• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

satellite1966

satellite1966

Local time
12:52 AM
Reaction score
Just joined the B body club,(even though I worked for Chrysler for 32 years at the Twinsburg Stamping Plant in Ohio) first time owner of a cherry '66 Plymouth Satellite, convertible, not all stock, replaced original engine with a 440. Bought the car in Charlotte, N.C.at the speedway last April, from a dealer, that was selling it for a widow friend of his. Long story short, the car was restored, my guess, 3 years ago. This dealer says everything was rebuilt on the drive train, but has no documentation, and the widow won't look for it.(by the way, car sat for over a year) It looks like it's all been rebuilt, clean, new gaskets, etc. did a compression test, 150 all cylinders. Runs ok...here's the problem.

When the engine is cold, it starts good, and runs good for about 30 seconds, then starts to miss, badly! practically shakes you out of the car! anyway, you have to increase RPM to keep it running. As it's running some gray/blue smoke is present, not a lot, and is gone in less than 40 seconds. about a minute has passed since starting the engine, and it begins to smooth out, now running on say, seven cylinders, then all eight. After it warms up to normal op. temp. it runs great, (sounds like it has a mild cam. How do I know?) 1966 Plymouth convert 047.jpg1966 Plymouth convert 036.jpg no hesitation, no miss, starts great. I've gone through all of the normal stuff, put in hotter plugs, new wires, checked timing, adj. carb/and choke (750 Holley, new) don't know what else to do. I think the rubber valve seals are worn, letting some oil leak into the cylinders, causing miss fire, but I hate to go through the trouble of replacing them if it could be something else. Having never owned a big block, maybe I'm missing something....HELP!

Sounds to me like the choke pull off is not working right.

sweet car! welcome to fbbo.
could be a bad valve seal if smoke is blue.

A bit of condensation/ corrosion in distributor cap? That smoke on start up does hint at valve seals...

Great looking car and welcome to the site! Blue smoke at startup is definitely valve guides and I would also check the choke for the rough idle shaking the entire car. Sounds fat, fat, fat ...

Welcome to FBBO. I don't have a choke on any of my old cars cause they don't get driven when it is real cold. I just have to let them warm up a few mins. before driving.

Welcome and sweet looking Satty! As the others stated...choke and possibly valve seats at start up. Any way you look at it, I don't think you have any major issues. Best of luck on the beautiful ride :thumbsup:.

- - - Updated - - -

Welcome to FBBO. I don't have a choke on any of my old cars cause they don't get driven when it is real cold. I just have to let them warm up a few mins. before driving.

No chokes on any of mine as well. Let the temp start to crawl a bit and out of the garage we go.

welcome to FBBO

nice ride

hi and welcome to the site what a beautiful looking 66 drop top ! :hello2:

Thanks for the info. everyone...checked the choke, working fine, new carb, new everything as a matter of fact. Choke was one of the first things I checked. Still thinking valve seals...any ideas who has them? Summit racing? anyone do this fix before, because I haven't!

I would look for a fuel problem. If you have enough oil in the cylinders to cause a misfire, you'll smoke out the whole neighborhood. Additionally, it's almost impossible to get that much oil down the valve guides when the engine is sitting. Keep in mind that your Holley has one or two power valves that can drain the fuel into the engine when it's not running. Best way to check that is to remove the carburetor, fill it with fuel, and suspend it. If it drips, the power valves could need replacement.

Beautiful car!
Welcome aboard!
Thanks for joining the forum.

Yeah, as the other guys suggest: Valve Seals...
The oil leaks into the combustion chamber and fouls the plugs, until it warms up and then the oil "burns-off"

Auto Transport Service
Back