• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

does sandblasting destroy aluminum intake value?

sam dupont

Local time
2:16 AM
Reaction score
Screenshot 2024-01-21 at 9.27.26 AM.png
Screenshot 2024-01-21 at 9.27.59 AM.png

I bought a good used Eddy intake for 1/2 of what I was expecting to pay. That sometimes happens with eBay auctions, but I was surprised. All of the threads are good and it has not been modified, so I am wondering why it was so cheap. It was listed only for a week instead of 10 days, but other bidders showed up in the last two minutes. Now, I'm wondering what I missed and sandblasting is the only thing not original.

Would not bother me, that one does not look to ruff,
Sometimes they look like someone use gravel, lol.
Hell half the time guys paint them anyway.
Walnut shells or soda would be my go to for a intake.
If they used sand it was pretty fine grain.

Might have been glass beaded. Vapor honing seems to be the favored way of refreshing cast aluminum parts anymore and the results are impressive. I wonder what Vapor honing on top of the media blasted surface would do to it? But I agree, it doesn’t look bad now. Probably best to just run with it.

Most people wait till the last 10 seconds to bid.. E-bay does not draw the crowd it once has and people don't have the cash laying around as much as they did a few years ago. Use it and just make sure to blow all the sand out of it.

you saved a couple hours of cleaning...... good score

I bought it for a back up should the EFI (L-Jetronic) go bad in a way that can't be easily fixed and I'm frugal, that's why I did a Saved Search a couple of years ago. I got nervous and jerky when I bid with 13 seconds left; I don't trust any eBay system to always function at 100%. I don't usually go that early, but I'm out of practice. The last to bid against me was 7 seconds out, not enough time to bid again. I got the $100 bid on day one and the first bid against me was a week later, 32 seconds out. He tried again, but it didn't beat what I had bid earlier.

I assume it was blasted since it is used and clean, but may be mistaken. In the photo, there are marks from mounting the carb and intake, but if it was blasted, they did a good job of covering the machined surface under the carb.

I've seen some cool intakes while I watched

Screenshot 2024-01-21 at 10.37.55 AM.png
Screenshot 2024-01-21 at 10.37.37 AM.png

View attachment 1595818View attachment 1595819
I bought a good used Eddy intake for 1/2 of what I was expecting to pay. That sometimes happens with eBay auctions, but I was surprised. All of the threads are good and it has not been modified, so I am wondering why it was so cheap. It was listed only for a week instead of 10 days, but other bidders showed up in the last two minutes. Now, I'm wondering what I missed and sandblasting is the only thing not original.
What's it for?

Auto Transport Service
Back