• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

sash channel liner

Trey

Local time
6:59 PM
Reaction score
Happy new year!

Anyone replaced the window sash channel (lining) on a 65 belvedere? I found a couple sites...rubbertherightway and steelerubber, but not sure what to buy. I'm sure it's not that difficult (but I've not done one before) so any advice on sizing and even the replacement, is greatly appreciated.

Trey

Are you talking about the cat whiskers they run along the window inside and out, or the window channel that the glass slides up and down in?

If the car is a sedan, you may also be looking for the glass channel that is inside the frame of the body and door itself. For the hardtop applications on the front doors, you will possibly need the glass channel run for the division bar, approximately 3.5 feet for each door and the lock strip run that goes inside the channel at the back of the door glass, approximately 2 feet for each door. Then to finish out the process, you would need the window felts, cat whiskers or belt line moldings to complete the job.
Window felts are relatively easy to install. Replacing the glass channel runs is a a bit more involved and can be performed if the glass is in the car, but it is easier if it is out. It is a good afternoon job for someone with relative mechanical knowledge.

This is a 2 door hardtop and the channels that the glass slides up and down in, is what I need. The rest of the interior- whiskers and such has been redone.
Thanks for your replies and help!

Try Joe Suchy. He had the correct liners. I bought what was supposed to be correct from another vendor and even though it fit it stuck past the frame 1/8 inch on each side. Joe's fit perfectly.

I also bought mine from Joe. Fit well, But they are a bit Finicky to install. Must have patience!

What is available is an alternative to the factory style liner. Most people restoring these cars only want to replace the liner within the division bar as this is the piece that they see. Likewise, the channel nearest the lockside will be worn as well. Some vendors sell only the wider style which is used on the lockside and tell you to trim as necessary. The replacement material is the same for both applications, just a different width. Thus the issues with installing and poor fit. They can be replaced with the components all still inside the door frame, but is much easier if everything is disassembled and can done on a table.

I'm not familiar with Joe, but I'll search.

You're right, the channel closest to the lock has notta, squeaks like crazy when partially rolled down. I'll probably yank everything out to ensure nice fit, less cursing.
Cheers

As a suggestion, if your not blowing the car completely apart to restore, just remove the door glass which involves just removing a plastic rivet. That way, the process of realigning the door glass is avoided which can be less frustrating and time consuming.

Fortunately paint and interior were done (nicely) before I picked it up, guess that just didn't want to tackle more. Appreciate that tip

As a suggestion, if your not blowing the car completely apart to restore, just remove the door glass which involves just removing a plastic rivet. That way, the process of realigning the door glass is avoided which can be less frustrating and time consuming.
Please explain how this is done on a 65 Belvedere...

I glued mine in with "Goop". It sets fast so time is of the essence. I found a strip of plywood the thickness of the glass really worked well to position the channel fuzzy. I purchased mine from Joe Suchy as well.
Mike

Thanks everyone, all informative and helpful. I'll dig in and get it done with the best outcome as my target- the right way. I'm not a body guy, but can handle most of the mechanical- including the window business.

Auto Transport Service
Back