• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Sandblasting what kind to use

So I've tried a few different media types. My blaster won't do walnut. Tried two different grits and it just blows out like it has no pressure. May need to change the tip, too. I got some from Tractor Supply this morning, it's 80 mesh garnet. Works well for cleaning and the price is better but my blaster is surging now. It's like a puff of media then it blasts. Cleans well when blasting but with the surging, I'm wasting more than I use. Maybe tip size?

My guy uses free desert sand he scoops up out of the arroyos around here, seems to work (except on undercoating). I did not notice any "warpage" on the body parts, but maybe I did not look close enough yet. The sand seems pretty fine and powdery.

DSC04657.JPG

Last edited:
If your panels are stretched by way of sandblasting or any other reason, thankfully there is a technique called "heat shrinking" that can eliminate that panel from popping in and out. Brief youtube video:

So I've tried a few different media types. My blaster won't do walnut. Tried two different grits and it just blows out like it has no pressure. May need to change the tip, too. I got some from Tractor Supply this morning, it's 80 mesh garnet. Works well for cleaning and the price is better but my blaster is surging now. It's like a puff of media then it blasts. Cleans well when blasting but with the surging, I'm wasting more than I use. Maybe tip size?
It’s been a while, but if I remember right, I closed the valve on the bottom that regulates the amount of media that comes out and opened it a little bit at a time to get the right amount to come out while blasting, to cure the surging. If that makes sense. Also any little bit of moisture in your air supply will make it not work right. I installed a water separator right on my blaster.

Auto Transport Service
Back