• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

shop questions, height, style, etc.

BeastlyBirdie

Local time
11:06 PM
Reaction score
Ok, my wife and I are in the process of building a house (actually a Foremost modular) and putting in a shop. So our land is open for whatever we want.
So, size will probably be 30x48 plus a 12 foot leanto enclosed. The questions I have are more about what inside height. And what building types have you guys used, and why. No lift, nor any desire for one. Doesn't have to match the house or anything, nor are there any restrictions. I will be insulating and drywalling, etc, so just planning on having the shell put up.

Thanks for the information and experiences.

Hoover is a company friends and family have used for garages and horse barns. http://hooverbuildings.com They build really good post style structures. I think companies that build metal buildings are a dime a dozen, especially since their usually from kits. I don't know how good Hoover will be for you, since they're a South Carolina company, but they have a good website with a lot of nice projects to give you ideas. Personally, I look for 20 ft ceiling height, or a minimum of 16 ft. It's harder to heat, but gives you plenty of room for overhead expansion and also allows you to add pallet rack storage or other means. My current building has 12 feet ceilings, which work but I'm struggling with storage, as I want everything off the walls and floors as much as possible. Plus, I do furniture and wood work, so I have to separate my shops.

Auto Transport Service
Back