• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Roof surface rust

Sadie_the_66

Local time
3:00 PM
Reaction score
The roof on my 66 sat 2 dr. Is rusted pretty well, but it is all surface rust and none of it is structural. I'm looking for some advice on how to go about this, I have been told to not have it sandblasted as it will likely warp and ruin the metal. Are there any other relatively cheap methods of getting the rust off?

20231007_153738.jpg

The 3M rust/paint stripping wheel chucked in your drill does a fantastic job. There are also others out there similar to the 3M wheel. but I prefer that brand. It will remove all rust with minimal base metal impact, ready to prime and paint. It'll take 3-4 hours, but it's cheeeeap.
No need for an expensive blast!

The 3M rust/paint stripping wheel chucked in your drill does a fantastic job. There are also others out there similar to the 3M wheel. but I prefer that brand. It will remove all rust with minimal base metal impact, ready to prime and paint. It'll take 3-4 hours, but it's cheeeeap.
No need for an expensive blast!
I will look into that,thank you!

Good idea on the stripping discs. I like using them on an angle grinder. Good at removing paint too. You're still gonna have rust in the pits though. Maybe treat the pits with old fashioned elbow grease, scotch brite pads, (vinegar, ospho, eastwood stuff, etc). I guess it depends on how far you plan to go with the restoration.

A stripping wheel will work well but just make sure you take your time and don't get it hot or it can warp.

Phosphoric acid after the stripping wheel. It’ll get it out of the pits

If you got a good compressor a DA sander with 80 grit to start then 120 grit finish.
I would still treat the metal for its final.

The 3M wheel will also take light-medium size pits down to bare metal. If you have some heavy pits, use a cheap siphon gun blaster to hit just those small spots with sand. It's also hard to heat the metal too much with the 3M wheel if you use it properly. Don't apply a lot of pressure. Let the wheel do the job. The wheel will last much longer that way too.

I've been using these things for a couple decades for stripping sheet metal. You'll be surprised at well they work. They aren't good on rough surfaces because they a shred quickly.

Sand roof with 80 grit and then go to a maroon scotch brite and phosphoric acid and keep scrubbing on it with the acid. You will be able to get the metal perfectly rust free this way and with no damage. I used klean strip prep n etch phosphoric acid on my car and it worked great.

If the guy knows what he is doing it could be sand blasted. I had an entire 72 Road Runner done years ago roof, hood, decklid etc. NOTHING was warped again guy needs to KNOW what he is doing. I also did have some surface rust on a 71 I did I used Phosphoric acid with great results but it was nothing like your roof...

If you got a good compressor a DA sander with 80 grit to start then 120 grit finish.
I would still treat the metal for its final.

Yup this. Remove that nice stainless first and mask off the glass real good so you don't scratch it up. My Power Wagon was the same way sun baked and rusty. Even after getting it to shiny metal there will still be pits, see last pic. Treat them then neutralize the metal, epoxy prime with good stuff like SPI or DP90.

IMG_0728 (Medium).JPG
IMG_0748 (Medium).JPG
IMG_0755.JPG

guy needs to KNOW what he is doing.
The body shop owner told the employee DO NOT sand blast the complete trunk lid only the seams of the frames underneath.
Guess what the owner said "We gotta find you a new trunk lid..Sorry...." My 65 Belvedere.

Last edited:
The body shop owner told the guy DO NOT sand blast the complete trunk lid only the seams of the frames underneath.
Guess what the owner said "We gotta find you a new trunk lid..Sorry...." My 65 Belvedere.
Like I said the guy NEEDS to know what he is doing. I have seen stuff blasted that was complete junk afterwards. A friend of mine had a set of 70 Dart fenders done and they were warped so bad you could not even use them. Another was a 70 Challenger Shaker hood where it was showing the underbracing through the top sheet metal. That was mudded up and saved but it weighs 25lbs more than a nice original. This was 20 plus years ago Mahr sand Blasting in Pottstown Pa. did it. I don;t know if they are even in business but that guy KNEW how to sand blast stuff.

I've done similar condition metal, just take it down with either 80 or 100 on a DA, treat & clean metal, epoxy prime. Done.

I appreciate all the replies and advice, I am trying some of these on some of the rougher spots on my deck lid and so far they look pretty solid, but we will see after I primer and block them a few times.

Sand roof with 80 grit and then go to a maroon scotch brite and phosphoric acid and keep scrubbing on it with the acid. You will be able to get the metal perfectly rust free this way and with no damage. I used klean strip prep n etch phosphoric acid on my car and it worked great.
This absolutely.
DO NOT use an angle grinder, or a sandblaster.
As a bodyman, I have seen so many cars destroyed by novices that think faster is better.
Slow and steady, with no aggressive tools

IMG_0680.jpeg

Sanded the roof with 80. Was left with lots of pits. Home Depot metal and concrete prep eats down into them.
IMG_0694.jpeg

IMG_0695.jpeg

IMG_0704.jpeg

After it’s all done doing it’s thing and cleaned/neutralized I went over it with 80 to guarantee to myself that all it’s residue is gone. Then prime it up.

Auto Transport Service
Back