• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Shaving razors

Richard Cranium

FBBO Gold Member
FBBO Gold Member
Local time
6:02 PM
Reaction score
Replacement Razor blades are so damn expensive. Gillette must be making a friggin' fortune for what they cost! I'm just curious if anyone here has ever used one of the mail order razor blade places like Harrys.com or dollar shave club?

Thoughts.....................

https://www.harrys.com/redeem

https://try.dollarshaveclub.com/try-the-club/?utm_source=goog&utm_medium=cpc&utm_term=dollar shave club&utm_campaign=branded-usa&cvosrc=cpc.google.dollar shave club&matchtype=e&mobile=&creative=48339568190&adposition=1t1

I use an old school safety razor. Closest shave ever...for pennies. Worth the initial investment.

Great idea RC, I've been wondering the same thing...$20 for 3 razors is ridiculous! Disposables suck, electric hurts like hell...

Last edited:
I have a Harrys razor, and the shave is superb - absolutely smooth. That being said I generally don't take the time to lather up and instead use my cordless electric Philips for daily cuts.

I use Harry's and have been pleased with the results.. I don't like heir shave cream as it is too thick and clogs the blades. Instead I use this.
300.JPG

I think the cost differential is more than worth it. Harry's is $16 for 8 refills and the others are anywhere from $16 for 5 to $30 for 8!

Jeff

Because of this reminder, I just logged into my Harry's account and ordered another 8 pack of blades. :)

Philips rechargeable triple head electric for me. Tried the disposables, as I hate the big headed razors ...my son now uses the disposables.
Watch out for the 'el cheapo' Gillette - most likely Chinese knock-offs - they are everywhere. Our local auction site has banned the sale of razor blades unless you can supply the site owners with authenticity of the product. If ebag did that, imagine how much stuff wouldn't be on sale.

I've had a Braun for about 8 years, It doesn't pull like others I tried.
I bought one of the expensive triple rotary head brauns, I've used it 3x in 3 years.I have had root canals that hurt less....it came with an electric travel razor that does ok and is tolerable...

Poly I have one now too....still have to shave a little around the neck cheek though...wife hates it, but it beats block sanding my face everyday!

2578427_rd.jpg

Dollar shave club was just purchased by Gillette. Happened in the last week or so. One Billion $$.

Dollar shave club was just purchased by Gillette. Happened in the last week or so. One Billion $$.

Really?? I suppose the price will either go up or DSC will be no more.
I've been a member for about a year now. I would say the blades arent as comfortable to shave with as the Gillette's I had been using but the DSC blades shave close. No complaints. I get the 4 blade versions, 4 new blades/mo for $6
My wife uses the same razor, she likes them too.

Update: Unilever bought Dollar Shave Club. Man, the founder must be smiling!
http://www.bloomberg.com/news/articles/2016-07-20/unilever-buys-dollar-shave-club-with-152m-in-sales

Last edited:
I tried the Dollar Shave club {IIRC}
a dollar a month 3 razors {IIRC}

they were marginal at best if you shave everyday they weren't bad
If you skip a day here & there they sucked,
I went back to the
Bic Disposable {orange ones} single blade for sensitive skin,
close enough shave for me & the girls I know...
I get dermatitis or razor rash really easy {esp. in the summer}
so I don't shave every day, I'm semi retired don't need to either...LOL

I have my Grandfathers single edge throat cutter, I don't even want to try it,
it's freaken' sharp as hell too

I have a Harrys razor, and the shave is superb - absolutely smooth. That being said I generally don't take the time to lather up and instead use my cordless electric Philips for daily cuts.

I see that they have 2 razors; the Winston & the Truman. Is the difference only in the handle and is there any difference in the blades between the two?

Waiting for a consensus. I too am sick of paying high prices for crap blades. How about the one Rick on Pawn Stars advertised?

Waiting for a consensus. I too am sick of paying high prices for crap blades. How about the one Rick on Pawn Stars advertised?

My dad bought one, he finally after 50+ years broke his old
Wilson {?} double edges single blade safety razor,
he likes it {new one}, the quality isn't anything like the org. thou...

it does the job

I see that they have 2 razors; the Winston & the Truman. Is the difference only in the handle and is there any difference in the blades between the two?
There's no distinction on their site, if you want refills the only question is quantity. So I would think that both handles use the same blades. They use the same photo and description for each.

Auto Transport Service
Back