• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Running too hot

Anyone reading this have an extra stock fan you'd like to sell ?

While your at it throw that flex fan away. They are dangerous and are known to come apart.

While your at it throw that flex fan away. They are dangerous and are known to come apart.

Oh i plan to. I'm a fan (no pun intended lol) of fan clutches. So it'll be getting a fan clutch as soon as i find a fan blade for it.

Look into the Hayes Jaguar fan clutch mod. Saves a ton of room when/if you go to a larger radiator.

hmmm..... okay, i'll search for details on that. Thanks for the heads up

Point the IR gun at the thermostat housing to get a true temperature reading. Definitely add a fan shroud & I believe all you need to know (on a stock radiator) is 22" or 26" wide (you probably have a 22"). I "think" the clutch fans came out in '73, but don't quote me on that. New fan clutch for sure. Yep, swap the water pump (heck, they're like $35 only). Cooling system flush too (I had a "good looking" radiator what was plugged up). Also, maybe take off the radiator cap & warm up the engine to look inside the radiator for an occasional "big bubble" (head gasket). Radiator cap was a good idea (15lbs. stock I believe). And yes, distilled/deionized water + "water wetter" or similar runs cooler than 50/50, which reminds me, if you have 100% antifreeze (not 50/50) that can make a car run hot too, so pull out that little "floaty ball" or "floaty lever" hydrometer & check your coolant blend.
My 69 318 Charger had an OEM fan clutch.

Get your radiator boiled out, throw away the flex fan, install factory fan, clutch, and shroud.

Thanks! So when/where did the fan clutch start in Mopars? Did your Charger come with A/C? This is something I'd be interested in knowing.
I don't know when the fan clutch was introduced. Yes the Charger was factory dash a/c. Odd thing was the car had a 4 bbl carb & it was definitely an OEM installation. The car was an absolute stocker. However, nothing shows that Mopar rolled out 318's w/ 4 bbls.

Thanks! So when/where did the fan clutch start in Mopars? Did your Charger come with A/C? This is something I'd be interested in knowing.

This isn't a definitive answer to your question, but in my recent search yesterday, the parts houses all show a fan clutch for my '71. So they were at least in play then.

I don't know when the fan clutch was introduced. Yes the Charger was factory dash a/c. Odd thing was the car had a 4 bbl carb & it was definitely an OEM installation. The car was an absolute stocker. However, nothing shows that Mopar rolled out 318's w/ 4 bbls.

What the heck? What year is that motor? I "thought" 318's only got 2 bbl.'s until some late '70's early 80's (???) cop cars, but what do I know?

What the heck? What year is that motor? I "thought" 318's only got 2 bbl.'s until some late '70's early 80's (???) cop cars, but what do I know?
Yeah, it was a 69 & was obvious that nothing had been changed out on it. i also had a 69 Coro 500 & a 68 post Coro 440 that were 318's,,,,both were 2 bbl with non-clutched fan.

I don't know where all the anti-flex sentiment comes from. My first flex fan was bought in 1985 to replace a clutch fan on a 340 in my 73 Roadrunner. The first thing I noticed was the drop in vibration! At first I thought the engine wasn't running. It's amazing how much vibration those clutch fans generate after a bit of use.

I have one on my Roadrunner right now, and it's the fourth car I've used one on. I've never had a failure, and they work great. I guess if you're drag racing and red lining the engine, there's a chance the fan could fail, but just normal driving around at 2,000-4,000 RPM... I don't see anything but benefits.

Auto Transport Service
Back