• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Short/ Long block explanation ?

pearljam724

Local time
3:15 PM
Reaction score
What makes an engine a short or long block ? A different design in length front to back ? In hearing the two terms over the years I thought short or long block referred to a small or big block ? But, I see big block 440’s are considered short blocks ? Can someone explain this ? I know what engines are classified as small or big blocks ? But, I’m don’t get the short or long block part ?

Long block usually means with heads attached.

Short and long block describe the engine configuration.

Short block is the lower half minus the heads and intake.

Long block is typically heads and some times intake.

What makes an engine a short or long block ? A different design in length front to back ? In hearing the two terms over the years I thought short or long block referred to a small or big block ? But, I see big block 440’s are considered short blocks ? Can someone explain this ? I know what engines are classified as small or big blocks ? But, I’m don’t get the short or long block part ?
Short block means a block with crank and pistons installed. Will need the heads and cam, and valve train installed. May have the oil pump and pan installed.

Long block means it's complete with heads, cam, timing chain, and valve train installed. Ready to drop into vehicle. May or may not have intake manifold installed.

Last edited:
Makes sense now. Thank all of you for taking the time to explain it to me. I’m honestly not this stupid, ha ha ! Is it correct to classify a short block with a used crank, used pistons and used rods ? Or should it only be referred to as with new parts ? Or it’s normal to refer a short block with used or new parts ?

Could be either, the seller should specify. Like a brand new short block from the factory or a new rebuilt or a used one.

Short blocks are for white men of western European decent.

Long blocks are for black men of African decent.

...Or something like that.

Auto Transport Service
Back