• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Rubber Bumper Guard Repair/Refurbish

bbrider

Local time
10:02 PM
Reaction score
Sorry if this has been addressed before but I've searched extensively and can't find anything about it. I have a 1972 Satellite Sebring Plus with the optional rubber bumper guards. I'm starting to restore the car and have decided I want to keep the guards. The rear ones are in good condition but the front one has a small tear and some other cracks. Since these are virtually impossible to find I was wondering if there is a way to repair the rubber with an appropriate filler/vulcanizing etc??? and then repainting with something that makes it look look original. Or am I stuck with trying to find a replacement? I'm new to this so any help would be greatly appreciated.

I restored the ones on my 73 RR. Basically I used an epoxy to fill any gouges, divots or what not. Once that was completed and dry, sand smooth. I then used Dupli-Color Bumper coating. Use with adhesion prompter and you should be good to go.

Thanks, that's basically what I was thinking. I just wanted to get opinions before I did something stupid and damaged them beyond repair. Also do you have a suggestion as to which epoxy to use?

I have used Plastifix, it comes in a powder and you add the catalyst and build it up in layers. Its tricky, but I have also used JB weld with good results. Just about anything that bonds to the rubber that you can sand should do the trick.

Auto Transport Service
Back