• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Shoulder belts

TKMSavoy

Local time
5:47 AM
Reaction score
I would like to install shoulder/lap seatbelts in my 1962 Plymouth savoy (4 door). Has anyone done this and if so all where did you get them and were you satisfied? Thanks!

I have done this on 67-68 A body 4 door cars in the past. I got the 3 point chrome latch type through Jegs.
On a B body I'm not sure how wide the post is like the A body and the A's had a nice chrome cover on the exterior post to hide the work.Maybe you can do the same if the Fury model has trim.I was pleased with the results. Shown is a few photos of the 68 Valiant Not the best but All I got
IMG_2604.jpg
IMG_2606.jpg

There goes that Idea unless the 62 post is wider than my 63 4 door.
On the 63 the exterior post is narrow.You may be able to remove the trim plate inside and see about a mount there.
On the A body I drilled a 1 1/8'' hole from the outside then a 1/2'' on the inside to install a 1/2'' bolt for the upper mount of the seat belt.The large hole was to install internal reinforcement plate.

Last edited:
Thanks Darter6, shoulder harnesses are available for 1964 and on B bodies. I’m wondering if they have a wider center post than the 62, allowing room for the shoulder harness? I will check into the measurements. Thanks for responding.

I installed a driver-side, three-point, non-retractable shoulder harness/lap belt in my '62 Savoy Suburban (bench seat) from Wesco Performance, www.wescoperformance.com. It cost about $55. They have many options to choose from (color, buckle, retractable, mounting hardware, etc.). It came with directions also. My "B" pillar was wide enough to accommodate the anchor plate after some minor trimming. Looks like yours is a four-door, so it should be the same. I can send a picture or if you need assistance, let me know.
You may want to add this website to your "favorites", 1962 to 1965 Mopar Restoration Vendor and Parts Sources (ornocar.com)

I installed a driver-side, three-point, non-retractable shoulder harness/lap belt in my '62 Savoy Suburban (bench seat) from Wesco Performance, www.wescoperformance.com. It cost about $55. They have many options to choose from (color, buckle, retractable, mounting hardware, etc.). It came with directions also. My "B" pillar was wide enough to accommodate the anchor plate after some minor trimming. Looks like yours is a four-door, so it should be the same. I can send a picture or if you need assistance, let me know.
You may want to add this website to your "favorites", 1962 to 1965 Mopar Restoration Vendor and Parts Sources (ornocar.com)
Thanks 69plywgn, I checked out the Wesco website, glad to hear that it worked on your 1962 wagon, so no reason it shouldn’t work on my Savoy. You offered to send a picture or two, that would be a great, should give me a better idea regarding location. Thanks for your offer of help, if I get stuck I’ll reach out I know you are in White Lake. And thanks for the vendor and parts source list I put it in my favorites for future reference. Any reason you didn’t use the retractable? Was there a space issue on the retractor? Thanks for your help !

Also, are there existing anchor bolt locations on the 62 ?

TKMSavoy: The directions give an approximate location/measurement for the "B" pillar anchor plate, but the location can be changed a little based on your seat position, your height, etc. The '62 Parts Catalog lists a seat belt package, but doesn't provide much detail other than "as required." There are existing attach points (welded nuts) on both sides of the driveshaft tunnel for the inboard half of the lap belt. I'd assume they're also in the lip of the floor structure for the outboard lap belt. I think mine got damaged when the floor pans were replaced, so I decided against the retractable type and bolted it through the flat part of the floor. For rear seat belts, I think you'd have to drill holes in the structure, but I'm not positive. I've seen it done though.
P3120004.JPG
P3120005.JPG
P3120007.JPG

TKMSavoy: The directions give an approximate location/measurement for the "B" pillar anchor plate, but the location can be changed a little based on your seat position, your height, etc. The '62 Parts Catalog lists a seat belt package, but doesn't provide much detail other than "as required." There are existing attach points (welded nuts) on both sides of the driveshaft tunnel for the inboard half of the lap belt. I'd assume they're also in the lip of the floor structure for the outboard lap belt. I think mine got damaged when the floor pans were replaced, so I decided against the retractable type and bolted it through the flat part of the floor. For rear seat belts, I think you'd have to drill holes in the structure, but I'm not positive. I've seen it done though.View attachment 1082640 View attachment 1082641 View attachment 1082642
Thanks 69plywgn the pics are helpful, I will check for the weldnut locations. I previously put lap belts in the backseats, there aren’t any weld nuts so I drilled holes on either side of the tunnel and used stainless bolts and fender washers. Hope my weldnuts for the front seat are in good shape or I’ll be doing the same in the front.
I’ll check back with my progress.

69plywagon - I finally installed my Wesco shoulder harnesses, 5 hours to install passenger side, 2 hours for drivers side (learning curve:) B pillars are very narrow on the 4 door, had to trim the backing plate to 7/8” but got it to fit. Found weld nuts, installed retractor using weld nut and an “L” bracket, had to drill hole in floor for “L” bracket that holds the other end. Weld nuts needed cleaning up with a tap, also put a second nut on for safety sake. Used weld nuts for short belt near the drive tunnel, all in all they look great and def feel safer, thanks for your help!

Auto Transport Service
Back