• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Science quiz: What's the difference in using crude oil?

Project farm on YouTube showed that sour crude oil can be but directly into your gas tank and a internal combustion engine will run on it. But it won't run on straight light crude oil. Which I thought was very interesting.

Wars are for population control. You take all the fertile males and send them out to die.
The women don't have time to raise children because they are the ones working to replace the missing male workforce.

Been that way since time began.
The next war should be a real population adjustment tool.....
Maybe we should let the women fight the next one

Sour crude is extremely nasty. Has H2S, water, emulsion, it’s acidic. Sour crude contains everything from asphalt based material, gas oils, diesel, jet, naptha (gasoline), along with butane, propane, and ethanes, not to mention all the debris. Raw crude is not going to run in your car. Problem with refining sour crude is it eats metal. Refinery’s need to be set up to be able to handle the acidity and remove the sulfur. Also need to be able to process the asphalt material (coking). There’s several types of crude oil, they all produce or favor different products but contain almost everything just in various amounts. Sweet crude is much lighter and contains more lighter materials (very easy on equipment to refine) Syn crude is mainly gas oil type material. I may know a little bit about refining..

Last edited:
Project farm on YouTube showed that sour crude oil can be but directly into your gas tank and a internal combustion engine will run on it. But it won't run on straight light crude oil. Which I thought was very interesting.

See my above post, they didn’t put sour crude in a vehicle and run it. Trust me. You would have a gummed up, plugged up, wet tar’y mess that doesn’t burn. It’s complete bs. So if they made something work it was staged. Or I dont understand the test, it surely wouldn’t work with any kind of normal engine with normal fuel metering.

Last edited:
See my above post, they didn’t put sour crude in a vehicle and run it. Trust me. You would have a gummed up, plugged up, wet tar’y mess that doesn’t burn. It’s complete bs. So if they made something work it was staged.
Yes he did! He did say the sour stuff smelled real bad . He had to add 33% gasoline to the light sweet crude to thin it out because he couldn't jet the carburetor rich enough because it was too thick. I'm no expert but this is what happened in his video. At least with the samples of crude oil he had.

Yes he did! He did say the sour stuff smelled real bad . He had to add 33% gasoline to the light sweet crude to thin it out because he couldn't jet the carburetor rich enough because it was too thick. I'm no expert but this is what happened in his video. At least with the samples of crude oil he had.
Sweet crude is thinner than sour crude. But I know from experience, not YouTube.

I worked in maintenance in a sour crude refinery for 26 years and saw the effects it had on the equipment. 33% cutting with gasoline isn't going to do a damn thing but MAYBE prolong the inevitable for a short time.....

Like I said. I'm no expert . But this is how the video by project farm went. Maybe I'm wrong? I still thought it was interesting. Maybe he or I got the two different crude oils mixed up ? ? ?

I worked in maintenance in a sour crude refinery for 26 years and saw the effects it had on the equipment. 33% cutting with gasoline isn't going to do a damn thing but MAYBE prolong the inevitable for a short time.....

Almost 20 years in operations myself. Good to see someone else with refining experience!

So, which is older heavy or sweet?
I'm pretty sure age doesn't have much to do with it. Sour crude has much more sulfur in it than sweet crude....and a lot of other job mixed in but sulfur is the main ingredient that makes it sour.

Auto Transport Service
Back