• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Roof Rust Pitting

You could try soaking a few rags in Evapo-Rust and laying them over the spots, then cover that with a heavy plastic sheet or wrap to keep it wet. Check on it after a night and see how it looks.

My self i experimented with using muriatic acid cut 10 to 1 and in a spray bottle.

A small amount of spray it on the dry non oily surface using a small paint brush and or small wire brush to keep it so it dose not run all over.

The acid will remove all the rust effectively without removing any metal. Let the acid sit for a while then scrub again several times....

keep doing this until the acid is clear and not a rusty color to clean the acid off.

I then use a good automotive metal prep cut 1 to 1 in a spray bottle and stainless wire brush. Vigorously scrub the surface again.

I have found that the first acid will go deep into the pores of the metal.

Brake cleaner does a good job of of removing all the acid (not just water). Water alone does not thoroughly clean as well and leaves a residue that will need to be re-cleaned.

Repeat if necessary.

The metal prep can stay on til you are ready to fill the tiny pitting with a good primer.

Remove the metal prep also with brake cleaner when you ready to fill the pitted surface. This works well for me.

Last edited:
Hey guys...just finished stripping the roof on my 65 Belvedere... its in great shape except for some pitted spots... one pretty good size.(see pictures)... the inside of the roof is clean in the same spots... so its all external. any of you guys with more restoration and body experience than me ( probably most of you) have any suggestions... short of replacing roof?... also is it typical for the front 2/3 of the roof to be a little "oil canny" on these early bbodies?... or is that another issue I need to deal with?... any help is greatly appreciated!

View attachment 969514 View attachment 969515
was it a vinyl top car?i have seen this type of damage on them , from the factory they never painted the roof just primer then the top over the primer the top is porous & lets water in /under the top have a GOOD metal body man cut out the bad & weld in new steel then prime it & top coat it or at least clear the primer that will stop it

Auto Transport Service
Back