• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Scam Alert on this forum!!!

Same thing almost got a me a few months back on an exhaust. Best way to beat a scammer is to ask for a different angle pic of the item requested. They obviously cannot do that and will make an excuse...or not respond. If the guy is selling on here with zero posts or feedback....pass.

Been dealing with scammers for years and used to play their game back at them. Even had one send me a 'better' check after the first one was so bad that no bank could ever be fooled by it. The 2nd check was better but still of lousy quality. Figured I wouldn't hear back from him after my first request so.....let's see how dumb this moron really is and replied with yet another request for a better check and he sent one LOL He was sending this stuff in over night delivery too. At the time I had a PO box so there was no worry about them finding me. Usually they will tell you that they won't send to a PO box but they will.

From my past experiance here , I have had good dealings with the members here. And very straight up deals. And they are active posting members here.

But from past issues. Not here though. I always asked for a phone number for a contact in person , get to know your seller. Ask for a invoice via pp and what the invoice is for. This way your protected. If they want another pay method. And you choose that route. Your money is in limbo. I have encountered that lots. When your 2000 miles away from that item in another country or ? Its really hard to recoupe a loss.
Ebay has been hit hard by scammers. Some of the pictures posted hijacked from good sellers at low prices is a good clue when the have free shipping. You hit a buy it now. And you have to pay asap. They remove the money quickly. In the mean time ebay sends you a message. ( Im sorry that sellers account was hijack weve cancelled the sale) . Then they refund right away which takes minimum 30 days to recover. Mean while the money has dissapeared to bumfuck africa some where. Pay close attention to your pp account where the money went , in most cases the pp addy email they provide is nothing like your standard US seller or Canadian seller email. There gone. Then it takes another month of fighting with ebay which they dont care.
They pass you off to PP to deal with the issues.

I would not buy any thing from a person here that has a 10 count or less unless theres a phone number attatched and there prepared to send my a invoice for the item to purchase via pp. then Im protected.

Why, why, why would anyone buy from a new member? First thing I check is 1) are they new, and 2) are they a "Join To Sell member." You know, they have 15 posts and they are all WTB or For Sale. That means they are here as flippers and moneymakers and don't want to join the FABO or FBBO family. They are IN THE PARTS BUSINESS. Buy at your own risk.

Last edited:
Sorry to hear this Dom. I have posted things for friends and it doesn’t usually work so good. They not only do they want me to sell it for them but also pack it up and ship it. All for being a buddy. Or they then decide they don’t really want to sell it. Kim

Been dealing with scammers for years and used to play their game back at them. Even had one send me a 'better' check after the first one was so bad that no bank could ever be fooled by it. The 2nd check was better but still of lousy quality. Figured I wouldn't hear back from him after my first request so.....let's see how dumb this moron really is and replied with yet another request for a better check and he sent one LOL He was sending this stuff in over night delivery too. At the time I had a PO box so there was no worry about them finding me. Usually they will tell you that they won't send to a PO box but they will.
Cranky serves the dish....cold. Way to go killer.

Part of the problem is that computer/user tracking relies on the ISP provided IP address pool

There are usually tens of thousands per ISP, per geographic area.

Banning or flagging an address pool could involve hundreds of potential legit users.

...and on a cell phone, get a new carrier and you're in a different pool.

The example of tracking a cow involves bar codes placed on the animal along the way by people who's intent was to track that animal.

Last edited:
Why, why, why would anyone buy from a new member? First thing I check is 1) are they new, and 2) are they a "Join To Sell member." You know, they have 15 posts and they are all WTB or For Sale. That means they are here as flippers and moneymakers and don't want to join the FABO or FBBO family. They are IN THE PARTS BUSINESS. Buy at your own risk.
Everyone was a new member at the beginning. Anyone have a suggestion on how one goes about determining when it is safe to pay for a product?

I was a new member too! My first 50 posts were commenting on threads. When people join to sell they have a captive audience. Almost like shooting fish in a barrel. Like I said, they are parts flippers that unlike longtime solid members, you generally dont have a good read on. Everyone has the right to roll the dice. How many people get burned by new "members?" Swim at your own risk.

Thank you for warning us. Like anything else in life. You have to use common sense. That’s what feedback is all about. If a person doesn’t have numerous feedbacks. You simply take a risk or choose not to do business. I’m very impressed how many good people are on this site. Especially this day and age. Being things are so unregulated. Sold and bought dozens of things myself. Nothing but great experiences. Never a problem. People generally are very trustworthy on here and I’m proud to be part of that family. You have to use common sense guys. It’s your fault, if you get taken by a newer member with less than a few feedback. You deal with proven people. If they aren’t proven, the risk is on you. Research a persons history on here. You have to determine the level of risk based on those 2 things.

Last edited:
Part of the problem is that computer/user tracking relies on the ISP provided IP address pool

There are usually tens of thousands per ISP, per geographic area.

Banning or flagging an address pool could involve hundreds of potential legit users.

...and on a cell phone, get a new carrier and you're in a different pool.

The example of tracking a cow involves bar codes placed on the animal along the way by people who's intent was to track that animal.
At another site that I 'worked' for years ago did that....banned an entire ISP but they were mostly from other countries known for spammers and scammers. Sometimes it would involve a good member but when you're getting flooded with scammers from a certain ISP, what can you do? You could spend hours weeding out the garbage trying to save one pea in a sea of pods.....

Hi everyone, I want to alert you that there is a petty scammer going around here on the WTB section.
I posted a WTB ad for a p/s pump pulley, and got a PM from a random account telling me to email their "friend" who has one. I contacted the guy's email provided and he had pics of the pulley, and had a tempting offer for a whole pump setup for $70. I jumped on it because it looked legit enough, as he had real original photos included. Guess I got too excited about the deal, my bad.
Paypal'd him and of course, no updates. Finally he answers back saying he needs another $55 to ship it immediately... Oh, and his Paypal account is deleted from being "hacked", but he could accept Venmo, CashApp, as well as bank transfer, postal money order!!...

:rofl:

Anyways, this guy is making fake accounts here, sending messages to people saying their "friend" has what they're looking for, provides photos and takes the money and runs. Uses fake user names for emails/paypal/etc.
Paypal can probably get my money back, but Venmo probably won't for future reference... But don't give this dude any money. I'm just bummed I wasted a week with no parts needed...

The scammer just sent another message to me with a day old account, trying it again...
View attachment 953371
From an "old fart" that like words just wondering WTB means?

:mob:
I want to add another type of scam that seems to be going on a lot. Selling a collector vehicle and the owner wants you to work thru a shipper. You ask questions about the vehicle and they never answer your questions. Their selling story is a sad one and the text is in two different types/fonts and "odd" English.

I do keep a close watch for these scammers.

I watched one this morning in fact... He joined, I pegged him as a scammer as soon as I saw his registration.

I'm not going to publicize the things I look for. I don't want to tip them off. But they send PMs worded similar to below.

Then I watched him send PMs in response to WTB ads. After watching him work for about an hour sending PMs to members, I banned him as a spammer and deleted all his PMs. I could have banned him in the beginning, but I wanted to waste his time. :)

This is an example of the kinds of PMs they send out. If you see one, please report it to me ASAP. Just click the REPORT link on the bottom of the PM. DO NOT send anything to the email address they provide. One big clue is that they are asking you to contact them via email and have no posts.

upload_2020-5-22_8-55-50-png.png

Auto Transport Service
Back