• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Simulated Cosmoline paint

Richard Cranium

FBBO Gold Member
FBBO Gold Member
Local time
6:38 AM
Reaction score
Does anyone know if anyone makes a spray paint that looks like the Cosmoline color on the lower control arms?

Thanks in advance. :headbang:

isnt cosmoliene that stuff they used to spray new cars with to ship them over seas to keep the salt water form eating them away ? i never heard of it as a color.

anybody got a pick.we use battery spray multiple times a day here in the shop.at least i could tell you if its close to the color.only prob it would have is that it is a super dirt attractor.

anybody got a pick.we use battery spray multiple times a day here in the shop.at least i could tell you if its close to the color.only prob it would have is that it is a super dirt attractor.

I've not used it myself, but I believe you topcoat it with a satin clear after application.

Thanks for posting that. Real cosmoline is a goo that always remains sticky & as such, it attracts dirt and I think that's what that aerosol is, but I'll check with Rick's Restorations to be sure. Personally, I just want to get a paint that simulates the look of it.

Thanks for posting that. Real cosmoline is a goo that always remains sticky & as such, it attracts dirt and I think that's what that aerosol is, but I'll check with Rick's Restorations to be sure. Personally, I just want to get a paint that simulates the look of it.

I know it an old post, but I have to correct you, as real cosmoline, from Cosmolinedirect.com does not remain sticky. In fact, it drys to a hard waxy feeling substance, and you would t know that it is cosmoline. It will preserve steel or years without maintaining. I did my truck with it, and it's bad ***. I know people that have done it in the Upper north east that have had it on for years, with little maintenance, and trucks have zero rust, no dirt build up and looks amazing. You can get it in black as well. People don't believe me until the feel it and see it for themselves. But, that is actual Cosmoline, from Cosmoline the company, the original, the ones that make it for the military and is used on military vehicles..

It's much like the WAXOIL coating that's sprayed onto the bottom of my vehicles. After decades in the military I see the similarities to Cosmoline.

Does anyone know if anyone makes a spray paint that looks like the Cosmoline color on the lower control arms?

Thanks in advance. :headbang:
I’m sure like me. You’ve cleaned your share off plenty of guide rails in your life. Lol.

Oh yes.....showers running hot and steamy with soldiers trying to get the crap off of and out of their weapons...

Auto Transport Service
Back