• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Rust Issues 71 Satalite

Local time
2:11 PM
Reaction score
I bought a ratty 71 satellite last year and plan on keeping it ratty but clean.
Heres whats rotted out

Major rust spots
-Front passenger side frame rail
-Cowl

The rest of the car is "solid" but has bondo spots in
-Lower rear quarter pannel driver-side
-Spotty patches in the front quarter panel behind wheel (drivers side)
-Some bondo lower rear quarter panel (passenger side)
-Slight rust in trunk

Floor pans have been replaced.

My main question is how should I fix the frame and cowl? have frame patched or buy another piece of frame off another b body? Same for the cowl?

Also, what's my best bet for replacing quarter panel? Off another car or buy new?

Thanks in advance 18 and first project car.

IMG_1875.jpg IMG_1880.jpg IMG_1882.jpg IMG_1883.jpg IMG_1885.jpg IMG_1886.jpg IMG_1887.jpg

Rust is always much worse than you what can see. Check the bottom of the cowl (look under dash) and behind the fenders/footwell area of the cowl before you start and then decide if you want to take it on. Cowl rust is the worst to fix, but at least is is mostly not visible when the car is done. Been through the same with another 71 Satty and ended up parting it out.

if it were me,,, and it has been,,, I would start by taking the engine out, strip the front fenders off, drop the whole front end, basically gut the fire wall , take the dash out, and really assess what you have going on there. once all that stuff is off and out, you will know what your up against. unless it is severely rotted, it can all be repaired,,, one piece at time.
as for the frame rails, you can cap a spot here or there, but if it's bad enough, it may take a whole replacement.

How's the floor above the bad frame? I would want to check the other rails too. You need a donor frame section methinks.

The passenger frame rail looks ok, at least in these pics.
The torsion bar crossmember is shot and should be replaced.

weren't 71/72 quarters/patches just on clearance at AMD?

There used to be a product called saf-t-caps, their website says they are only available through classic industries now. The CI website sucks, I tried looking for a link to post for 15 minutes but I don't have the patience to keep at it, you can go dig. Basically it's a sleeve that slips over the frame and welds to good metal beyond the rot. Quick and dirty but safe.

As for the cowl rot, who cares. Don't drive in the rain and keep your windows cracked a few inches so you don't asphixiate. Once these cars come apart they hardly ever go back together without costing an arm and a leg and contrary to what people may tell you, your time is not free.

You said your 18 and this is your first project car? Are you able to cut out spot welds and weld in new pieces?
If you are then like mentioned above I would take it down to the firewall. I had a lot more rust on my 72 Charger than I initially thought once I had the engine out. I had to replace a frame rail and the torsion cross member. I like to just replace a bad piece with good metal instead of patching. I figure if it needs a patch here it's probably gonna need a patch there sooner or later.
If you get stuck hit us up! Good luck!

Auto Transport Service
Back