Should I or shouldn't I - Fatmat installation

Interior

1. TekHousE

TekHousE Well-Known Member

Local Time:
    3:25 AM
    OK, I looked over many threads on fatmat/dynamat etc.

I can get Fatmat at a good price in Europe, and it seems it is slightly better than dynamat. But before all that..What I want to know is, SHOULD I do this or not?

How far do I go if I do, what happens to entering my car to shows etc.? Will it be marked down for having it?

I love the idea, especially since I drive my car as mush as possible in the summer. Making it quieter would be a really good thing. I know my wife would like it more if it was quieter when riding in it to shows etc. But, I am torn between doing it and keeping my car as close as possible to stock.

I am sure others have debated this, so I would love to hear what tipped the scales in either direction for you all.

• Like Like x 1
    • bee71

bee71 Well-Known Member

Local Time:
      8:25 PM
      I for one am skeptical of the benefits of the pricier dynamat over the stock insulation that was standard.One thing I noticed that a lot of times the sound deadener and insulation is skipped or forgotten in the trunk and rear package tray. That to me makes a big difference in quieting.

• TekHousE

Local Time:
      I agree, and the trunk especially worries me the most. As it is as obvious as tits on a bull that a major mod has been done when your car is being judged.

• Propwash

Propwash Well-Known Member

Local Time:
      7:25 PM
      The benefits of noise reduction are big. Have it in my bird. I don't know "Judged car shows" too well, but if you put it under your package tray panel board, inside of the trunk to rear seat divider and under the carpet, how will they even going to know it's there? I have it in all those places and the roof, doors, firewall, quarters up front and can't even hear my "Beep Beep" horn when the windows are up.

• Like Like x 2
      • eagleone1983

eagleone1983 Well-Known Member

Local Time:
        6:25 PM
        I'm not sure it would make enough of a difference if you have to hide the areas a judge can see if you are going that route. We are talking the trunk and firewall. I don't think a judge would know if it's on the package tray or not but they might. If you don't care about the judging I'd say do it. I didn't just put down Fatmat I also put in aircraft insulation. The fatmat I only used in key areas to deaden sound.

• Like Like x 1
        • TekHousE

Local Time:
          I was going to do the trunk to back seat divider, the package tray, firewall and floor.

Of course judges over here do not look under carpet etc. so that is good. And I was going to put the original sound deadener over teh top of the fat mat on the parcel tray. So it looks stock. (my stock one is 'new' anyway)

@ Prop, did you put it on the seat divider on the SEAT side, so you cannot see it when looking in the trunk? And how much did you use in your case?

• Propwash

Propwash Well-Known Member

Local Time:

Yes sir......I ended up putting it on the inside, facing the rear seat. As far as how much I used total, about 80 SQ FT (7.4322 SQ Meters)

• Like Like x 2
          • Dennis H

Dennis H FBBO Gold Member FBBO Gold Member

Local Time:
            I write "do not judge" on my show placards so I don't care about that. The installation is as important as the product. Quieter. Cooler. Warmer. Do the roof if the headliner is out. Don't forget the doors.

• Like Like x 1
            • furyrestored

furyrestored Well-Known Member

Local Time:
              I used fat mat in my coronet under the carpet and it made a big difference..also its way cheaper than dynamat and its the same stuff

• Like Like x 1
              • TekHousE

Local Time:
                Thanks guys for the replies.

I now plan on doing fatmat under the carpets, up the firewall, rear seat divider to trunk (seat side as Prop did), and doors. I have a really good headliner, so I really do not want to mess with it, and I can see some kind of silver foil stuff if I look really closely into the headliner holes. So I think there is something there already put in by the last owner.

:)

• 318 Six Pack

318 Six Pack Well-Known Member

Local Time:
                Is Fatmat made by the same firm? Wondering how anybody knows if it really is the same thing. I plan on using one or the other all over my Charger. Doors, firewall, floor, divider, package tray, etc. For the roof I plan on using some sort of insulation, probably closed cell and might put that in the trunk lid and quarters too.

Anybody know how well Fatmat/etc. insulates from heat?

• TekHousE

Local Time:
                They are not made by the same company. If reviews and posts are something you can go by, then fatmat is equal to dynamat, but most times cheaper.

• Like Like x 1
                • dpstark2

dpstark2 Well-Known Member

Local Time:
                  5:25 PM
                  I have RattleTrap (same company as FatMat I think) in my Charger's trunk and down to the passenger's feet area- not under the main carpet. It made a noticeable difference in exhaust noise, but I can't comment on heat. My intent is to do the whole car at some point when the carpet comes out. I have done the whole car in my Dart, but it isn't driving yet, so I also can't comment. My feeling from other cars that have done the same is it provides substantial noise and heat insulation, but it's really hard to compare before and after.

RattleTrap is way thicker than Dynamat, which I used on another car with similar results.

• Like Like x 2
                  • Cornpatch MO

Cornpatch MO Well-Known Member

Local Time:
                    Does Fatmat or Dynamatt have a "petroleum" smell to it?...........................MO

• furyrestored

furyrestored Well-Known Member

Local Time:
                    no smell at all my buddy bought 100 bucks worth of dynamat and only got a couple squares,,i thought he was pulling my leg.i showed him what I got from fatmat for the same price and he was amazed two big rolls that I did my whole floor and doors In my coronet and still have almost a whole roll left ...it looks almost identical to his dynamat except for the name on the foil side...there is no way that dynamat can be that much better of a product looking at them side by side and the difference in price is a joke

• dpstark2

dpstark2 Well-Known Member

Local Time:
                    5:25 PM
                    The RattleTrap has a distinct rubber smell to start with, but it dissipates quickly. I got it at Amazon in bulk. This was enough for me to do my Dart's trunk and floor and the Charger's trunk up to the rear seats. I still need more to do the Dart's roof, doors and firewall (and the rest of the Charger some day). Compared side by side, the price/quality ratio is far superior to Dynamat. I can't yet comment on the "full car treatment" comparison, but Dynamat didn't impress me much and this is like 60% thicker.

• Like Like x 2
                    1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
                      By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.