• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Rust free dessert 71 Charger R / T project.

Happy 4 th of July Pete ....hope you had some sam summer

I tipped a few of them at my friend Jim's cookout Steve. He has this 70 Charger R/T! Happy 4th to you too Steve! See you at Carlisle soon!

DSC00951.sized.jpg

That's a lot of elbow grease!! SMOOOOTTTHHH!!! Looks good
No doubt. The car is on the scissor lift,so once I get the whole top blocked,I will raise the car and do the often neglected lower area of the fenders doors,rocker panels and lower rear quarter panels. After that panel alignment,and another coat of high build epoxy primer,then go from 220 grit to 400 grit and block it all over again,one or possibly two more times if needed!

Nothing exciting to report except I started blocking the trunklid,and it's a big effing trunklid!

I haven't done anything to the car since Carlisle,but after a year long wait my Legendary seat covers for this car and my yellow 71 Charger came in today,at my friends shop.

Well I finished blocking the top of the trunklid last night. It looks pretty good except for two spots that will need some polyester finishing putty. The trunklid is the size of Texas! Or atleast it feels like it when you are blocking it!

20220823_212129.jpg

I made a little more progress on the car. I got the car positioned on the scissor lift,and started sanding the rocker panels and lower rear quarter panels. I went and bought a roll of 180 stick it sandpaper,a bottle of polyester metal glaze and some spreaders,that cost $200.00! You can see what $200.00 gets you at the autobody supply store sitting on the fender!

20220918_073540.jpg

20220918_073550.jpg

Some other extremely expensive things for this car are finally in my hands. I finally after almost a year of waiting,I have the new white Legendary seat covers for this car,as well as my black seat covers for my yellow 71 Charger. $900.00 per car! My plan was to install the covers on all the seats last winter,but now it looks like they will be this winters project!

The white seat covers are for this car,and the black seat covers are for my other yellow 71 Charger.

20220821_144237.jpg

20220821_144252.jpg

20220619_120225.jpg

76.jpg

My friend who is going to paint the car came over on Sunday and spent about six hours going over the car with 180 grit,taking what I did to the next level. I have some panel alignment issues to get to,and more blocking on the lower panels and rockers to do,before he goes over what I have done.

So I bought an 8 grand tachometer for a 71 B body from a fellow Fbbo/Moparts member so I could put a rallye dash together for this 71 Charger R/T. The car came with a Rallye dash, as all Charger R/T cars did,but the dash cluster I got with the car had a clock and not a factory tach. So today I put a dash together for the car using about three of them and the tach I bought. It looks good. I know that the woodgrain face plate is a 73/74 piece, but until I can find a decent 71 piece this will do. I am hoping to find enough ambition to do some more blocking on the car later tonight!

20221003_165624.jpg

20221003_165617.jpg

Well I spent about two and a half hours blocking the lower sections of the car tonight. As I mentioned earlier, this is an area of the car that is often neglected or overlooked, and not noticed that it doesn't make the cut until the car is in paint. I believe that the scissor lift is going to really pay off dividends when doing the lower areas of these cars.

20221003_225051.jpg

20221003_225101.jpg

20221003_225111.jpg

Out of curiosity, how are your body lines at the bottom rear of the doors? I had a ton of trouble with that area, on both sides, with several different doors. I thought the doors were the problem and my car had original quarter panels, the bottom rear corner of the door would not tuck into a smooth transition into the quarter, with the gaps all perfect... Curious if you had any trouble?

Out of curiosity, how are your body lines at the bottom rear of the doors? I had a ton of trouble with that area, on both sides, with several different doors. I thought the doors were the problem and my car had original quarter panels, the bottom rear corner of the door would not tuck into a smooth transition into the quarter, with the gaps all perfect... Curious if you had any trouble?
So far they appear to be lining up good. I still have to align my front fenders and hood. Both front fenders need to be shimmed up in the back, and the gap to the door on the right fender is too large.

Yesterday morning my friend Dave and I dropped off his 71 Charger R/T Sixpack car at another friend's shop for final assembly. After that my other friends Gary,Pam,Al and Rick came by and spent about six hours aligning all the body panels on this 71 Charger R/T. The gaps all look good now. We had to change out the lower doors hinge on the drivers side. It was a great day with great friends!

20221106_094614.jpg

20221106_095928.jpg

20221106_095910.jpg

20221106_095939.jpg

Was the Chinese buffet on you?:lol:

Last edited:
Auto Transport Service
Back