• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Seat removal for '71 Roadrunner

Ritchie Valens

Local time
11:30 AM
Reaction score
Hello Everyone, I am a fairly new owner of a '71 Roadrunner that was restored years and years ago but it's in great shape. I have added some photos...

The rear seats did not come with seat belts and I am planning on installing them. Left, middle, and right. I've learned how to remove the bottom part of the rear seat by pushing in and up and therefore disengaging the seat from the clips.

However, I'm not really sure how to remove the back portion of the seat. I can see the partition that sits between the trunk opening and the back of the seat.

My questions is does the back have a trick to remove it also? Do I have to remove the rear passenger side panels? (hopefully not) And also, if anyone has any photos of where the rear seat belts are bolted to the floor, to include a middle seat, that would be awesome. Thanks guys!

~Ritchie

04744D76-AE9B-4FD2-975D-95454B61E01B.jpeg
04BD2730-42D7-4864-BABD-4151A1F3B45E.jpeg
Unknown-6.jpeg
Unknown.jpeg

There two metal tabs on the bottom of the seat back that protrude through tabs on the seat then bent over. Straighted them out, pull the seat bottom towards you then slide it up off the upper hangers.

The rear side panels do not need to be removed to take the seat out. Perfect instructions above.:thumbsup: The 2 clips, Pull towards you and up. Great looking car!
0090A217-AB19-4F07-812F-0E01AF6B811D.jpeg

Last edited:
Here is what one of the tabs looks like. Right at the bottom of the wheel well.

IMG_2339.jpg

The rear seat-back in my 71 had 2 steel loops from the inner seat frame that held it down at the seatbelt bolts. I dont know when it changed but assume it was in mid 71 production. Its hard to believe the changes were between assembly plants.

The rear seat-back in my 71 had 2 steel loops from the inner seat frame that held it down at the seatbelt bolts. I dont know when it changed but assume it was in mid 71 production. Its hard to believe the changes were between assembly plants.
That's the way my rear seat back is in my 71 Plymouth.

Im not sure you even need to remove the seat back to get to the seat belt bolt holes. They’re easy to find, they will be the only threaded holes under the seat, usually very close to where the bottom bun and the seat back meet.

Im not sure you even need to remove the seat back to get to the seat belt bolt holes. They’re easy to find, they will be the only threaded holes under the seat, usually very close to where the bottom bun and the seat back meet.
Correct. One on each side at the sill and one each side of the tunnel. The center belts and inner straps share the same bolt locations. Your 71 should have come from the factory with federally mandated seat belts front and rear. They were required in everything 68 and up.

View attachment 1307163 View attachment 1307164 Great shape ? That is one of the best looking road runners I've ever seen.
Thank you WileERobby! I wish I could say I had something to do with it, but I got it after all the work was done. But man, I love driving this car. I get a ton of folks wanting to hear the "beep-beep" horn and a lot of thumbs-up at red lights. Already had a guy offer me a good amount for it- apparently it looked exactly like his very first Roadrunner from 1971!! I had to decline as I am attached to this bird. Nothing like your very first classic MOPAR.

There two metal tabs on the bottom of the seat back that protrude through tabs on the seat then bent over. Straighted them out, pull the seat bottom towards you then slide it up off the upper hangers.
Thanks for instructions T2R9, If I run into any issues, do you mind if I private message you with questions? I won't bug you unless it's crucial! Haha

Correct. One on each side at the sill and one each side of the tunnel. The center belts and inner straps share the same bolt locations. Your 71 should have come from the factory with federally mandated seat belts front and rear. They were required in everything 68 and up.
Thanks mopar 3 B, yeah once I removed the bottom seat, I could barely see what I believe to be the seat belt holes, but they were much higher up the floor like you said near the tunnel... A few folks have said on this thread that I may not need to even remove the back of the seat, but I guess I wanted to make sure I was using the right holes and I wanted to really clear view of what I'm looking at. But I'm stoked now with all the quick info I got, I'm ready to get to work!! I have most of the belts, still waiting for one to come in the mail...

Thank you all for the super fast feedback!! Being a first time classic car owner especially of a MOPAR is fun as hell to work on, but it's also a bit nerve-wrecking. When I installed the Gull-Wing, I had to drill the holes into the top of the trunk lid... talk about measuring a million times and my hands shaking as the drill got closer to the lid!! Hahah but it came out great!

Next I will be installing a passenger side bullet style racing chrome mirror to match the driver's side. I got some buddies that own classic cars telling me to just drill the holes and stick it on! Hahah but I've learned there is a much better and secure way of doing it. And that's what I'm loving about owning this bird.

I'm super happy to have such a bitchin community of good folks who are willing to share their knowledge and experience. You guys are the BEST!

I own a '72 Runner, so I always read, with interest, anything related to this era Bird. This is what I LOVE about FBBO, and why I became a Gold Member - you'll always get valuable info from those here before us - and it's usually pretty quick, as you now can attest to. Congratulations on your find, and purchase! It's a great looking car!

You can get the proper mounting hardware for the right hand mirror install at 521 reatorations
Screenshot_20220712-154159_Samsung Internet.jpg

I own a '72 Runner, so I always read, with interest, anything related to this era Bird. This is what I LOVE about FBBO, and why I became a Gold Member - you'll always get valuable info from those here before us - and it's usually pretty quick, as you now can attest to. Congratulations on your find, and purchase! It's a great looking car!
Thanks 4404ME! Yeah man, the team came out quick with guidance and even photos on what to expect. I'll be posting some more pics soon on some of the small jobs I've managed to get done! Thank you again my friend!!

You can get the proper mounting hardware for the right hand mirror install at 521 reatorations
View attachment 1312090
Hey 71RRHI, that's exactly what I ended up doing brother! It came out great and the mirror, which does have some weight on it, is on the body nice and secure. Those rivets help me sleep better at night!! I'll share these same photos later on another post of the small jobs I've done recently. Thank you again!!
rhMIRROR1.jpeg
rhMIRROR.jpeg

Auto Transport Service
Back