• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Rt stripe installation

robocop1971

Local time
11:59 PM
Reaction score
A week away from getting the car in final paint! Trying to figure out a plan to install the rt stripe on the tail end of the 69 charger rt/se...........is there any youtube videos out there or does anyone have techniques on proper installation?

Thanks for any input and Thanks B Body Forum!

Are you painting the strip on, or is it a graphic decal? If a decal, get the solutions from Phoenix graphics and use lots of it so the decal stays lubed and is easily slid into position. Then use the setting solution.

That's what I used to apply my "Six Pack" decals and the job was so easy, though on a much smaller scale.

Yes the graphics, I'm not painting it on now. Thanks for the input!

I can't emphasize how important it is to keep that decal overly lubed up so you can slide it around and get it into position, and I'm amusing especially around the rear fender side marker light.

I remember watching Graveyard Cars when they were doing that black Cuda with the black billboards, and wow did that guy use the lube on that fender to keep that decal moving.

Also be sure to have some squeegees on hand (I forget if the gel come with one).

Probably would also be helpful to mark reference points out before you put in on with some tape to speed up the process.

Probably would also be helpful to mark reference points out before you put in on with some tape to speed up the process.

Good tip! That's what I do,tape out where it has to go,then float it on.

When I had my 68 Mustang GT I put the C stripes on myself and here is what I did. After making sure the car is clean and the surface is as dust free as can be, I got a bucket or spray bottle of soapy water and a bondo spreader, or some other stiff rubber or plastic squeegee. Make sure you have a plan of attack and don't stretch the vinyl decal during application. Wet the area down and keep it wet while applying the decal. The goal is to allow the decal to float on the soapy water while you hunt for the proper position. Once you are there carefully (without stretching) squeegee the water out.

I use a little dish washing soap mixed in a spray bottle with water instead of the solution. It works just as good. Spray it on the car and on the back of the stripe, put it in place and then squeegee the water out. Tada your done.

Guys I appreciate your help! After paint and buff should I wash the area good before applying to get any buffing compound or wax off?

I used the stripe from Performance Car Graphics in Flordia, he is the decal Guru. The strip come with information on the exact placement and locators for the correct placement and detailed instructions on the installation process. Great guy to talk with also about the process.

Use the gel lube from Phoenix graphics they also have a wax prep or remover, Works great. The only tip that I can give you is you may have small air bubbles after install, that is ok. Put the car in the sun for couple of days and they will disapear. No matter what you do you will have some bubbles the large you can use a pin and pop but the small one the sun will do the trick. Really the whole process is pretty easy.

Good Luck

Auto Transport Service
Back