• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Royal purple

Loulang

Local time
8:06 PM
Reaction score
Does anybody use royal purple 10 W 30 in there 383 big Block?

Royal purple gets some low ratings on oil testing I have seen. I didn’t save them to post.

Any suggestions on some good oil for my 383? And do I have to add zinc every oil change? This is my first classic Chrysler

I use Lucas hot rod and classic.
It's fairly reasonable price from summit

You need zinc wether it comes in the oil, or as an additive.
Any car with a flat tappet.

Royal purple gets some low ratings on oil testing I have seen.
Anybody know what happened?? It used to be regarded as a premium race oil. I know the track crews hated it a few years back. Yayhoos running standard exploding case oil filters were a big problem to cleanup at the strip if Royal Purple was involved.

I ran Royal Purple 10W30 in a small block Ford motor that we beat on pretty hard. The machine work on this engine was done by a well know engine builder in Arkansas.

He told us to use nothing but Royal Purple. It was ahigh winding 306 with a 5 speed. I never had a bearing issue with it.

I used Red Line oils while running Super Stock in the 90's. Mostly use VR-1 and Amsoil oil lately. Rotella in diesel powered vehicles.

If you get and oil made for flat tappet cams then you don’t need any additives.

Joe Gibbs driven
penn grade
valvoline VR-1
etc

buy the right oil for the job and forget the additives.

how do you know you additive will mix and function as designed with whatever oil you choose to use?

Joe Gibbs is hte old Kendall oil of pa and according to Ron Iskaderian son of famous Ed Isky one of the best oils you can buy. Ive used Kendall and Driven myself a few years. No issues.

If you get and oil made for flat tappet cams then you don’t need any additives.

Joe Gibbs driven
penn grade
valvoline VR-1
etc

buy the right oil for the job and forget the additives.

how do you know you additive will mix and function as designed with whatever oil you choose to use?
You disagree that additives can work?
Fair enough. Everybody has their own thought out opinion, I respect yours.

Royal Purple did very well in a test done here years ago. It came equal first with an Aussie oil in the Timken brg test. Other oils tested were Mob 1, Shell, Gulf, Pennzoil, Motul, Fuchs, Elf, Red line, Castrol R & Valvoline.

1676547020485.png

Lots of zinc in this oil.
Comes in 20w-50 as well.

I’ve wondered about Amsoil since it’s sold through MLM, like AMway.

Royal Purple did very well in a test done here years ago. It came equal first with an Aussie oil in the Timken brg test. Other oils tested were Mob 1, Shell, Gulf, Pennzoil, Motul, Fuchs, Elf, Red line, Castrol R & Valvoline.
I ran Royal Purple in the pneumatic blower I used to unload the dry bulk tanker I pulled during my last 17 years as an owner-operator. Never had a bearing failure under truly punishing conditions. I can't speak for the zinc content or suitability with flat tappet engines. Shell Rotella had the zinc content reduced when the big trucks went to DEF emmission systems a few years back. I've run VR1 in all my stock GTXs, and never had an issue.

If the engine is not broken in then you should use "break in" oil.
And definitely not synthetic until after a couple oil changes of running conventional mineral oil.

Last edited:
Auto Transport Service
Back