• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

SHOW ME YOURS AND I'LL SHOW YOU MINE

multimopes

FBBO Gold Member
FBBO Gold Member
Local time
12:24 AM
Reaction score
Now that I have your attention, I first want to apologize for the lewd intro, nothing unwholesome here.
Although I broached the subject in the Suspension section by almost hi-jacking someone else's thread, I am just looking for a few pictures of factory power and non power steering shafts from the firewall to the steering box. My car was (raped), or should I say "stripped for the strip" of it's factory power steering and a manual installed for drag racing only. I have seen one or two other cars and have a FSM but the details are sketchy and pictures not what I need to reference. I have a factory power box but am not sure it will bolt up. My car is a 1973 Satellite RR clone. Another car of the same year has a universal in the shaft where mine does not. I am also considering the Borgeson upgrade although it's expensive. I am posting here because I think that I need pictures of cars from 71 to 74 with all engine setups. Being a Satty, RR or GTX I would like to see several so I can deduce what was put in mine. I attach a pic of mine to show what I am looking for. Any help; pictorially, financially, or psychologically would be greatly appreciated. Thank You!
DSCF3932[1].JPG

It looks like someone did you a favor and added a spacer instead of changing the column out you might just get away with putting a power steering gear box in it and go

Here's a couple of pictures of my 73 RR with power steering. All stock, Hope these help. Kinda dark.
DSC03270.JPG
DSC03274.JPG
DSC03274.JPG
DSC03274.JPG

It looks like someone did you a favor and added a spacer instead of changing the column out you might just get away with putting a power steering gear box in it and go
You might be right! Thanks. I hope you are. It is a lot to go through so before I do I want as much info as I can get.

Thanx Hemi RR GTX, It looks very similar to mine. That (can) you have is what they show in the FSM. Maybe they merely removed the cover on mine. It looks to me that they used an aluminum cooling fan spacer on mine to adapt it. I'm not sure. I also wonder if I can do this swap with the motor in place. Even if you can on a stock motor, the headers will most likely be a pain to deal with. I already bought the proper pitman arm for the swap, however, they didn't mention an idler arm swap when doing this where ever I read about it. It would make sense as they should both be similar in length I would think.

Yeap, looks like a spacer job of some sort. Looks a lot like a fan spacer?

Multimopes,
The rubber disc that is bolted to your spacer is an original part that is mounted in the center of the can that you see on my set-up. I agree with Bb70charger500. If you change to a power steering box it may be longer and your steering column will be the correct length.

I think you are both right. Also I forgot that the shaft telescopes in or out a small amount to help adjustment. If in fact, I still need a fan spacer, I know they are available in several different thicknesses. It might be easier than I thought. There still is the question of being able to do it with the clearance issues without major surgery, like pulling the motor or dissecting half of the engine bay. I don't want to leave the car undrivable during this nice weather. I still wonder why a friend of mine who took his whole 73 apart has a steering shaft with the universal on it. I only saw it after it was removed and in pieces. The FSM also never shows the (can) taken apart. I just don't want to jump to conclusions without some more evidence to take into consideration. Also I don't want to get in over my head and have to drop a load of cabbage that I don't have on this. I know that I can do it myself but I must do it on the ground with jack stands and/or ramps. I will consult the Oracle@Delphi (the FSM) first. Has anyone here ever swapped out a steering box on a 440 with headers? Just looking for a heads up before I dive in blind. I would really like to go the Borgeson route as I want o put A/C in the car eventually and it would make more room for everything. Thanks for every ones input.

I was able to remove the power steering box on my RR with the 440 and Headers. The left motor mount and both Header collector flanges will need to be unbolted. Jack the drivers side of the motor up a few inches to gain clearance so you can remove the 3 steering box bolts. Disconnect the steering column from steering gear. It should slide out the bottom of the k-member.

Thanks Hemi,
That doesn't sound too bad at all. By the way, in your pictures I can see the car wasn't yet running, (no carbs, spark plugs etc..) . I noted the access plates to the upper control arms are removed. Did you or do you know anyone who left them open while driving to help dissipate heat? I tried it for a while whilst trying to get to the bottom of heat issues. I just wonder if doing so would help or hinder under hood cooling? And thank you once again for your input!

The pictures were taken during my engine re-install after I had replaced the head gaskets and had to modify my oil pan because of center link was hitting the pan on hard right turns. Also I rebuilt the whole front end, new brake calipers and hoses.

Regarding the access covers on the inner fenders, I really don't believe they would affect cooling either way. There purpose is to obtain access to the upper control arms during alignment and spark plug access for the big blocks. Since my car was a 440 car it has the large opening on the passenger side. I run without that rubber splash shield and have not noticed an issue.

I swapped mine out in my Charger with a 400BB, it wasn't fun but it didn't require a tear down. If I remember correctly I had to unbolt the header but didn't remove it. Those columns telescope quite a bit but I'd start putting penetrating oil to it now (preferably from inside if possible) in hopes that it moves freely by them.

I swapped mine out in my Charger with a 400BB, it wasn't fun but it didn't require a tear down. If I remember correctly I had to unbolt the header but didn't remove it. Those columns telescope quite a bit but I'd start putting penetrating oil to it now (preferably from inside if possible) in hopes that it moves freely by them.
Thank you for responding. I am not looking forward to doing it, especially if I have to unbolt the headers as that requires another headache. I think some of those bolts go into the water jacket and I can envision broken off studs and exhaust leaks and such as a result. Undoing the collectors is nothing but messing with the heads is another animal. Maybe I should sell one of my internal organs and pay someone else to enjoy doing it. I would really like to do the Borgeson system anyway. I think there is enough wiggle room for the factory power box with my fan spacer without the telescoping thing to worry about. I have read that there are plastic guides inside the column that can break if you are not careful. I would though like to see exactly what is inside of that factory (can) that is shown in the FSM and on 73 Hemi's setup. Thanks again!

By the way, I would really like to see some pictures of non power steering shafts as well and any aftermarket setups. Curiosity has me wondering just how many different combos there are. Why some cars came with the can and others with the universal setup. I'd also like to see a shot of a Borgeson box and how it looks after installation. Thanks. Hell even a rack and pinion setup would be cool as well. I am speaking only of 1971 to 74 models. Thanks

Some pics of the "can" as you call it. Its a protective shroud for the rubber joint. Inside the can it is the rubber joint which has machined steel inserts molded into the rubber at the contact points where the screws go through the rubber. I also included some pics of the assembled joint after I refurbished it. Also a pic of it installed in the car. I have the factory power steering set-up on my '73 road runner.

IMG_1355.JPG IMG_1356.JPG IMG_1501.JPG IMG_1505.JPG

Thank you, that sheds some light on it. They don't show that in the FSM. Without a reference like you good folks here provide I'd be lost; (more so than I am already)! LOL

Does no one have a picture of a manual column setup or a u-joint shaft? Really would like to see a Borgeson setup installed.

Auto Transport Service
Back