• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Sandblasting what kind to use

chrisd

Local time
7:18 PM
Reaction score
What kind of sand should I purchase for my sandblaster? I called a few places and the grades are sandbox and what they called building or something like that.

00 for rust........ do NOT blast the exterior skins of your car

Doing parts. Or at least parts at time. I checked with Tractor Supply and they have a black blasting media.

Glass bead is good for parts if your doing panels with sand it will warp them beyond repair

Doing parts. Or at least parts at time. I checked with Tractor Supply and they have a black blasting media.
Be aware of the grit size for the blaster you have. I bought some of the black media from Tractor Supply a few years back, very coarse. Almost too coarse for my blast cabinet, it took a lot of air to move the heavy granules. Not saying this is the same as what they have now, just be aware of grit size. Also, dust from silica sand can really mess up your lungs. I prefer glass beads in my blast cabinet, but not the best for heavily rusted parts.

Thanks. I'm aware of the silica danger. I'm mainly looking for something to clean the frame rails. Figured it would be easier blasting it than scraping 50 yr old undercoating.

Thanks. I'm aware of the silica danger. I'm mainly looking for something to clean the frame rails. Figured it would be easier blasting it than scraping 50 yr old undercoating.

frame rails, underside (once undercoat is removed), jambs, window openings front and back, hood compartment, gutters........ if your gonna get sand everywhere anyway, let 'er rip!

It's called Black Bull, glass beads. It's what I use in my blasting cabinet and works well. It's not black lol..

As far as removing undercoating, you'll need a heat gun and a scraper. Media blasting won't touch it.

Last edited:
The tractor supply stuff is good for undercarriage and floor pans stuff like that ! For sheet Kerala you'll need a walnut to keep the temp down ! We're donny? He is all about blasting!!!!

Agreed with above also this won't take off under coat .
I got a door jam cutter and got under an edge it takes it off quick a neediler is good to!

Enamel reducer works wonders on undercoating- spray it on & undercoating almost melts off-it is messy but I've done it on a couple of mopars over the years

Here is a link to help with your media choices.
http://www.graco.com/us/en/products...to-choose-the-right-abrasive-for-the-job.html

Tractor Supply's isn't worth a damn. It pulverizes too quickly and doesn't cut well, and ya definitely get what you pay for. Playground sand is too soft. I almost exclusively use Black Beauty black slag; great cut, minimal dust, lasts longer and less costly than glass bead.
Choose your poison based on the extent of rust and what kind of surface prep you require.

I have a "dustless blaster". It is absolutely incredible. Even on undercoating. Hard to explain how well it works without seeing it. On ferrous metal, there is an additive to the water to keep the metal from rusting and it actually works. No warpage (I got it for stripping aircraft parts including 0.020 aluminum sheet metal). Cuts better than sand while using crushed glass. The salesman will tell you "no mess, you can blast in your garage" but that it bullshit. I have had the best results using 50-100 grit. 30-60 works good, leaves a little more profile and have to refill sooner. Does not work below freezing which is an issue up here.

Oh and the crushed glass cost the same as silica sand. It is not the same as glass bead.

Ok, finally got everything together. Wasted most of the day on yard work so I didn't do much. Just got to see what can be done. I know this isn't a top of the line blaster, but it works. Gotta get some better quality hose clamps though. This is the only abrasive in town so I thought what the heck, I'll try it. Just hit a few spots to see what it would do and I'm pretty happy with it.

20180303_171254.jpg 20180303_171316.jpg 20180303_171512.jpg 20180303_171531.jpg 20180303_171543.jpg

I have the same blaster what is the material you are using. I tried that black stuff it didn't work or o don't know what I'm doing . Want to fo the engine bay

I have the same blaster what is the material you are using. I tried that black stuff it didn't work or o don't know what I'm doing . Want to fo the engine bay
I had an old blaster a year or so ago and didn't have enough pressure to push it.

Your compressor's cfm and nozzle size are actually more important than your media choice. This chart will help.

https://www.mediablast.com/sandblasting-compressed-air-chart

You can stand there all day aiming a blast gun at it but, if most of that time you're spending is waiting for a little pancake compressor to air back up, it's time to upgrade or farm out the work. Time is money gentlemen!!! :D

Totally agree with getting a big compressor. I have a fair size shop compressor (20 cfm )but when I have blasting to do, I rent a 185+ cfm. Time saved easily covers rental cost

Auto Transport Service
Back