• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

rough idel

snake

Local time
10:00 AM
Reaction score
Hey guys what causes rough idel in a camshaft is it lift,or duration.I would like to pic a cam for my 318 with a bit of a rough idel and some more lift with out having to change my push rods and going to adjustable rockers,so i would like to use stock valve train.Its a 318 with headers, single plane intake 3000 stall with 355 gears ,stock compression.Any tips.:grin:

Interesting no one wants to try.

comps got a tech line toll free tht could hook ya up spot on.

I have a 318 in my '74. I ended up going with the Comp Thumpr series. I has a pretty choppy idle and it still does well with power brakes and A/C. Overall it sounds awesome!

Was it a stright slide in,did you have change your lifters and rockers.

A lot of overlap (short lobe center) is a big contributor to the rough idle, but that together with a low CR engine you won't like the result.

Well the plan is break it in the 318 and than install it in my 360 this winter,however it has a tick noise some has said i need different push rods and adjustable rockers.any thoughts

Auto Transport Service
Back