• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Saw Rick Springfield last night.

YY1

Local time
11:01 AM
Reaction score
Despite the bubblegum-y nature of some of his material, I've always liked "Jessie's Girl", especially the lead break, performed on the album by Neil Geraldo Pat Benetar's husband/guitarist and producer of the album.

The bill also included Greg Khin ("The Breakup Song" and "Jeopardy"), and
Tommy Tutone (867-5309)

Interestingly it was the same backing band for all three front men, Apparently Rick's band.

Tommy Tutone was pretty straight forward blues/rock and not bad at all.
He played a Smithereens song !?
His voice sounded very good, just like the radio on 867-5309.

Greg Khin was perhaps not quite as well weathered, but still enjoyable.
They did open with a strong number, that I had not heard before.

Rick's show was pretty darn good. He came out like he knew what he was doing and got down to business with a crunchy, upbeat song I was not familiar with but was very catchy "Set This Party On Fire" maybe was the name.

I didn't remember that he had so much material that I was familiar with.
Interestingly, all of it was performed with much less pop and a lot more rock.
They kept the same tone- Marshall's and Bogner's on 10 for almost every song.
Previous to the show, my wife played a new song "Little Demon" for me, and we both agreed the music was really good, but the vocals were too prominent and polished differently. We also agreed the live version was actually better.

Their drummer was really, really good, and the mix was good as well.
There was a lead guitar player who did a somewhat acceptable job on Jessie's Girl, despite being pretty good otherwise.

Rick did a guitar solo and about 30 seconds into it, as I leaned over to tell my wife, she beat me to what I was going to say- He sounds like you!
Damn if I didn't feel like I was listening to myself jam. That's a odd feeling. His tone was almost the same, and his riffs and licks had a lot of the same feel as what I play. He even played "Pipeline" (The Ventures) through that Marshall on 10, just like I do!

he was a pretty good showman too, just a hint of "full of himself". Much less than I expected. he used small bouquets of roses as explosive devices, smacking them against the monitors so that the petals exploded and fell into the audience.

there was a fairly large contingency of somewhat trashy dressed but clearly more towards the "high maintenance" end of the spectrum 50-ish ladies, if you enjoy that sort of thing.
Several were sporting a bustier.

All in all, a good time, even if a guilty early 80's flavor pleasure.

Last edited:
there was a fairly large contingency of somewhat trashy dressed but clearly more towards the "high maintenance" end of the spectrum 50-ish ladies, if you enjoy that sort of thing.
Several were sporting a bustier.
That part I'd certainly enjoy, right up my alley...

sounds like fun

never seen him or any of them
even back in the hay day

----------------------------------------------------------------

use to go to a lot of the 'days on the green' concerts
some ditty-bop-pop, but mostly rockers bands at the time

mid late 70's early 80's, loved all of them

I haven't liked very many concerts, after that

I use to go to a lot of "oldies" concerts at the Concord Pavilion (Ca) too
60's 70's & 80's bands/groups
Hall & Oats were great, same types of crowd, you described above

I didn't care for the band/group much in their hay day
but were good, when I saw them

seems that some bands are far better in person/live
in a smaller venue more personal setting
than a record studio stuff, on the radio/album/tape
or some huge stadium, with 20K+ people
all screaming & yelling smoking dope or drunk etc.

Last edited:
My Wife and Daughter are both Rick Springfield fans and have been to over a dozen shows over the years. Good for him for still putting on a great show for his fans, I doubt I would have that kind of energy at 70 years old to travel around the country performing.

Thanks, I like Rick too. A good dangling-chad diversion too.

He was at Old Tucson years ago. He was on the stage on a bank and the crowd was in the rodeo arena. He stop in the middle of a song and said this sucks how do I get down there. He spend the rest of the night in the rodeo arena sitting on a cattle fence with a little girl on his lap singing to her with the crowd standing around him. Security was having a coronary.... The absolute best concert I have ever been to.

Auto Transport Service
Back