• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

schumaker headers and beyond

mosquito13

Local time
3:18 AM
Reaction score
Last edited:
Nothing but good things to say about the headers or their service. I've had a set on my 383RR for about 9 months and they have been great. They go on easily and fit perfectly. The flanges are REALLY thick, so they don't seem to warp over time - so no leaks! I spent the bucks and put on an Accurate Ltd. exhaust from the headers back and same thing - fit perfectly and mated right up to the headers. I used their (Schumacher's) ball joint header flange and was able to install the whole system leak-free in my garage on my back.

If you DO go with the Accurate system, follow their instructions and install it from the REAR forward. This seemed counterintuitive to me, so I tried it the other way. Let's just say you're gonna want to do it their way. Apparently mine was not their first exhaust system...

LOL

X2.. I have nothing but good to say about the Schumacher headers and Mikes service.Had them on several of my cars.TTI also says to install from the rear forward.Installed about 6 sets before reading the instructions,,,,They are right,(dooh !) and installation was much easier.

First off I would have to ask why you would choose Schumacher headers for a B body car.
I have used Schumacher headers on a few A body builds and understand why people use them for A-body's.
I'm going to assume since this is a B-body forum that you have a B-body.
I've had Headman,Hooker regular and Super Comp headers in my 67 Charger.
And all these headers are not a problem with install or leakage.
I think you would get better performance with regular headers.
At $775 for coated headers that's pretty steep.
I have used there tti's X-pipe on my 67 Dart and needed to take the car to a muffler shop to have it fitted and I was using the tti's 2 inch A-body headers.

Pic of tti's X-pips
IMGP0400.jpg

Pics of the Super Comp's.
ResizedImage_1345221463222.jpg

Just my .02

womanator, this is in the 62-65 B body section, so I assume that's what's bein discussed. What early B body have you had with headers and a low deck motor? I would love to see what you used, as I am lookin now for some for my 65 Coronet that's gonna get a 383. Thanks.

womanator, this is in the 62-65 B body section, so I assume that's what's bein discussed. What early B body have you had with headers and a low deck motor? I would love to see what you used, as I am lookin now for some for my 65 Coronet that's gonna get a 383. Thanks.

I have a friend that put headman headers in a 65 B-body,I'll leave him a message.
He's on his way to Arizona so it might be a day or two before he gets back to me.
I've not done a early B-body but I have put Headman headers for a B- body into an A-body with a little massaging.
I take it that early B-body's are narrow like the A's.

No sir, they are nice and wide, the width is not the problem. The engine in the early B body is much further forward in the chassis than the 66 and up, requiring different headers.

I have a friend that put headman headers in a 65 B-body,I'll leave him a message.
He's on his way to Arizona so it might be a day or two before he gets back to me.
I've not done a early B-body but I have put Headman headers for a B- body into an A-body with a little massaging.
I take it that early B-body's are narrow like the A's.

thanks for the input . yeah it is a 64 dodge 440 getting a 440 put in it. have had some good feedback on the 62-65 site as to tti's and at half the cost of accurates will be calling them today. it is crunch time to round up the last bits on the this project.

I had Hedmans on my 64 Belvedere with a 400 engine and junked them. Terrible fit with a B Block. They'd fit better with a 440 though. I put manifolds back on and I'll be using Schumakers or TTI's the next time around.

Which primary tube size were the Hedmans? Because if they were the 2", the Hedman book says they will not fit the 383. The 1 3/4" it says will. I know that sound crazy, because the 383 should have more room, but evidently, the higher sitting 440 helps matters.

I had Hedmans on my 64 Belvedere with a 400 engine and junked them. Terrible fit with a B Block. They'd fit better with a 440 though. I put manifolds back on and I'll be using Schumakers or TTI's the next time around.

thanks for the input . ordered up a set of tti h pipe 2 1/2" system. asked for band clamps for the muffler if i need to change 'em out. Man this is sick... the exhaust system is coming to close to what i thought i would spend on the entire engine swap. sold one bike, thinking about selling another soon for some other goodies i want. a sickness it is. moparightous, and i got it bad.

Attachments

• sik kid.jpg
    sik kid.jpg
    7.1 KB · Views: 259
Yeah they are not inexpensive to fix up. There have always been 2/3 less of them than the other two of the big three and the aftermarker prices accordingly. But all I have to do to justify being a Mopar guy is look at a 71 Road Runner against a 71 Mustang.

Mine were the 78030. Pretty sure they are 1-3/4. For the performace value for me, I rarely run the car over 5K rpm and the manifolds seal up so nice. When I build a motor I'll shove headers good headers on then.

Auto Transport Service
Back