• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Roller cam question

furyus

Local time
4:39 AM
Reaction score
Ok, I'm finally getting back to my 505 stroker. I'm using a hydraulic roller cam. I do have a cam button.
Do I need a roller bearing behind the cam?

I would. Cost not much different.

No sir. I just put a JP on the other day. I think it was a 5606T

Not necesary in my opinion. there is minimal fore aft load on a roller cam. Why add the possibility of roller bearing failure? My Jessel belt drive does not use a roller bearing. My 2 cents
Doug

Not necesary in my opinion. there is minimal fore aft load on a roller cam. Why add the possibility of roller bearing failure? My Jessel belt drive does not use a roller bearing. My 2 cents
Doug
Glad you brought this up Doug.. I've had some pressure to go to a belt drive from other guys running them. And I see they make bearing setups.. so do they normally just run like a small block with a thrust plate of sorts??
Screenshot_20220815-154757_Chrome.jpg

Mine has a thrust plate and bronze washer. close to 800 passes. It was used when I got it.
Doug

So, will a thrust plate be something that I would want on my 505/ hydraulic roller? Is it better than a cam button?

So, will a thrust plate be something that I would want on my 505/ hydraulic roller? Is it better than a cam button?
The thrust plate for a BB is part of the Jessel front cover and sprocket. It would be a lot of work to fab one up. The button works fine. If using a stock timing cover you can place/weld a spacer that just touches the back of the water pump housing to eliminate cover flex. As stated roller cam lobes are ground with no taper. Thus very little fore/aft load.
Doug

I think the roller type cam button seems to make some noise against the timing chain cover, so last engine used the nylon type cam button.
My old 451 engine had a normal type timing chain gear and an aluminum thrust button, and the back of the gear and block looks fine, the aluminum thrust button did shows signs of wear as did the timing chain cover.
That last 505 stroker with the nylon thrust button used the 440 source 9-way billet timing chain set that has the bearing on the back side of the cam gear.
I really like the 440 Source timing chain sets. I don't know who makes them, but they fit good.

Auto Transport Service
Back