• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Seats and Harness

Gospel Runner

Local time
8:27 AM
Reaction score
What are you using for race application seats? Are aluminum the way to go or the fiberglass? Anyone have pictures of how you are securing them to the floor? Is the 5 point SFI seat belt standard? Any particular brand better, or are they all basically the same?

I have the factory bench seats in my coronet with a 6 point roll bar. And pyrotect 5 point harness.

I use Kirkeys with their covers. Very comfy for an all out race seat. As for mounting, we fabbed tubular mounts and have a mount near the top of the back that goes to the roll bar belt cross bar. I will be moving to racecraft adjustable mounts for the bottom as I have to lift myself up to see over the hood currently.

I had selected my SCAT PROCAR seats for their appearance, but they also have slots for a 5 point harness. I couldn't ask for a better look, and they are good for comfort with one issue being the exception, but that's because I'm 6'3" and about 270#. They are a little narrow where my hip joints are, and that makes them a little uncomfortable on long rides. I may see about a "wide" version one day, but I know I'm going to pay a lot more, and I may need to get them custom covered to get yellow and black. They were only about $200 each.
Other colors available. It's really strange when shopping for seats online how 2 different seats that look similar can be so far apart in price!
Scat 80-1605-66L: Sportsman Series 1605 Race Seat - JEGS High Performance

Thank you for sharing!
I was lucky in that I found my seats 45 yrs ago in a 1965 dodge van, they weigh 30 pounds each and thats pretty fair for a stock seat. I am using also stock bucket seat mounts from a unknown b-body, also from many years ago. if you are lucky enough to find a set of van seats it will be worth the effort to attain them and mount them. Dave.

I was lucky in that I found my seats 45 yrs ago in a 1965 dodge van, they weigh 30 pounds each and thats pretty fair for a stock seat. I am using also stock bucket seat mounts from a unknown b-body, also from many years ago. if you are lucky enough to find a set of van seats it will be worth the effort to attain them and mount them. Dave.
Van seats, to reduce weight in a car for competition...
What a great idea! Hmm...I think there was a factory production collaboration on some lightweight cars that had the most powerful engines put in them by Hurst back around 1968, if I could only remember the details about them. LOL.
Seriously, what van model and year seats did the 68 HEMI Barracuda and Dart cars come with? How similar are your 65 Dodge van seats to the van seats that the HEMI A-body cars came equipped with?

I had the plastic formed seats in my last car. My back was sore after every outing. Since running a stock style lightweight seat it's great. Never sore. To be honest my back never bothers me, even today just shy of age 68 . So I would stay away from the plastic seats.
Doug

the seats that are in my old 64 Plymouth, as far as I can tell they are the same seat as the SS cars had in 63-4 and 5, at least they look the same, and they are light, and have foam rubber on them. the bomber seats that were being sold surplus at the time had no cushions and were very narrow and uncomforable, the seats that were sold years later were light but costly, some were padded and some were not. I do not think that the A-bodys that Hurst modififed for SS/AA in 68 had the van seats, I think they were an aftermarket seat, I was a B-body guy

Last edited:
I dont think the seats in the super A cars from Hurst were the same seats as the old van seats that the 64 and 65 super B cars was. Dave.

Every time I hear or read about the unique weight reduction steps that were taken by Chrysler in the 68 Dart and Barracuda HEMI cars, the strap replacing the window mechanism (regulator I think the mechanism is called?) the thinner Corning glass, fiberglass bumpers, fenders, and hood, and the seats from a van...always part of the discussion.

If you're looking for that '60s look and style, there are these low back buckets similar to the A100 van seats made by Smittybilt (44801 in black vinyl), which can be found on some of the 4x4 web pages. I bought these maybe close to 3 years ago for a project that I was involved in at the time. Of course you can make/have made some of the A990 type brackets and build them to fit your height and comfort level. BTW, I have this particular set still, if anyone might be interested.

20190410_120504.jpg

20190410_120536.jpg

Last edited:
I have the fiberglass buckets in three cars, cause they are light, and can be bolted to the roll bar like nhra requires. The aluminum seats will also work too. I don't understand how comfy stock style buckets can be tied to the rollbar. And if you have a bar, and lowbacks, you need a headrest welded to the bar.
One car has the seats bolted directly to the floor, one has adjustable aluminum mounts similar to those posted above for the driver's side, but a welded tube frame on the passenger side.
Seat belts are whoever has the right color in stock when I need them, RCI, RJS, Crow, Racequip, whoever. Camlock is nice, latch link is fine.

. I don't understand how comfy stock style buckets can be tied to the rollbar.
Factory seats don't have to be attached to the rollbar. Pretty sure it's because they figured the factory floor attachment was adequate.

I dont think the seats in the super A cars from Hurst were the same seats as the old van seats that the 64 and 65 super B cars was. Dave.
I thought the AA/H cars had folding back seats, and the vans were fixed? I could easily be wrong, but I think that's what I heard.

I bought the Jegs seat and their cushioned seat cover. It is very light and fits me like a glove. I am going to look into getting a cage?

I have aluminum racing seats in one of my cars with padded seat cover. They are very comfortable. We made custom tubular framing underneath and bolts to custom made tubular tubular mounts to the cage with tabs. Don't have and good pictures of just the frames. They are more heavy duty than they look. They are gusseted and crossed braced underneath but can't be seen from side views.

IMG_54301.jpg

20150424_205804_resized.jpg

100_1669.jpg

I have aluminum racing seats in one of my cars with padded seat cover. They are very comfortable. We made custom tubular framing underneath and bolts to custom made tubular tubular mounts to the cage with tabs. Don't have and good pictures of just the frames. They are more heavy duty than they look. They are gusseted and crossed braced underneath but can't be seen from side views.

View attachment 1370218

View attachment 1370219

View attachment 1370220
Those look like my kirkeys

I thought the AA/H cars had folding back seats, and the vans were fixed? I could easily be wrong, but I think that's what I heard.
The A990 cars and the van seats were made by Bostrom. Mine are 25 lbs. with the aluminum mounts.

Auto Transport Service
Back