• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Selling a car out of state

Got a sizable check from a Russian Federation country and I called my bank to see if it was good. They said oh yeah it's good. Then I called the bank it was drawn from and they said they wouldn't know for at least two weeks. When I pressed my bank further, they said they had up to a year, now, because the legitimacy of the check had been questioned. My trying to check it out gave them a whole year to cover themselves. Of course, they never offered any of this information, I had to drag it out of them with numerous phone calls. I am planning to sell a 66 Charger, and the wire transfer to my bank into a secondary account sounds like a good idea.

Cashier certified check is probably the safest way to complete this .
I would walk the check into the bank speak to the branch manager and give direction that check must be 100 percent cleared .
I would have the buyer use the same brand of bank for the check as well so you know the funds are cleared at their purchase time .Have the manager between branches speak .
I have heard stories of a bank clearing check only to come back later and request return payment .
My what might be extra steps but is the safest .
Last note if the buyer purchases with out viewing I would get a sign off on that as well .

Selling a car in California to a Pennsylvania buyer. Once $$$ has transacted, can I sign the Title and Certify Mail it? Will the new owner be able to register it and all the rest?

bought my car in NY he sign the title and bill of sale. No problem getting a title in my name here in SC.

bought my car in NY he sign the title and bill of sale. No problem getting a title in my name here in SC.
I’ll probably ship the car. Can I just ad lib a bill of sale?

Looks like the California Release of Liability” form is done online now.

Can the tax be fudged like the old days.

I think gifts refer to family only,could be wrong but that is how it is here in SC.

Auto Transport Service
Back