• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Roller Cam Extinction?

67 B-body

Local time
4:28 PM
Reaction score
Where have all the new roller cams gone?
I've been shopping around for a new solid roller camshaft for the last month now, and the shipping dates just keep getting pushed back further and further!
Everything from Comp is now slated for a January 25th ship date....

I've been shopping around for a new solid roller camshaft for the last month now, and the shipping dates just keep getting pushed back further and further!
About a year ago I had to wait 9 months for my hydraulic roller to come in. It's supply chain issues with the cam blank suppliers I was told.

2023? I’d be happy with that.

Comp told me May for a hydraulic roller, Hughes had very similar in stock. Hughes said he would have recommended solid roller but the lifters were about 9 months backorder.

Comp told me May for a hydraulic roller, Hughes had very similar in stock. Hughes said he would have recommended solid roller but the lifters were about 9 months backorder.
The Comp solid lifters I need are in stock @ Summit....
I'm purchasing the "K" kit (Camshaft, lifters, springs, retainers, etc.).
It looks like the camshaft is the only thing not available...

The Comp solid lifters I need are in stock @ Summit....
I'm purchasing the "K" kit (Camshaft, lifters, springs, retainers, etc.).
It looks like the camshaft is the only thing not available...
Was just making a point that it seems the hardened steel needed for lifters n cam cores is the issue everywhere.

Bullet came through for my buddy a month back. We did a custom ground roller for his 499 dart. I called and worked with one of their guys to spec it.

4F6CBBCB-5E85-413E-B161-C997AD25AA1D.jpeg

Last edited:
Ordered my cam package in late July. Howards Solid roller setup with oil fed lifters and PAC double springs. Received the springs almost immediately. Lifters came in Sept. Still waiting on the cam itself. Howards tells me it’s a core supply issue; but said as recently as a couple of weeks ago that I would have it before year end. if ordered today however, they’re looking at April as an ETA.
based on that, I’d say if you haven’t ordered yet, you’re already interfering with next season.

Ordered my cam package in late July. Howards Solid roller setup with oil fed lifters and PAC double springs. Received the springs almost immediately. Lifters came in Sept. Still waiting on the cam itself. Howards tells me it’s a core supply issue; but said as recently as a couple of weeks ago that I would have it before year end. if ordered today however, they’re looking at April as an ETA.
based on that, I’d say if you haven’t ordered yet, you’re already interfering with next season.
I ordered the kit... The estimated ship date keeps moving...

Bullet came through for my buddy a month back. We did a custom ground roller for his 499 dart. I called and worked with one of their guys to spec it.

View attachment 1388786
I like those specs! That 108 lobe separation will be nice for power below 6500rpm..
Should have a nice fat torque and HP curve at usable RPM!!
I hope the heads are good enough to take advantage of it....

I like those specs! That 108 lobe separation will be nice for power below 6500rpm..
Should have a nice fat torque and HP curve at usable RPM!!
I hope the heads are good enough to take advantage of it....

270’s

I here nothing but good things about those (Assuming Trick Flow)...

Yes TF’s. It ran decent with a solid flat tappet right at .600 lift. Went 10.60’s with a 3.54. Doing the cam swap and making a converter adjustment. See if we can widdle a few more tenths out of it.

Oregon Cam Grinders
Bullet Cams
Mike Jones

I would check with those above and order your lifters and whatever springs work for the camshaft you order from Summit.

My last COMP was 5-6 weeks (9 months ago)
My last Bullet was about 3-2 weeks (regrind, 2 months ago)

It really depends on the what cores are available and what the cam specs are.

I order several custom grind cam everyday and also dozens everyday for stock. Everything takes longer since Covid.

It's more of a core supply issue right now than anything. My dad has been needing a cam since April 2022. Nothing fancy just a solid flat tappet around .600 lift for a SB. Ordered a Mopar Perforance one from Jegs that said would ship a in a few weeks back in April...still nothing. After checking with a few dealerships and pretty much realizing he's never going to get the MP cam, he ordered a Howards cam thru Summit in July. It was supposed to ship end of Sept, that got pushed out until the end of Oct than middle of November. At the beginning of Nov I inquired about the cam as it was suppose to ship the next week and was told it was on schedule. The ship day came and went and than the date got pushed out until March 2023. I even contacted Howards directly in July and was told 6-8 weeks. I ended up cancelling that order and getting a refund as I had paid for the cam in July and never got nothing and it was going to take almost a year to get it, if the March date stayed legit, which I doubt it would. If I contacted about my order a week before it's to ship and you tell me its on schedule but than push it out another 4 months, that's BS. I have since found Racer Brown had cores and he has grind a cam that is shipping today.

I’m curious about this.
Are they regrinding old cams?
Or are they made from new material?

Auto Transport Service
Back