• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

RV2 Compressor replacement

red72

Local time
5:06 PM
Reaction score
I am going to install a remanufactured compressor and am using the existing epr. I have leak checked the system, flushed the evap, condenser and lines with Proflush and dry nitrogen. Going to install new txv, drier and O-rings. I noticed that the suction line inlet screen appears torn and I was wondering if anyone may know where I could find one. Used would be O.K. as long as it is in good condition. Thanks.

I am going to install a remanufactured compressor and am using the existing epr. I have leak checked the system, flushed the evap, condenser and lines with Proflush and dry nitrogen. Going to install new txv, drier and O-rings. I noticed that the suction line inlet screen appears torn and I was wondering if anyone may know where I could find one. Used would be O.K. as long as it is in good condition. Thanks.

Try Classic Auto Air in Florida, they rebuilt my RV2.

You are planning on R12 for your repairs, correct? R134 will take other parts to work correctly. Again call Classic Auto Air. I have not used them, but have heard good things about them.

Yes, I have a supply of R12. Just need the inlet screen.

Update. I got the inlet screen and gaskets I needed from Classic Auto Air and I found them to be very knowledgeable and friendly. Prior to installing the compressor, I added 10oz. of ester oil to the compressor crankcase and cleaned the clutch assembly with a quick drying degreaser. The epr was impacted with desiccant from the old filter/drier but I thought I would see if it still worked after a good cleaning. Installed the new compressor, pressure leak checked with dry nitrogen, evacuated and weighed in a charge of 414b refrigerant, commonly known as Hot Shot. The original charge was 2lb.14oz. so I weighed in 80%(about 37 oz.) I was going to use R-12 but found that I didn't have enough. There are several R-12 replacements out there that will work well for automotive use. I didn't use 134a because my hoses are still in pretty good shape and did not want to change them out. Most all recommend using about 80% of the original charge of R-12. Started the compressor and found that the pressures were equalized! Recovered the refrigerant and removed the suspect epr. Ran the compressor again after evacuation and recharge and had high suction and low head pressure, a good indication of bad valves in the compressor, so I once again removed the refrigerant and sent the compressor back. Put in another one today I got from a better quality rebuilder, evacuated and weighed in the charge. This one actually pumps! Buttoned everything up and went for a nice little cruise. It's pretty hot and humid in Ms. right now, and it feels great to have AC! Checked pressures when I got back and everything looks good with the epr removed. If I do encounter any problems with evaporator icing, I will install a t'stat to cycle the compressor. After this, my advice would be to have the compressor rebuilt by someone like Classic or do some research and get the best reman you can to begin with. And extra gaskets! I just wanted to let the guys that are trying to resurrect their old systems know that it is possible and I believe it ups the cool factor a bit to have that RV2 working. Hope this info is helpful.

Auto Transport Service
Back