• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Saw this 56 Buick yesterday.....

Cranky

Banned Henchman #27
Staff member
FBBO Gold Member
Local time
7:20 PM
Reaction score
when I was coming home from the post office. It looked like it was original but really can't tell just by driving by....

IMG_20230928_092101209_HDR.jpg

thanks for sharing @Cranky

I always liked those years of 55-'56'-57 Buicks, Olds, Pontiacs & Chevys
they had great lines & in 57 Fuel Injection
(I like the Dodges,Chryslers or Desotos, Hemis & other MoPars of that era too)

My stepdad Bob was a diehard Pontiac (& Ford Trucks) Man,
I was surrounded by them...

My granddad (dad's father) was a Buick mainly & an Olds man...
Always had cool Buicks from Shell Oil executive fleets
(44 years a Lubrication Engineer VP)

Those old GM domestics all had overhead valves & 'V8s', as options at a min.
Olds IIRC/maybe Cadilac (?) was the first of them in 1949
some were way ahead of their time, when others were still using
outdated, weak, lousy powered/old tech. flatheads
(trucks mostly, some sedans still) or more so straight 6s or straight 8s

I'd wager it's been repainted at least once.
So far I've only found very few cars that old and still had the original paint on them and even then, you could see worn areas....
thanks for sharing @Cranky

I always liked those years of 55-'56'-57 Buicks, Olds, Pontiacs & Chevys
they had great lines & in 57 Fuel Injection
(I like the Dodges,Chryslers or Desotos, Hemis & other MoPars of that era too)

My stepdad Bob was a diehard Pontiac (& Ford Trucks) Man,
I was surrounded by them...

My granddad (dad's father) was a Buick mainly & an Olds man...
Always had cool Buicks from Shell Oil executive fleets
(44 years a Lubrication Engineer VP)

Those old GM domestics all had overhead valves & 'V8s', as options at a min.
Olds IIRC/maybe Cadilac (?) was the first of them in 1949
some were way ahead of their time, when others were still using
outdated, weak, lousy powered/old tech. flatheads
(trucks mostly, some sedans still) or more so straight 6s or straight 8s
IIRC, you could still get a flathead in a 56 Plymouth. A girlfriend of mine in 68 had a 4dr 56 and it had one in it.....a Sears rebuilt motor no less.

looked like it was original but really can't tell
Sure reminds me of our next door neighbor's Buick when I wasn't much more than knee high, close work friend's of my dad. Same colors too as I recall. If I remember, Buicks of the era seemed to have the distinct engine or exhaust sound kind of a dube, dube, dube when idling. Sounded like a leaky exhaust manifold sound, lol, maybe it was or a hole in the pipe. He later traded it in for a green '57 Imperial. Maybe my introduction to mopars it was, remembering those fins and playing with the PB trans..

We had a ‘56 & ‘57 Chevy growing up that I recall clearly. Other 50’s cars we had were Cadillacs(‘51, ‘56 & ‘59) and (1) Ford(‘59).

The last few years I was on the hunt for a Tri-five of my own, preferably unmolested, and landed mine last Fall.

I’m now the 3rd owner, 45k miles, never been restored, one repaint back in the early 90’s.

Felt pretty fortunate to find one to call my own and not pay a fortune…

IMG_3794.jpeg
IMG_3797.jpeg
IMG_3790.jpeg
IMG_3792.jpeg

1st year Chevy V8, oil filter was optional…

IMG_3793.jpeg

Previous owner, title was issued to him in 1961…
IMG_3798.jpeg

56 Buick are pretty cool body style, tons of chrome. Rivis and supers , cool stuff with the nail head v8 :thumbsup:

55 and 56 were real good years for cars, but my favorite year is 57. Every 57 is cool in my opinion. I'd take almost any 57 anything. (Fuelie corvettes and Bel Airs, supercharged T -birds, and Rancheros. 390 hp 300C Chryslers, one horse per inch DeSotos, Fury's, Rambler Rebel, faster than anything except the corvette, interesting Nashes, Hudsons, and Packards, Supercharged Studebaker Hawks) and that just some of the American cars. There were interesting foreign cars too!

So far I've only found very few cars that old and still had the original paint on them and even then, you could see worn areas....
Absolutely !! One of my cars, the Cordoba, still has the original paint, and it's faded and worn in areas.

Absolutely !! One of my cars, the Cordoba, still has the original paint, and it's faded and worn in areas.
I always liked the Cordobas and the Chargers of that era. I also liked the Mirada’s after that. I’m pretty sure Cranky has the same problem we have where we live, the sun cooks the paint. At least there’s no rust.

I always liked the Cordobas and the Chargers of that era. I also liked the Mirada’s after that. I’m pretty sure Cranky has the same problem we have where we live, the sun cooks the paint. At least there’s no rust.
I got mine from Oklahoma. Zero rot.

There is a car crushing yard that I frequent.
They were going to crush this 55 Buick.!!!!
I made a deal to trade 2 crush cars for the one.
Brought home this complete solid 55 Buick special.
Haven’t spent much tire messing with it yet. Bet it runs.?

Some old timer passed away.
Relatives pulled out on the street.
Tires got marked and towed away by police.
Wound up at scrapyard.

IMG_7233.jpeg

IMG_7234.jpeg

IMG_7236.jpeg

IMG_7235.jpeg

We had a ‘56 & ‘57 Chevy growing up that I recall clearly. Other 50’s cars we had were Cadillacs(‘51, ‘56 & ‘59) and (1) Ford(‘59).

The last few years I was on the hunt for a Tri-five of my own, preferably unmolested, and landed mine last Fall.

I’m now the 3rd owner, 45k miles, never been restored, one repaint back in the early 90’s.

Felt pretty fortunate to find one to call my own and not pay a fortune…

View attachment 1532293View attachment 1532294View attachment 1532295View attachment 1532296

1st year Chevy V8, oil filter was optional…

View attachment 1532297

Previous owner, title was issued to him in 1961…
View attachment 1532299
Gorgeous cars, what’s the paint code/color of your Charger?

Wound up at scrapyard.

View attachment 1532375

View attachment 1532376

View attachment 1532377

View attachment 1532378
Unbelievable, People haven't got a clue... Congrats! good score!!

No, there is no corrosion, underbody is solid. Never been to Oklahoma.
No sir, I meant where you live. I’ve been to Oklahoma, one of the worst ice storms I’ve ever been through. Not much snow, just ice. People weren’t used to it from what I could see. I never saw so many vehicles off the road. It was on their toll road. I’m not sure, but I think they used sand.

No sir, I meant where you live. I’ve been to Oklahoma, one of the worst ice storms I’ve ever been through. Not much snow, just ice. People weren’t used to it from what I could see. I never saw so many vehicles off the road. It was on their toll road. I’m not sure, but I think they used sand.

We cut across the Oklahoma panhandle right after an ice storm and noticed the same thing, there were a lot of cars off the roadway. I couldn’t understand why until we witnessed a couple spin out crashes, the drivers go like hell with no regard whatsoever for the road conditions…

We cut across the Oklahoma panhandle right after an ice storm and noticed the same thing, there were a lot of cars off the roadway. I couldn’t understand why until we witnessed a couple spin out crashes, the drivers go like hell with no regard whatsoever for the road conditions…
It was actually worse than when I was going across Wyoming on I 80. I was pulling a horse trailer, couldn’t go over 20-25. There were a few vehicles off the road. Then they put gates across, and shut it down. That was snow and ice. Only went about 200 miles that day. We pulled into a little town, got a room. The next morning, I bought snow tires and chains for my new 85 truck, with 5,000 miles on it, and took off. Thank God for those chains, especially through the mountains. I never knew they had chain rental places before getting into the mountains.

Wound up at scrapyard.

View attachment 1532375

View attachment 1532376

View attachment 1532377

View attachment 1532378
One more saved from the crusher:thumbsup:

Auto Transport Service
Back