• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

RV motors..What's the deal?

Love the fender decal - cool!:yes:

The motor home 727's I have seen so far have had a flange installed on the tall shaft in place of a yoke. I used to rebuild transmissions and told my buddies we could just unstack the tranny and change the output shafts and tail housing and should be good to go. I have not seen the internals but going by the other differences we've seen(read Heavy Duty) on other parts I would not be surprised to see heavier sprags and clutches.

DC

Not all motor home engines came with 6 pack rods and not all came with the forged crank either. I've found the same thing with cop car engines. 413's usually had the water pump housing going to the block AND to the heads. That's the 'extra' cooling that some hear about. It's a strange looking housing with the pump and fan sitting up higher than what cars have. Not sure if some 440 RV engines have that setup but the later engines were supposed to have better cooling passages in the spark plug area. The transmissions had the 4 planetary gear sets and the big drums for more clutch plates but I've never seen a long tail shaft in one. On the one where the converter was different....it may have been in an industrial type engine that had a longer crank flange. Not sure of the years when things changed but I think that may have stopped somewhere in the early 70's? There's a guy that goes by Maxwedge over at the style that knows this stuff like the back of his hand but I haven't seen him around lately. He knows what was what and when changes were made and to what engines. Heck, I do good to remember my name!

Auto Transport Service
Back