• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Shocks

old guys rule

FBBO Gold Member
FBBO Gold Member
Local time
6:29 PM
Reaction score
Finding very different opinions on KYB gas adjust shocks on this site. What's the real deal?

Which opinions are you looking for?

Some say that they ride ruff. Some say they are noisy like a thumping noise on bumpy roads.
Can't say personally,I use good 'ol Monroe's.

Been using KYB for years and I like them. The Monroes I've put on for customers are usally weaker then the old ones taken off and end up changing them for KYB. Just my opinion.

Just put some KYB gas adjusts on a 63 Belvedere along with all poly bushings. My old *** could not compress the shocks so I put them in a press just to get them going so to speak. They are firm for sure will see how it rides when done. I have a set on my 67 Chevelle for 20 plus years and they still hold the gas charge, found that out when I put some new springs in last year. Nice ride for me. My Duster has them also. The Roadrunner needs shocks and will go with the same KYBs.

I put them on my Charger and the ride is much more controlled, just what I was looking for. Slightly rough over broken pavement or tar strips but overall I like them

I think the kyb's were designed for a stock type suspension with 60/ 70 series tires. I think if you were to put them on a car with upgrade torsion bars, sway bars and a 40 series tire you would find them stiff and want a Bilstein that is valved the opposite of the kyb.

The KYB's that came on my Satellite were very rough. I could feel every crack in the road. As started to convert the car to more of a drag car, I installed Comp Engineering 3 ways. Amazing difference on the street. So much smoother I couldn't believe it.

The KYB's that came on my Satellite were very rough. I could feel every crack in the road. As started to convert the car to more of a drag car, I installed Comp Engineering 3 ways. Amazing difference on the street. So much smoother I couldn't believe it.
Agreed.

The KYB's seem good until you try a better shock, then you'll say to yourself "never again"!
Of course it really does depend on what the car is set up for too. I was also surprised at the better ride the CE shocks gave, even for a "race" shock. I made that switch once and not only did traction improve, but the ride quality did as well. More 'normal' driving? Bilsteins = huge difference. Of course, you pay for that difference. Unlike some "performance" upgrades, you feel the shocks every moment you go down the road....IMO buy the best shock you can afford for the car's usage.

KYB's pretty stiff with a leaf spring car, especially if it has increased spring rates. On my old non-mopar brand car that had a soft 4 coil spring setup, the KYB's complimented that otherwise soft ride nicely.

I have allways bought shocks through napa and had no complaints.
My son in law bought a set of kyb s on line and one bushing mount busted off in the 1st couple miles of driving.
Pulled the others off , he is getting a refund but has to ship them back.

Auto Transport Service
Back