• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Roof repair vs Replacement

I'm still wrapped up in the MGB, I Media Blasted it 2 weeks ago, doing the metal fix its...lots of areas to fix! Follow me on my site, then follow over to Facebook for pics of the MGB.

Kinda slow this week. Amazing how much time you can waste by playing the wifes game and getting caught-up in the arguments. Cash is tight and the wife and 2 adult step-kids cant/wont find a job. These dogs just dont hunt! Times are hard in Michigan, but even a McJob is better than nothing. If the three of them are sitting on their asses all day, why isnt my house spotless and dishes out of the sink when I get home from work. Maybe I should shut the cable and internet off!
As far as the roof, got all the spot welds cut out. Just have to get the ones at the top of the quarter that tucked under the roof panel. Those are on the inside. Ran into some grief with the drip-rail. seems the roof panel tucks under the welded rail at the rear. Should have it off Sat nite with a few cocktails I also found that the sunroof is a 2 piece unit with a leaded joint running across the whole width. Thats why all sunroof cars have the vinyl tops I guess. Pics tomorrow and sunday. I hope I can finish that joint cleanly cause the goal is to have a painted roof.

Donny, wish you were a might closer, could use your media blasting skills real soon...
Scotts74, I know how you feel, too many other things/distractions for the kids these days...Things are slow everywhere. Cutting the rotters off at the knee's (internet/cable) isn't a bad idea, might get them off the couch!

Good luck boys, I plan on getting back to the shop as well...better hurry though, my wife is planning a landscape project...

Did you guys separate the roof from the 1/4's at the lead joint by melting it, or did you cut above or below it?

do you re-lead the joint? Seems to be a hi-stress area, I dont think regular filler would do. Opinions?

Finally got the old roof off. A few mistakes made, but I'll do better next time.
Roadrunner%20Roof%20Replacement
[/URL][/IMG]
[/URL][/IMG]
[/URL][/IMG]
th_100_1501.gif

These are thumbails

I did find a slight tweak at the roof rail above the steering wheel. But I dont know how or where to measure to, to correct it yet. Anywhere I can find dimensional specs at?

I did find a slight tweak at the roof rail above the steering wheel. But I dont know how or where to measure to, to correct it yet. Anywhere I can find dimensional specs at?

Unfortunately there are no upper body measurements available to my knowledge...I have frame spec's but even they are basic. Comparative measurement is your best bet. Seat belt anchors, door strikers, A pillar hinge mounts and door openings are all symetrical on these old girls. Hope this helps!

Been a bit warmer this week. Finally got the replacement roof unfrozen from the ground! Big F$#@-up on my part though. I cut poorly on the left c-pillar on the car. I had measured the new roof and thought I was ok. Turns out the left was cut much shorter than the right [the one I measured] and the one I needed the fat on was the left! DOH! Old saying "I've cut it TWICE!! And its STILL too short!!!" HaHa!
th_100_1551.gif

I don't know about the lead in the seams any more, seems like the short hair Fiberglass filler works really well in that area. I melted mine out too.

I'm going to start all future posts about progress in the restorations and projects forum. Thank you all for the advice! I'll post any new questions if I have them. Once again, thank you all, I could not have done this without all the help I got from you guys! Thank you very much! Scotty

Auto Transport Service
Back