• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Sell me on CalTracs

RonnieK

Local time
5:55 PM
Reaction score
Asking the group to sell me on something that I already know I’m going to eventually buy…

Finishing my 68 Charger dream car. 383 powered street/strip car. Hoping to be in the Hi-13’s, Low-14’s range. 28x10 on a 15 wheel DOT slicks slapped onto my 8.75 with 3.91’s all held together by new Moser axels and this nifty Detroit TruTrac dif.

Buttttttt, stuck with the 54 year old leafys like a sticky Midwest day and they gotta go. Dad’s ran CalTracs on drag Mopars before and swears they’re the greatest money you’ll ever spend (he’s probably right) but goodness they’re pricy. But hey, can’t take it with you, right? I’m supposedly on a budget. Lol.

Before I yolo into the buy button, thought I’d get some last minute thoughts, comments, feedback. Are you an attorney? Change my mind or hammer me home like a sledgehammer. What should I be thinking about that I’m not? And send me them sexy pics of your B-Body with them on because why the heck not?

That sound you just heard? Likely me ordering. Or my bank calling me because I’m spending too much. Or both. Live life to the fullest ✌

79C77E90-B81A-4246-8100-E752E16BF11D.jpeg A265391E-56A3-461A-9D75-F6C10D99DA77.jpeg 0D4B8716-EDF0-458E-9886-DAA6D145CB37.jpeg

Call Calvert racing, he’s the best one to sell you on caltracs

Last edited:
I used Assassin Bars on my 69’ Dart GT. Just like caltracs except, more adjustability. I had adjusted the left side a bit too much and I launched that 470, Dana 60 3:73’s, 4 speed and that damn thing went hard left. It was AWESOME!! Got that side adjusted correctly and straight launches from then on.

Last edited:
You only need the springs. Get the bars down the road. We have a 12.0-12.5 car works fine with leafs alone.

A high 13 second car? No question. Save your money and run leaf springs.

Cal-tracs are not so great on the street.

You don't even need cal trac bars to run 12's. I would invest in some good aluminum body shocks from QA1 etc. first.

Stock springs, 4-speed, dumping the clutch at 5k with the nitrous on:

245273820_4755295684483345_1567871985773050704_n.jpg

I used Assassin
Same here. I was going to get a triangulated 4 link, from RMS or GERST, but "the forum" and my own research convinced me to go with leafs (Split mono leaf springs from Calvert) sliders in the rear vs shackles, and most importantly Assassin traction bars from Smith Racecraft. Mr Kim Smith was helpful on the phone, but I know Calvert is as well. The main reasons why I got Assassins was more adjustments, and the clearance was slightly less than low profile CalTracks, but more than full size CalTracks, and I definitely prefer the way they contact and interact with the leaf springs.
I agree with the others, get your leaf springs replaced if worn (I only knew mine were by having them wrap up so much on the 1st launch as to bend the mounting U shaped main bracket of the top of the line Mancini pinion snubber) and get a pinion snubber. I was running low 13s at 107 with 2+ second 60ft times, thus the traction aids and all kinds of other stuff I've added. Now maybe I can launch beyond idle.
Screenshot_20220103-183947_Gallery.jpg
20210820_222415.jpg

My 9.5:1 383 powered Super Bee with a 284/484 cam and 3.55 gears, 3 angle valve job 906 heads, factory converter, Hooker Super Comps, Torker intake, and hybrid 680/750 Holley was a mid 13 second car.

Shouldn't be terribly hard to get your slightly heavier Charger there without too much exotic equipment.
With a similar engine build, the 3.91 gear alone might do it.

We had a local group of Mopar guys that all ran mid 13 second quarters.

Mostly big blocks but one guy had a 73 340 Challenger with 3.91's that kept up with everyone.
IIRC he had the 280/480 cam and a high stall converter.

Good shocks, new springs and even some sliders. But if you really want good input go to the racers hangout and read what they have done. Lots of great input around here. As others have said continue to work your way up to that level.

I have Catracs and split mono leafs on my Challenger and drive it on the street. No complaints. They work....

123_1(1) (1).jpeg IMG951109.jpg

Caltracs work great!...... if you need them. As do the assassins. You don't need em, either one, for a 13 or 14 second car......or 12s,..... or 11s.
When you start talking 550-600 hp, then caltracs.
I have been mid eleven on slant six springs with rear clamps removed, extra front segment clamps added, and decent shocks.
Op has slicks and gears. Clamp the springs, and run it. If it needs more, a set of ss will work.
I LIKE caltracs, they work! But a thousand dollars of springs, shocks, and bars aren't necessary for 13s.

@6PKRTSE what is the reason for the obviously extra tall Shaker scoop? For my Bill Mitchell aluminum RB block based 572 I'm changing intakes on my 70 V-code Roadrunner N96 and one of the big reasons why I am using an Indy ModMan is to try to keep it low enough to work with the N96 setup, and I'm determined to use my Promax modded Holley 6bbl carbs.
Oh, and you deserve a :thumbsup: and a :lowdown: for having a 6 Pack RT/SE...

@6PKRTSE what is the reason for the obviously extra tall Shaker scoop? For my Bill Mitchell aluminum RB block based 572 I'm changing intakes on my 70 V-code Roadrunner N96 and one of the big reasons why I am using an Indy ModMan is to try to keep it low enough to work with the N96 setup, and I'm determined to use my Promax modded Holley 6bbl carbs.

Uh, the tunnel rammed twin dominator nitroused hemi. Lol

I stretched the length of the hood opening, base and scoop 2", raised it 5-1/2" taller and opened up the nostrils 2-1/2" taller to clear all of this.

20180220_191817 (002).jpg 20180331_154502 (002).jpg 20180627_222831.jpg 20180627_222915.jpg 20200421_155802 (002).jpg IMG_8666.jpg IMG_8664.jpg 123_1(2).jpeg

If you plan on going faster later on go ahead & get the caltrac springs , sliders & bars now,
street car, street tires[M&H] mufflers ect,
Charger55.jpg

Waste of money for your application, spend the money elsewhere.

Again, but more..
:thumbsup::thumbsup::thumbsup::lowdown::lowdown::lowdown::moparsmiley::moparsmiley::moparsmiley:
Thank you. It was alot of work. I think the end result was well worth it. I didn't want a big ole pro stock scoop or a Chevy cowl induction hood at all. I like to be different.

Auto Transport Service
Back