• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Sand Blast vs Media Blast vs Chemical Dip

ChevySucksLOL

Local time
11:06 PM
Reaction score
Couldn't really find a specific thread on this topic, the search feature would pull up random comments in other threads. Anyways....

Whats everyone's thoughts on the best way when stripping a vehicle? 1969 Charger R/T starting to rust only on the passenger side which is peculiar. Also, some ding dong decided it would be funny to take some shots at the side with a pellet gun so now that I have garage space I'm going to tackle a strip and restore. I do know there is some bondo on the car, just have no idea how much. It was "restored" in 2001, but from some of the mechanical and electrical hacks I'm concerned with what I'm gonna find. I'm not building it back to trailer queen status, as I drive it around 3-4k miles a year, but will have it nice enough to turn heads at a weekend meet. No experience with the 3 stripping options, but do know of some of the horror stories with chemical sticking around and ruining paint as well as warping metal with sand, so I'm curious as to everyone's thoughts and experiences.

Thanks SGTPaul, I'll definitely check them out. I am leaning more towards the media/soda blast style as a few local guys at the show had theirs done that way.

Watch soda as it can create similar problems being in cracks and crevices just like chemical stripping if not prepped correctly before primer/paint. JMO

There is no perfect method. There is NOTHING that will get all the rust in the seams - I know this because I had my car dipped. The results were good but not great. Soda and plastic media won't touch rust. Sand or other abrasives will generate heat and warp panels. All that said, if the car is in decent shape skip the dip and skip the soda. Have the rust blasted and maybe do the underside but strip everything else with paint stripper and or a d/a sander.

Since you are in Detroit I can reccomend Ray's Radiator. He blasted my car and had no issues with anything. Have taken all kind of stuff there to blast. Here is the link http://www.raysradiator-hotrodshop.com/media-blasting-sterling-heights.html

He'll look at it when you bring it in and decided what media you need. They used plastic then sand on mine.

Good luck!
The best advice is always someone that knows what they are doing n what you expect for a finally apperance

Auto Transport Service
Back