• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

RS Brake lightS not lit

Charge68

Local time
6:31 AM
Reaction score
Was working. Now RS brake lights won’t light. Turn signal/flashers work. Left side works ok. Power to dk green wire. No power in “brown” wire. Checked bulbs and fuses, ok.
Any ideas or things to check appreciated?

Check the TS switch harness, on the switch side of the column connector, if no power is present there with the pedal depressed then the TS switch is bad. Power in/power out.
Mike

For a full brake light problem diagnosis:

White wire at turning switch plug must get 12 volts when giving brakes. If not, problem is on pedal switch. If yes, problem is turning switch.

ALTHOUGHT, once got a similar problem and it was the wire itself broken down the cover at the turning switch harness, just right after the pin. Turning switch itself was still good. I cut the wire, splice new terminal and done.

NOW, you say is just one side... then it could be turning switch problem or related wires ( This is the reason I mentioned the back up history I just wrotte up fixing a rear brake problem, being sometimes just one wire ). Brake pedal switch is correctly working.

HOWEVER, being you have blinkers and hazzards and these light shares same wiring than brakes which are dark green and brown as you mentioned, this discards the wiring including turning switch harness, the problem is definitely the turning switch, maybe just the canceling cam system.

Last edited:
Thanks everyone for the great feedback. All fixed and on the road again.

Not sure. I followed the wires as suggested. I also replaced the flasher unit and they started working.
White wire at turning switch plug must get 12 volts when giving brakes. If not, problem is on pedal switch. If yes, problem is turning switch.

ALTHOUGHT, once got a similar problem and it was the wire itself broken down the cover at the turning switch harness, just right after the pin. Turning switch itself was still good. I cut the wire, splice new terminal and done.

NOW, you say is just one side... then it could be turning switch problem or related wires ( This is the reason I mentioned the back up history I just wrotte up fixing a rear brake problem, being sometimes just one wire ). Brake pedal switch is correctly working.

HOWEVER, being you have blinkers and hazzards and these light shares same wiring than brakes which are dark green and brown as you mentioned, this discards the wiring including turning switch harness, the problem is definitely the turning switch, maybe just the canceling cam system.

..so what was the problem....

Auto Transport Service
Back