• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Should i remove my fender tag?

and red loctite.

The VIN on your car proves it's an R/T.

Safety torx screws if you're that concerned.

If they really want it, they'll have to work and likely spend some time and money.

Today i removed the fender tag, put it in a zip bag and stored it in a box together with all documents / history of the car. Starting with the original dealer invoice.
My car would cost 33000$ new in todays money. :)

Now i can sleep way better since my car is due for inspection (TÜV) soon.
This means i need to drop it off at a shop because otherwise it probably won't pass. :D

I am with the leave it on the car opinion. I do like the machine screw and nut mounting idea for R/Ts ect.
Put the original screws in a safe place.
If your worried about shop workers stealing the tag you need a new shop to deal with.
We see many ( my car is missing its fender tag ) posts.
Most of us are older, if we live long enough we will prob forget were it was stored. Once they stick us 6ft. under nobody will know the tags location.
Car gets sold and we see another missing tag post. Lol.

I have never heared of a tag gone missing at a car show in germany or europe.

Most cars do have the hood shut at a shows anyway here unlike in the US

put back on already?

No i'm not going to put it back on. But i store it safely together will all the cars documentation.
If the fender tag goes missing, everything including the title goes missing.

I might be paranoid but better safe than sorry.

Interesting - To each his own. Whatever allows you to sleep at night. I have to say I never even knew what a fender tag was for most of the time I owned the car - almost 5 decades. So never worried me a bit. I'm just glad and lucky it never disappeared in all that time. I knew little of the, until I restored the car 5 years back. Also found the build sheet which was another piece of documentation I knew nothing about. Call me stupid - I just bought and drove the car - then stored it for many years etc. Must the luck of the Irish all that stuff was still attached within.

For yours I'd leave it on too - super secured as some of the guys suggest. Who the hell is going to all that work to likely ruin it trying to steal it - more likely the whole car will be stolen than just the tag.

No i'm not going to put it back on. But i store it safely together will all the cars documentation.
If the fender tag goes missing, everything including the title goes missing.

I might be paranoid but better safe than sorry.
I thought you were going to sell that car because it was too difficult to work on.

Install a duplicate fender tag on the car and place the original in a safe with your documents.

Keep the hood closed at car shows and always have it secured with chain along with an alarm. Station two sentries at each end of the car.

Having fun yet?

I know someone that was at a car show and his power steering reservoir cap was stolen. Hood was up and he had left his car unattended.

Friends need to watch out for their friends.

I think tags have more chance of getting lost if removed it for ”safekeeping“ than of getting stolen at a show.
That’s happened a lot. Maybe you won’t forget where it is, but what if something happens to you, will your family or survivors know where it is or even what a fender tag is?
I put a repop tag on my T/A and wonder what I should do with its real tag and Mr Norm paperwork. I am thinking the tag should go in the console. The paperwork can’t go in the car though, it might deteriorate.
My convertibles tag is buried under an AC line, I think it’s safe.
I wonder if there are any tamperproof screws small enough to use to secure a fender tag?
Otherwise shutting the hood when you aren’t with the car is an option.
Clutch headed screws will keep a tag from disappearing, heck, they’re hard enough to get off even with the right tip!

Interesting - To each his own. Whatever allows you to sleep at night. I have to say I never even knew what a fender tag was for most of the time I owned the car - almost 5 decades. So never worried me a bit. I'm just glad and lucky it never disappeared in all that time. I knew little of the, until I restored the car 5 years back. Also found the build sheet which was another piece of documentation I knew nothing about. Call me stupid - I just bought and drove the car - then stored it for many years etc. Must the luck of the Irish all that stuff was still attached within.

For yours I'd leave it on too - super secured as some of the guys suggest. Who the hell is going to all that work to likely ruin it trying to steal it - more likely the whole car will be stolen than just the tag.

But 5 decades ago those cars have been WAY cheaper new (mine would be 33000$ new in today's money) than now "used". It was "just" a used car.
With the appreciation came lots of people trying to capitalize on this and many don't play fair. (At least in my opinion)
They just want to get as much money out of you as possible and often you get crappy service for an exorbitant price.
Kinda like those guys charging 40$/day for parking at miami beach. :D

If you think about it.
Here in germany you can't even buy a new volkswagen golf for 33 grand these days.
But the majority of people still only net ~ 2k/month.
Work more, pay more & get less seems to be the new theme.

It changed a lot after the 2000s. Of course its not just in the automotive world, it's everywhere.
But i've been lied to (and in my opinion ripped off) enough times so i'm not bringing my car to the shop except in rare cases when i just can't handle it myself.
Needless to say i don't trust them hence removed the fender tag.

But as i said it's everywhere. I also used to go to restaurants quiet frequently, now i almost never. (Quality is down and prices way up)
And so on...

Edit:
If you're going to buy a used car with low demand you will be able to find a good example for a low price without 10 people trying to rip you off. (Same with the maintenance)
But if the car is in high demand and rare things start to turn into a nightmare...

Last edited:
But 5 decades ago those cars have been WAY cheaper new (mine would be 33000$ new in today's money) than now "used". It was "just" a used car.
With the appreciation came lots of people trying to capitalize on this and many don't play fair. (At least in my opinion)
They just want to get as much money out of you as possible and often you get crappy service for an exorbitant price.
Kinda like those guys charging 40$/day for parking at miami beach. :D

If you think about it.
Here in germany you can't even buy a new volkswagen golf for 33 grand these days.
But the majority of people still only net ~ 2k/month.
Work more, pay more & get less seems to be the new theme.

It changed a lot after the 2000s. Of course its not just in the automotive world, it's everywhere.
But i've been lied to (and in my opinion ripped off) enough times so i'm not bringing my car to the shop except in rare cases when i just can't handle it myself.
Needless to say i don't trust them hence removed the fender tag.

But as i said it's everywhere. I also used to go to restaurants quiet frequently, now i almost never. (Quality is down and prices way up)
And so on...

Edit:
If you're going to buy a used car with low demand you will be able to find a good example for a low price without 10 people trying to rip you off. (Same with the maintenance)
But if the car is in high demand and rare things start to turn into a nightmare...
No different here pal - you have to watch your wallet everywhere you go for whatever you do. I wouldn't disagree with you on any of that - just dont quite see it on the theft of a fender tag. It has no value by itself. Now if you toss in the car with it of course .... Ca Ching

I wouldn't disagree with you on any of that - just dont quite see it on the theft of a fender tag.

Well maybe i'm too paranoid regarding fender tag theft.
But i remember reading where one got stolen/went missing while the car was in a shop i think for paint it was.
So it does happen. To each their own but for me it's better safe than sorry.

You know i just got this nightmare about leaving my car at a shop to get some work done (that i can't do myself) and getting it back without the fender tag.
I've seen a few mopars lately with there fender tags missing i for one wouldn't buy a car without its fender tag in place

What thieves don't like is-

Anything that increases the time it takes to quickly make off with something or anything that increases the chance they will be seen doing it.

Simply using tamper resistant screws accomplishes that. Even a small machine screw with a nut on the bottom will case MUCH more time to be taken and likely cause someone to squat beside that car with they hand up in the fender.

Most thieves of convenience simply will not do that due to increased time and exposure.

If you are worried about a shop- take a dated pic of the tag when you drop it off, and when you pick it up, open the hood with the service personnel present and inspect for it. If it is missing, summon the manager and ask for the video footage, and I'll be the tag miraculously appears.
IMO this is extremely unlikely. Alternatively remove the tag prior to taking to a shop. How many time do you anticipate doing this? My classics have never been to a shop other than a small handful of times to a shop where I've known the owner for 35 plus years.

I say leave them on. A buddy of mine acquired a 70 Charger. He brought the fender tag into work for me to decode it for him. Several years later I purchased said 70 Charger from him. However, to this day he still cannot find the fender tag. He lost it somehow. They get lost once removed.

At a show, I simply close my hood if I walk away from the car for any reason. Plus, many people would rather take pictures of a car with its hood closed, anyway.

I’ve thought about removing my fender tags but haven’t done so. Although it would be a big loss to lose one it’s only one of several things easy to vandalize or steal. On 66/67 others are steal the gas cap, steal the shifter ball, and break off the hood ornament. Not to mention the often reported car show incidence of returning to your car to find some fat women wedged in the back seat doing or thinking who knows what. I’ve leaned just to not leave my car alone at cruise night unless at least one of my buddies is still there watching it.

Auto Transport Service
Back