inner fender and the valance. On the left side I had to fabricate some spacers that fit the length of the valance- it was made out of metal, to get it to the correct thickness I had to choose between running a mill or making some passes with a surface grinder. My surface grinder is old- Rockwell "Toolmaker"- so what I had to do was mill it within a few thou and then used a belt sander with an extremely fine belt. At the area of valance attachment I was reticent to remove material from the fiberglass. I have a Lotus, I have two Fiberfab cars- when I perform repairs- it is a case of walking a tightrope over a sewage treatment field- one slip and you end up in deep crap. Because fiberglass repairs are never pleasant.

When you work with fiberglass there is an absolute minimum to flexibility and there is an issue where if you are using metal pieces you have to work the metal rather than having to adapt the glass, and it is counter intuitive.

U.S. Body has one of the few molds for a heavy, bolt on fiberglass 70 Charger hood. I have fitted one of those. They are not available because last I heard he had to get a minimum order and then would need to pull from the molds. If he does and one shows up for sale I'll buy it and use it.

He had a complete shaker set in fiberglass minus the doors which were easily gotten.

The Taiwanese availability of sheetmetal is dwindling. I've called around to a couple of other vendors and they don't want to talk about supply issues, but I have heard three times "It's not that we don't want to carry the line- that's all that we can say"

I have a friend in Cumming GA with a yellow Dart he sold as part of his divorce. A father bought it for his son, the son treated it like $2000 beater and it ended up on the highway between Cumming and where I-575 starts. Pete stopped and it was his old car except it needed a full quarter, inner trunk extension, a trunk pan, rear bumper, a rear longitude looked like it needed replacement, and it needed a rocker panel. The son had moved on to a lifted cateye Chevrolet diesel. Pete restored the car originally and he spoke to the father who wanted to recoup nearly the original purchase price, the mother heard Pete leave a message asking about it and she essentially said: "Sell the car Earl, I don't like having that ugly thing in the drive." Pete got it back. He asked about sheetmetal- one vendor that is Taiwanese and I'd bought through Jegs was completely de-listed. Another had no stock. Year One had some AMD pieces. I told him if he was in a hurry- go to Flowery Branch and get what he needed.

It was put on a frame machine when the quarter was cut off and we did not have to do a longitude. However the quarter panel was straight out of the JC Whitney days. Much like art- whether that quarter was for a Dart or a Chevy II was in the eye of the beholder. It was AMD. Looked online and for Darts and AMD that is apparently not uncommon. The trunk should not have needed replaced but to get a suitable panel had to buy the whole thing to make it work.

I bought pieces from AMD for an E-body 'Cuda and there was an agreed pickup date, I even called the day before. The AMD parts were not "ready to be pulled from the warehouse" and then their "certified forklift driver" was not there but I watched a box truck that had come in when I did leave with the rear sagging where as it was not before hand. I finally got the parts on the trip. The taillight panel needed a manual flanger to finish out the panel whereas it was stamped correctly in other places.

Last time I bought some pieces for a B-body I just went ahead and called the place that was listed on Jegs and I asked about their "OEM quarters" which is a bigger panel- the lady in purchasing/inventory said "You might want to buy those if you want them." That is the economic principal of signaling, something so subtle it got Vernon Smith and Daniel Kahneman a Bank of Sweden Nobel Memorial Prize- I'm serious about the prize but mocking them for getting it. She was telling me "When the wind done gone, breeze a long time coming." For you non-hillbillies that means "Read the room" aka "Read between the lines"- she was correct- their quarters were gone and I got one of the last sets and drove to Asheville and got them at the terminal.

Same place had a bunch of A-body Olds, Buick, and particularly Pontiac parts. A guy I did a lot of work put me in his will to receive a 1970 GTO project "he was going to get to". I second hand sourced enough pieces to do it.

I'm not saying that AMD is the great Satan. I am saying there are 3x as many Ford and GM cars produced versus our Mopars. AMD chose to go where the money was and over time their quality slipped and slipped- across the board.

Now ? Pay for OEM used excellent and get a third job to do it. Or work with what is out there.

When we put the glass fenders on the Coronet the owner said "I'm kinda worried about a collision" I pointed out that if you get in one and you want to save a 50/60 year old unibody car then you best be ready to do what Pete did with his Dart. Glass may shatter or break, sheetmetal tears and distorts too.

Thank you, come again. The opinions expressed here are worth as much as anyone else's but probably less. Best.

With fiber in general...I did expect to have to add some homemade steel stiffening structure/ tube extensions etc...good to know.I appreciate the heads up!

If you look at late 80's and nearly up to 2000 Toyota's- they used a 1/4" or 5/16" od round bar that braces from inner fender to fender or inner fender to bumper or unibody. Celica, MR2, Supra had them. Also on most truck beds there are rods to stiffen the fender on the bed- Bowtie used that a lot. If you want to improvise, go to your local welding/metal supply or even TSC(gonna catch h#ll for recommending them :) ) - get a piece of round bar stock and you can take it to someone with an iron worker, have the ends flattened so you can weld a shim/spacer for the inner fender to fender and you fit to the inner fender and the trick is to get such pliable round bar that you can bend it to hide in the inner part of the fiberglass. You will then want to get fiberglass mat and chopped glass, and you want to make an "ant hill such that you can put the rod into it- one near the cowl firewall area and one coming from your grill side. The front end now tracks with your suspension and the road and if you are someplace you have to do a panic stop and the car is going to bounce the fenders move with your car.

Also on the GMT-400 2004-2009 Trailbazer there is a set of braces that are on each side of the shock tower and on glass cars or glass fenders you can figure out the places where you need rigidity those bars are readily available and cheap- Trailblazer, Envoy, Isuzu Ascender. If you look at the design it is fairly easy to spread it or just get a set and then cut them and fit them for bracing- either copy how GM did it or take off the windshield wipers, remove the upper cowl cover and tac weld some spots to bolt to or tac on the firewall.

A popular(if stupid) mod to Lotus Elite+2's and Eclat's is to add a Rover 3500 aka Buick 215 V8 with liners and then add a trans from a Jaguar - a 4HP22 Borg Warner with a drive shaft modification to the frame in center as well a rear with IRS that already is setup for disc brakes(they have drum rear brakes stock and are also inboard brakes(pain in the pa-toot to5 change pads or rebuild) Then they need every bit of bracing they can stand. If you look at the final iteration of this design - the Excel- even with the 907 slant 4 cylinder they had additional bracing. Examining the evolution can inspire ideas.

Auto Transport Service
Back