• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Show Me Your Mopar Roadside Tool Bag!

threewood

FBBO Gold Member
FBBO Gold Member
Local time
2:52 AM
Reaction score
Show me your roadside repair tool bag. I was rummaging in the trunk of my 62 Belvedere and pulled out my repair bag. I could probably use a few more items...
17032070847341772528702692801430.jpg

I'd like to threewood, but it's about -10 up here, and the cars been put away. Anyway
mine looks pretty much like yours except I've got a tow rope and jumper cables.
I hope you have a ballast resistor in one of those small boxes!

I'd like to threewood, but it's about -10 up here, and the cars been put away. Anyway
mine looks pretty much like yours except I've got a tow rope and jumper cables.
I hope you have a ballast resistor in one of those small boxes!
No ballast resistor needed as I swapped to the Pertronix II. But I do have one along with points in the Pertronix box.

Haven’t had to use any of it yet! Could probably use a few more things myself but better than nothing.

IMG_1789.jpeg

Nice! I use to have plugs in mine. Found the crush washers to two of them.

I do the work in the shop so I don't need to work on the road... I have a cell phone, a AAA card & a credit card.... I'm good to go... In fact I'll be doing 750 miles in a couple weeks....

Word to the wise......make sure your emergency tool bag is soft and somewhat held down. One burnout or powerslide and a hard *** toolbox will smack the inner quarter and giveyou an oh **** moment with a big ol' dent. My buddy had a similar incident and boy does he still swear to this day he shoulda never had whatever he had in the trunk. Just a word of caution make sure they are tucked away neatly. I hate carrying coolers and chairs to the rowdy shows for that reason haha!

Too much to drag out and show...I carry a tote box containing spare belts, hoses, a PS pressure hose, fuel filter, and extra fluids - oil, coolant, brake, PS, trans. I also have a tool bag with some screwdrivers, pliers hammer and electrical items - wire, connectors, crimper, multi-meter. Spare dist. cap, coil, voltage regulator, ballast resistor, points and condensor in case the 25 yr old Pertronix takes a dump though I recently picked up a spare Pertronix kit. I also have a socket and wrench tool kit in a plastic case, jumper cables and a scissor jack. I usually throw my regular toolbox in the trunk for long, multi-day trips for good measure. Probably a few other things I am forgetting.

Seems like a lot - good thing my car has a big trunk lol, but I've done a fair number of roadside or car show repairs over the years as well as helping others. I have needed most of these items at least once, usually on long trips, and the Boy Scout in me says to "Be Prepared".

Cell phone and credit card. In the 42 years I’ve been driving my GTX it has been stranded one time. The MSD 6AL went down when I was driving home from a get together at my buddy’s garage condo. I called a rollback and within an hour it was safely home in the garage…

No pictures but I put a bunch of hand tools in a soft sided Craftsman carry bag
Along with spare belts, and in a separate cardboard box is spare ballast resistor, dist cap and points / condenser sets along with a carb kit and 2 floats.

If I take it long distance of more than say a few hours one way. I have a small floorjack in a plastic carrier I may throw in the trunk.

Cell phone and credit card. In the 42 years I’ve been driving my GTX it has been stranded one time. The MSD 6AL went down when I was driving home from a get together at my buddy’s garage condo. I called a rollback and within an hour it was safely home in the garage…
Might Suddenly Die :)

I think belts and hoses are a necessity along with the tools to swap them for long road trips.

I have not been stranded by my old cars yet. I had an instance of my charging system going full tilt charge once, but I had a vr replacement installed in 10 minutes.

I don't have a picture, but have driven far away from my home on three occasions - twice across country.
I carry what I believe will be hard to find in an auto parts store, and what is reasonably small. So:
- electronic ignition box
- voltage regulator
- spare MSD box
- spare cap and rotor
- spare in tank fuel pump
- spare big block water pump
- spare belts
- spare O2 sensor for the fuel injection
- plastic zip ties
- duct tape
- a small selection of wires, connectors and electrical tape to fix wiring issues
- and of course, a decent selection of tools to allow most roadside work to be done.

I might have forgotten something, but that should be the bulk of it (my car toolbox is inaccessible at the moment - car is on the lift with another below it).

common hand tools
electrical tape
flashlight
teflon tape
fan belt
hand cleaner wipes
spare pertronix unit
jumper cables
piece of emery cloth
test light

The cell phone credit card theory works too. It just seems kind of foolish to wait for a flatbed to arrive and tow you home for something simple that could be fixed on the side of the road or in a hotel parking lot. There have been a few times where I was able to fix a minor issue and be operational in less than 30 minutes.

Auto Transport Service
Back